close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Case of Arrested Street Preacher Who Told Police to "Repent"

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by NorthCarolinaLiberty, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Summary:

Two street preachers were preaching in a public park. Law enforcement told them to turn off their amplifier. They complied. One preacher, Jesse Boyd, then said to the officers, “Shame on you officers, this is the USA, not the Soviet Union.” Boyd also told the officers to "repent."

Boyd was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct. The D.A. dismissed the charges.

The Rutherford Institute has written a letter (see article) demanding that the town revise its noise ordinance and train its officers in the first amendment. They are also seeking $13,000 for the preachers and $2,000 in legal fees.

https://www.rutherford.org/publicat...street_preacher_arrested_for_urging_nc_police

2. High-Gear

High-Gear

Mar 2, 2005
    Kansas
    He was using a bull horn to be heard over the din of the 4th of july celebration, then continued yelling at the officers. I'm thinking if he was interupting another program, a concert, or the like, a disorderly conduct charge was warranted. You have freedom of speech, as long as that speech does not intrude onother's rights.

If this were a case of a muslim "preaching" during a concert in the park I bet it would be a different story.

**** I looked it up, and it appears he was asked to stop during the fireworks and music display, however he chose to argue and then yell at officers as they walked away. His actions were disturbing the other people in the park preventing them from enjoying the program.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012

3. Video of the man preaching in the park:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWbt_UlLZ7Q"]Preaching in Holly Ridge, NC prior to Arrest - YouTube[/ame]

Video of Boyd telling officers to repent and then his arrest. Also shows officer telling the videographer to turn off camera. The officer tells videographer to produce ID:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ami1PcD63k"]Arrested in Holly Ridge, NC - YouTube[/ame]

4. Syclone538

Syclone538

Jan 8, 2006
    It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

The Rutherford Institute seems pretty good, I've been watching their youtube videos for a long time.

5. fowl intent

fowl intent

Nov 27, 2006
    Southeastern NC
    What an jerk. Should have been arrested

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  6. Syclone538

Syclone538

Jan 8, 2006
    For what?

7. IhRedrider

IhRedrider Not a walker

Mar 28, 2011
    Because he has a different opinion than others. Just like the reason there needs to be legal action taken against Chik-fil-a.
    If we allow this kind of behavior to continue, how is the general population going to be controlled by those in power? It's for the children.

8. ImpeachObama

ImpeachObama Fuhgettaboutit

Dec 31, 2010
    Fuhgettaboutit
    If your watching a fireworks event, I doubt you would want to listen to this guy preaching. It kind of breaks the mood of the event. Prior to that, I see no problem.

9. Syclone538

Syclone538

Jan 8, 2006
    You're right, I wouldn't want to listen to him, but that doesn't mean I have the right violate his rights.

10. Obeying lawful directives has nothing to do with freedom of speech. Get a clue.

If I decide to set up a PA system outside your bedroom window and blast a political ideology till the wee hours of the morning, you still going to defend it as "freedom of speech?"

The guy broke the law and refused to obey lawful orders. He should have been arrested. Doesn't matter what his "message" was.

11. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Not Enough Gun

Mar 22, 2004
    If the government representative is attempting to prevent protected speech, it isn't a lawful directive.
    This wasn't outside someone's window, it was in a public park.
    Neither of those things is true, as the District Attorney demonstrated by dismissing the charges.

12. NMG26

NMG26

Jul 24, 2010
    NM
    So it is ok to tell other peoples kids that they are going to hell?

Scaring children is ok? How far can one go with what you can say in public? Profanity..........is that illegal? If I think telling children that they are going to hell is profane, does that matter?

Forcing an agenda on people in a public area seems to get pretty close to rights violation. I must listen to your BS?

No, you can leave, or put earplugs in.

http://www.ehow.com/about_4611061_laws-against-profanity.html

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  13. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    On most occasions we do not agree. This is not one of those occasions.

14. High-Gear

High-Gear

Mar 2, 2005
    Kansas
    Prior to that, they didn't mess with him.

Animal mother,

Can you use a bull horn, or yell and disrupt a concert in a park? Does the first amendment give me the right to force my opinion on others at the cost of their right to enjoy the program?

Also, the DA dismissing a case dies not mean it did not have legal merit. I file disposition forms daily while I'm on light duty, and really good cases are dropped for silly reasons. Our DA is two years behind, and he will dismiss cases with confessions because the dollar ammount is too low to warrant a prosecution. Thus guy surely didn't want the political heat.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  15. Syclone538

Syclone538

Jan 8, 2006
    Nothing about this story has led me to believe he was trespassing.

He stopped using the amp when asked to, so what law, and what lawful orders?

16. Woofie

Woofie Disirregardless CLM

Apr 10, 2007
    Here
    The municipality can make restrictions on speech, and if he was disrupting a public event then a disorderly conduct charge is definitely applicable. He had already committed the crime and police asked him to stop.

He chose to exercise his 1st amendment rights after the police had already decided to politely ask him to quiet down rather than writing him a summons. He has no one to blame but himself.

