close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cartridge Case Gauge

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by robin303, Jan 14, 2010.

1. robin303

robin303
    Expand Collapse
    Helicopter Nut

Do I need one. :dunno:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. n2extrm

n2extrm
    Expand Collapse

It is a good investment. What are you loading for? I would say 100% for rifle, pistol is a good idea too. I use them for everything I load. Usualy cheap enough.

3. G36_Me

G36_Me
    Expand Collapse

yes; buy one when you have to buy something and cannot afford anything. They are cheap and worthwhile.

4. GioaJack

GioaJack
    Expand Collapse
    Conifer Jack

I'm bored and in a bad mood so I might as well have everyone on here yelling at me... especially C4W.

I certainly understand the use and purpose of a case gauge but I simply don't see what it can do any better than a barrel(s).

Over that last forty something years I've owned easily over 200 different guns and with the exception of rim fires I've loaded for each and every one of them... and I've never owned a case gauge... for rifle or pistol.

I can smell C4W's keyboard burning.

Now, am I saying that my method is the correct way to do it... no. Nothing I do is the correct way. I've I ever had any type of major problems by not having a case gauge(s). No... not in the least.

Chalk it up to ignorance, or the way I learned or the simple fact that a lot of things that are available today weren't available in the '60's so we just figured out ways to do things differently. Maybe not the right way but we still made it work.

Your question was. 'do I NEED a case gauge?' I would say no, you don't NEED one. Should you have one, I'd venture to say the majority of folks on here would say yes.

If I were you I'd take their advise... I'm pretty much dumber than a box of hammers.

Okay, I feel better now. You're on C4W... be nice to me. :supergrin:

Jack

5. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD
    Expand Collapse

I like them for auto pistol rounds for a couple of reasons, they're tighter than a pistol chamber, so if the rounds fit the gauge, they will fit in your pistol, or any other pistol. Also if thing are starting to go bad in your reloading process, a gauge will detect the problem sooner than a barrel's chamber.

They're also very convenient at the reloading bench, you can gauge the finished case with one hand as it's coming off the press while the other hand is busy getting the next one ready.

Also it's a pain to field strip and clean your barrel every time you want to reload.

Make sure you get a max cartridge gauge, not just a case gauge.

#5 HAMMERHEAD, Jan 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  6. robin303

robin303
    Expand Collapse
    Helicopter Nut

9mm for my G19. They go in the barrel fine when tested. $18.00 wont break me.

Hi Jack. :wavey: I'll stick aroung for your ass chewing. :supergrin:

7. robin303

robin303
    Expand Collapse
    Helicopter Nut

I don't think I seen one of those yet.

8. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD
    Expand Collapse

9. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

I was up surfing the net on my "Playstation 3" thinking "I'm so smart, I don't have to go downstairs to read "GlockTalk" tonight. Then I see this post. Oh, the horrors. :wow:

Anyway, Gio's right. You don't NEED a case gauge. But, if your problem solving a possible case sizing issue it sure is nice. Here are a couple things a case gauge can do (not to be confused with that silly cartridge length gauge thingy for rifle) that a barrel doesn't or doesn't do as well.

1) It will check your rounds to a much higher degree of tollerance then a typical autopistol barrel. It also does not have a ramp that might miss a section of the case.
    2) It will check the rim of the case for burrs and other issues. Barrel does not go as far up the case and will never check the rim.
    3) It will check the case for proper sizing EVEN IF the bullet is seated too long. So if it fits the casegauge but not your barrel then you know it's hitting the rifling. You can check this other ways buts this is the easy quick way to trouble shoot it if you already have it.
    4) It check lenght of the case and bullet.

Nay, you don't need one. Gio surely doesn't. But he's not the one posting "Why doesn't my round go into battery" either. Get a freaking case gauge. It's $12 and will perhaps help you more then you think.

By the way get the Dillon. Stainless Steel, good price. EGW also has a nice 6 hole unit.

