close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Case Cleaning With Stainless Media?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by .50 cal, Apr 12, 2011.

1. .50 cal

.50 cal

Jan 4, 2011
    Philadelphia
    I'm interested to hear if anyone cleans their cases with stainless steel media and a tumbler, does it work well? would you recommend it? thanks

2. jmorris

jmorris

Apr 13, 2006
    I'll start off by saying I don't but did look into it. The cost of media and switching to a rotary tumbler didn't scare me away and I could live with the pain of drying them but when it takes as long as it does and you clean so few cases I figured it was not for me. It would take 5 loads in a common rotary tumbler to equal what I can clean in my Dillon. Not to mention how much longer it takes to rinse and dry. If I didn't shoot much or enjoyed taking pictures of empty cases I would use it for sure.

3. ess45

ess45

Nov 17, 2006
    It does work.

I would recommend it if you hate dust, you like the primer pockets clean, don't mind depriming the brass first and don't mind the drying period.

I did notice that my progressives are spotless clean since I started using it.

4. SilentVectorX

SilentVectorX

Nov 18, 2010
    I've tumbled .223, 9mm, 45cal, and 308. I usually use a little less than 1 tablespoon of dish soap, a teaspoon of Lemishine, and tumble overnight (tumbler outside on back porch).

Stretched an old T-shirt over a collander and use that to drain off the dirty water. dump the media/brass into a bucket, rinse and drain again. Sort and shake brass from media. Media goes right back in the tumbler - it won't rust. Brass lies on a towel 'till it's dry. I get hardly any water spotting, and the cases are dry overnight.

IMO the best things about SS tumbling: hands stay CLEAN when you handle brass (no oils or waxes involved), no dust, and cases get clean inside.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  5. .50 cal

.50 cal

Jan 4, 2011
    Philadelphia
    awesome, thanks for sharing, I'm glad to hear it works well, I'm going to use this method when I get the eqipment, how many 9mm or .45 can you do at time with a Thumbler model b?

6. SilentVectorX

SilentVectorX

Nov 18, 2010
    I'd say about a little more than you can stuff into a 1qt ziplock for best results. That's about 500 40cal, not sure how many 9mm or 45 that is (fuzzy math).