Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Cast Iron Cooking/Camping.

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by DR. HOUSE, Jul 15, 2010.

1. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

Aug 26, 2009
    Mid Nebraska
    Anyone use cast iron while camping?

Looking for some recipes here.

I made a pork roast with all the fixins.

I might either try a cobbler or pineapple cake.
  2. ubersoldat

Oct 20, 2009
    Ahwatukee AZ
    I use a large cast for breakfast mostly...
    Bacon and onion first, biscits on a flat rock next to the coals, eggs scrambled in skillet with bacon grease and real perk'd camp coffee to top it off....

Just the smell of that while coming back to camp from early morning fishing brings back great memories..

3. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

Aug 26, 2009
    Mid Nebraska
    care to elaborate on the biscits?
  4. duncan

duncan Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Feb 15, 1999
    If you want to learn how to dutch oven cook, ask a boy scout or a Scoutmaster! :wavey: Or a good cowboy.

Lodge camp dutch oven - 8 quarts
    Lodge camp dutch oven - 12 quarts
    Huge cast iron wok - fried catfish - yum
    Cast iron sizzler bacon/flapjacks grill

Yeah, I'm crazy for cast iron. Go to some antiques shops and get them for $10. Clean up and season.

This is camp cooking some turkey with cedar and fire firewood for the coals:

Here are some recipes compliments of the Boy Scouts (505 of them):

Byron's recipes are great too! He also seems to be a scouter and one heck of a competitive ducth oven cooker - champion.

Check out his Mountain Man Breakfast with bacon, eggs, potatoes, and picante sauce. Made this a few times with green onions and sausage too. Feeds several hungry Scoutmasters - with Tabasco and coffee you are good to go!

The famous Lazy Dump Cobbler recipe:

Made this in five or so ovens for 40 boys scouts and parents with apple spice cobbler, black forest cherry cobbler, and peach cobbler.

Had some scouts even make pizza in their dutch ovens.

I want this now for car camping with my ovens:

Do it!
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  5. I usually bring out the dutch ovens when camping with the scouts.

I've taught boys to cook pizza's in the dutch oven.

You can pretty much cook anything in a dutch oven that you can cook in a home oven.

I've done roasts, stews, whole chickens, cakes, pies, cobblers.

The most common mistake I see the scouts make is putting too much heat on the dutch oven.
  6. duncan

duncan Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Scouting rocks. Good to hear that vafish!

Scouting definitely gets a lot of boys off of the Xbox and outdoors to cook those nice peach cobblers.

Let us know how your dutch oven experience goes Dr. House.
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  7. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu Kydex Crafter

Jul 18, 2007
  8. Scouting definitely does rock. I just got back from Sea Base on Sunday and am starting top plan next years high adventure trip to Northern Tier. Our troop is at summer camp right now, but 3 weeks off from work was too much so I'm not joining them.

I usually do a dutch oven cooking class for our new scout patrols. Teach them the basics, show them how to cook bread or damper, pizza, risolles, stew of some sort and a orange sponge cake with lemon glaze.

I did have some scouts that didn't listen to my pizza instructions make a bit of a mess trying to cook pizza. They put in a whole jar of sauce. It still tasted very good, it just needed to be eaten with a spoon.

The dump cake recipe you listed is great with chocolate cake and canned cherry pie filling. Makes it like a Black Forrest cake.

One of my favorite Dutch Oven cook books I picked up when I lived in Australia.

I've modified a lot of the recipes a little for US ingredients.
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2010