10. dudel

dudel
    Expand Collapse

Midway makes some good max guages. You can use the barrel; but you really don't know how it's cut compared to SAMMI specs. For instance, Glock chambers are fairly loose compared to Lone Wolf chambers. What fits in a Glock chamber may not fit in a Lone Wolf chamber. However, if it fits in the case guage, it will fit in both. If you only have a single gun in each caliber, then you could might get along just using the barrel (you may not be able to loan ammo to a buddy). If you have more than one gun with the same chamber, then a case guage is helpful.

I prefer the case guage because it's handier to keep the case guage at the bench, than to take the gun apart when I head to the bench. It's one of the least expensive parts you'll spring for. With proper care, they last forever. I keep mine lightly oiled with some Kroil.

11. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

Do you have that? Is it stainless or steel? If steel does it have a protective coating? I hate things that rust.

12. GioaJack

GioaJack
    Expand Collapse
    Conifer Jack

Hey, home come I've still got some of my ass left... I was expecting a much worse chewing!

Steve probably want to get back to World at War 2 on his PS3. :whistling:

Jack

13. robin303

robin303
    Expand Collapse
    Helicopter Nut

Thanks guys.:thumbsup: I ordered one so I can have another toy to play with.

Well Jack maybe next time. :supergrin:

14. shotgunred

shotgunred
    Expand Collapse
    reloading nut

A case gauge is just a dumbed down version of calipers.
    If you own a set of calipers you don't need one. they are easy and convenient though. Buying one for the first caliber you reload isn't a bad idea. After that they are kind of like steve's FCD.

15. RustyFN

RustyFN
    Expand Collapse

I do the same as Jack. I have dropped some rounds in my Glock and they were fine but they wouldn't chamber in my CZ. CZ's are known for having short chambers. I had to seat the bullets deeper to get them to chamber in my CZ. I don't think a case gage would have caught that.

16. billy396

billy396
    Expand Collapse

It's true that you can use a barrel for a case gauge, but it's much more cumbersome. I gauge every round that I load in a case gauge, that way I know they're all right, and it's very handy having that little gauge to drop the round into before dropping it into the hopper. If I had to use a barrel, it would certainly slow down my reloading. I'm using a Dillon 550, and I can get quite a few rounds out of 1 short evening. Do that every eve, or even every other evening, and you get into the thousands of rounds quickly.

17. WiskyT

WiskyT
    Expand Collapse
    Malcontent

I have enough crap. I don't care if it will fit in a case guage or not. Will it run in my gun? If yes, that's all I need to know. I don't tumble brass, mic loaded rounds, weigh charges, clean primer pockets, deburr burrs. I have "The Killer Elite" recorded and one of these days when I can get two hours of peace and ****ing quiet I'm going to spend my time watching that.

18. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD
    Expand Collapse

I have the .45acp and .38 Super, 9mm will be soon. They must be plain steel, because they come in a heavy grease.

19. WiskyT

WiskyT
    Expand Collapse
    Malcontent

Just a thought, one could check all his loaded rounds in a case guage right after he runs them through the Lee FCD

20. W4CNG

W4CNG
    Expand Collapse

I have one for every Pistol cartridge I reload. If it does not fit, it goes into the trash barrel. You get a stuck cartridge you reloaded or bought into your gun you have a mess on your hands including how to get it out without a discharge. I have had 2 times with stuck rounds before getting a case guage for my guns. Yes they are a bit tighter than most barrels and most but not Glock barrels are good guages to check by. I used to have two bags for every reloaded bullet, Glock and Not Glock. I also have one of the new G-RX re-sizing dies for loading 40S&W. I also Chamber Check ALL Personal Protection and Factory Ammo I buy. You would not believe what you can find in a box of ammo off the Dealers shelf. The boxes of ammo have the letters CCQC in Magic Marker printed on them for Chamber Checked Quality Control. My ammo goes bang the first time and never an extraction problem for the last 15 years. Cheap investment for piece of mind.