The DA is a political animal and it is at least as likely that the charges were dismissed as a politcal decision as it is they were dismissed for being a bad charge. I have a feeling that if this had been a "God Hates the Troops" wacko the DA wouldn't have dropped it.

17. Syclone538

Syclone538

Jan 8, 2006
    As long as you allow your children to have contact with that person, yes.

In some cases, without question. In other cases, well, it depends. I think generally yes, and that parents have a responsibility to explain that you can't believe everything anyone says.

If it were up to me, pretty far, and it shouldn't be.

Then protect your children from that, by not taking them anywhere you might meet anyone that might disagree with you.

He turned off the mic/amp when asked, and people seem to be enjoying the event all around him.

18. NMG26

NMG26

Jul 24, 2010
    NM
    Maybe that cop learned some much needed humility.

Wonder what it will take for the preacher?

19. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    You noticed that too? It seemed as if he was intentionally inviting trouble. Where they screwed up is failing to present ID. In most states that is an arrestable offense. They also screwed up in not presenting their identification on a biblical principle:

Mark 12:13-17, "
    <sup class="versenum">13 </sup>Later they sent some of the Pharisees and Herodians <sup class="crossreference" value='(I)'></sup> to Jesus to catch him <sup class="crossreference" value='(J)'></sup> in his words. <sup class="versenum">14 </sup>They came to him and said, “Teacher, we know that you are a man of integrity. You aren’t swayed by others, because you pay no attention to who they are; but you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. Is it right to pay the imperial tax<sup class="footnote" value='[b]'>[b]</sup> to Caesar or not? <sup class="versenum">15 </sup>Should we pay or shouldn’t we?”
    But Jesus knew their hypocrisy. “Why are you trying to trap me?” he asked. “Bring me a denarius and let me look at it<sup class="versenum">16 </sup>They brought the coin, and he asked them, “Whose image is this? And whose inscription
    “Caesar’s,” they replied.

<sup class="versenum">17 </sup>Then Jesus said to them, “Give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s and to God what is God’s.” <sup class="crossreference" value='(K)'></sup>
    And they were amazed at him."

Also:

Romans 13:1-7, "Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, <sup class="crossreference" value='(A)'></sup> for there is no authority except that which God has established. <sup class="crossreference" value='(B)'></sup> The authorities that exist have been established by God. <sup class="versenum">2 </sup>Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, <sup class="crossreference" value='(C)'></sup> and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. <sup class="versenum">3 </sup>For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. <sup class="crossreference" value='(D)'></sup> <sup class="versenum">4 </sup>For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. <sup class="crossreference" value='(E)'></sup> <sup class="versenum">5 </sup>Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience. <sup class="crossreference" value='(F)'></sup>
    <sup class="versenum">6 </sup>This is also why you pay taxes, <sup class="crossreference" value='(G)'></sup> for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. <sup class="versenum">7 </sup>Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; <sup class="crossreference" value='(H)'></sup> if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor."

The preacher might want to examine his own motives.

20. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    You noticed that too? It seemed as if he was intentionally inviting trouble. Where they screwed up is failing to present ID. In most states that is an arrestable offense. They also screwed up in not presenting their identification on a biblical principle:

Mark 12:13-17, "
    <sup class="versenum">13 </sup>Later they sent some of the Pharisees and Herodians <sup class="crossreference" value='(I)'></sup> to Jesus to catch him <sup class="crossreference" value='(J)'></sup> in his words. <sup class="versenum">14 </sup>They came to him and said, “Teacher, we know that you are a man of integrity. You aren’t swayed by others, because you pay no attention to who they are; but you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. Is it right to pay the imperial tax<sup class="footnote" value='[b]'>[b]</sup> to Caesar or not? <sup class="versenum">15 </sup>Should we pay or shouldn’t we?”
    But Jesus knew their hypocrisy. “Why are you trying to trap me?” he asked. “Bring me a denarius and let me look at it<sup class="versenum">16 </sup>They brought the coin, and he asked them, “Whose image is this? And whose inscription
    “Caesar’s,” they replied.

<sup class="versenum">17 </sup>Then Jesus said to them, “Give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s and to God what is God’s.” <sup class="crossreference" value='(K)'></sup>
    And they were amazed at him."

Also:

Romans 13:1-7, "Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, <sup class="crossreference" value='(A)'></sup> for there is no authority except that which God has established. <sup class="crossreference" value='(B)'></sup> The authorities that exist have been established by God. <sup class="versenum">2 </sup>Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, <sup class="crossreference" value='(C)'></sup> and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. <sup class="versenum">3 </sup>For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. <sup class="crossreference" value='(D)'></sup> <sup class="versenum">4 </sup>For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. <sup class="crossreference" value='(E)'></sup> <sup class="versenum">5 </sup>Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience. <sup class="crossreference" value='(F)'></sup>
    <sup class="versenum">6 </sup>This is also why you pay taxes, <sup class="crossreference" value='(G)'></sup> for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. <sup class="versenum">7 </sup>Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; <sup class="crossreference" value='(H)'></sup> if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor."

The preacher might want to examine his own motives.