close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Carrying while listening to MP3 player?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Radam3, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Radam3

Radam3

Jul 22, 2011
    MI
    I haven't seen this posted anywhere yet.

I know situational awareness is very important at all times while carrying. With today's modern, technology driven, society, what do you folks think?

I.e.; for those that never leave the house without a firearm (myself included) what do you do if you are taking the dog for a walk? going for a run? bike ride? or even those people in the bigger cities that just walk to and from work, or on public transportation.

I personally only wear one ear bud, and I know that even this has its downfalls. I like my music, but if my firearm is with me, only my left ear gets to enjoy... lol

Any of you have a better suggestion to be able to enjoy your MP3's while still being aware of your surrounding...???

2. sounds like a good plan to me. as long as the volume isn't to high i don't see a problem:cool:

3. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

Sep 30, 2006
    I wouldn't listen to an MP3 player some place I thought I had to 100% on.

4. I would listen to your mp3 players anyways. The only time you use a weapon Is when it's life or death not because you hear a noise or some guy is walking up to you. I agree with previous if you are in a place like this don't carry mp3 player my opinion lol

Posted from an iPhone

5. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo

Jan 17, 2005
    Eagan, MN
    I just keep the volume down and use crappy headphones that don't keep out outside noise.

PhatAlbert, search for the story from Minneapolis of the guy who had his carry gun taken from him by a mugger when the mugger ran up and slammed the guy into a parked car. It can go from nothing to life or death awfully quick.

6. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

Jan 27, 2009
    CT
    My opinion...

Listening to MP3 players (earbuds in ears) or texting while walking (head down looking down at the phone) are examples of the types of distractions I simply do not engage in.

I don't wish to put myself in the position where I can be caught off guard. Neither by someone who is intending to do me physical violence, nor struck by a car driven by some inattentive motorist. The quicker I can identify a potential situation, the more time/distance I will be afforded to react to it, thus bettering my chances of avoiding or successfully resolving it.

It's amazing how when you are the one out in public who is paying attention you can see how many other people there are who are clearly entirely oblivious to their surroundings. As you point out "with today's modern, technology driven, society" there are a great deal of them.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  7. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    As it relates to common citizens going about day to day issues, we all have to live our lives. I do on most occasions, carry a firearm for self defense. I do not however, leave the house every day as if on some covert sentinel's mission. Going to books-a-million is not a spec-op and if I feel like turning up the tunes, I enjoy myself and dont much worry about it. There are many levels of "paying attention" and we have many senses. If I cant see clearly, I may listen more. If I cant hear everything, I may look around more often but worry about it?.. nah.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  8. robhic

robhic WOLVERINE!!!! Platinum Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Louisiana
    Just reading about this. Dividing your attention. It is difficult to concentrate on more than one thing at a time. This material was in the context of avoiding aggressive behavior by trying to divide the aggressor's behavior by talking and such to make him / her have more difficulty concentrating on their aggression and you talking with them.

Listening to music (or whatever) would divide your attention. Not saying you can't do 2 things at the same time but whether you realize it or not your attention / focus isn't as good when divided. IMO, I'd think concentrating my focus on awareness would take precedence.

9. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Apr 30, 2005
    anyone so addicted to music they would compromise their awareness should just forget about carrying a gun or being aware and let the predators of the world do their job and erase those defective genes from the gene pool.

10. I agree. I also see women who are very pretty wearing those dumb things and then they wonder why they didn't hear the perverts sneaking up on them wearing combat boots. :whistling: I am just amazed nowadays.:shocked:

11. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    I'll bet if I followed you without you knowing I would see you "compromising your awareness" in some fashion dozens of times per day. Or are you a robot?

Perhaps a safer environment would be in order if you have to live every second of your life in utter terror that someone could jump you at any time.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  12. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye

Aug 14, 2006
    Foothills
    But what if their listening to the audio book "Fifty Shades Of Gray"?

13. captdreifus

captdreifus aSun666

Jul 24, 2008
    Tempe, Arizona
    I only listen to music with ear buds when my back is to a wall or what have you. I maintain alertness visually.

14. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Apr 30, 2005
    I bet yu wouldn't start with being naturally cautious and add a few decades as an LEO and awareness of what is going on around you is simply second nature. you don't even have to think about it. it is just part of who you are.

Sounds like the same argument could be made for carrying a gun in the first place. Is that why you carry a gun? because you live in terror that someone could jump you at any time?

I don't live in terror or even fear, I do however know that the gun I carry is not a talisman. It does not magically ward off evil or let me play catch up if I am taken off guard. The gun is merely a tool and it can only be as effective as the one that carries it.

15. Lior

Lior GUNS=FREEDOM

Jul 23, 2004
    Israel
    When I run, armed or unarmed, I do not plug in music, because my surroundings are interesting enough as they are without the distraction of music. I do work with music in the office though.

16. +1. I don't go anywhere/do anything with ear buds. In fact if I had to find a set right now, it'd take me 20 minutes to look for em, and then I'd probably find a set that have never been used. I let the tunes crank at home, I love background music while I work, game, GT, etc. I don't do walks, no dog, and walking anywhere is pretty much a no-go in my part of the woods.

17. mr.z28

mr.z28 learning...

Jun 16, 2009
    BR, LA
    i listen to music through my iphone as i walk the neighborhood every morning...never put the level above 25-30% so i can still hear the background...

18. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    minnesota
    When drivers listening to music playing in their vehicles (loudly), get hit by emergency vehicles with sirens and lights, how can plugging your ears to eliminate outside sounds and listening to music, result in the listener having any situational awareness?

19. I see those people walking about everyday life, and I feel for them. To me, they seem easy prey for those who would be vicious, and are enabling themselves to become a victim at an exponential rate.

20. speedfreakssj

speedfreakssj

Sep 18, 2007
    netherlands
    How about using normal headphones? I do not like the in ear stuff just because most environmental noises like speeding, skidding cars and such are almost not heard until it's nearly too late.

I also keep te volume of my ipod at 60% max. volume with those "low volume music. about 95% of the time it's at 45-50%.

I also only use my ipod on bike rides or when traveling to another city to keep te journey enjoyable.