close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Carrying on a bicycle - what do you do?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by jdavionic, Mar 10, 2012.

1. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
    I already have a separate thread on commuting via bicycle. I am starting this week.

I've got a permit and can carry concealed or open. I've got several holsters, but carrying on a bicycle is a bit different.

Does any carry while riding a bike? I suppose a motorcyle poses similar challenges. If so, how do you carry?

Thanks.

2. NMG26

NMG26

Jul 24, 2010
    NM

3. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    Michigan
    If I were you I'd ride with either a shoulder holster or an OWB holster (probably OC if it's an OWB holster).

4. PaleRider505

PaleRider505

Mar 3, 2012
    Muskogee,Ok
    I don't ride a bicycle but when I used to ride a motorcycle I carried just the way I always do. Sometimes in a inside the pants holster and sometimes an outside the pants holster, as long as my shirt was long enough to cover it. (I'm waiting for someone to recommend a fanny pack for you).

5. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
    Thanks! It will be part of my daily commute and I'm not about to do that unarmed. I agree..."armed every day".

6. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
    I have a blackhawk Serpa holster with the retention device. Admittedly not the best, but it may do for the short term.

7. nastytrigger

nastytrigger Mediocre Member

Apr 10, 2005
    Indiana
    I open carry a Blackhawk Serpa because I want retention, just in case. Comfort too.

8. BK63

BK63

Sep 15, 2005
    CT
    Lots of threads on carrying on a bike. Smartcarry, fanny pack, handlebar bag. The list goes on and on as if you were asking "whats the best holster for"... I personally use a handlebar bag. I don't want the thing working itself loose while I'm peddling 10 miles and not know it dropped onto the road some place.

9. Mongosafari

Mongosafari El diablo verde

Yes, every time I'm out on the mountain bike I am armed. I tried several means of carry until I happened upon Pistol Wear. http://www.pistolwear.com/ most of the time I carry a S&W 642 but I have also carried a Colt Commander in the same carrier.

It's super comfortable and with the 642 I often forget I have the revolver with me.

Bicycle mounted holster/pouch mean you can't leave the bike unless you transfer the firearm to your pocket/body (and do it without being observed).
    My Camelback is too difficult to draw from.
    "Fag bags" well not for me.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  10. rich52us

rich52us

Mar 28, 2006
    WPB, FL
    This is my answer as well. It's the only time I use a fanny pack, but it's both secure and accessable.

11. P35

P35

Oct 18, 2006
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    depends on what I'm wearing, regular clothes, belt holster, cycling clothes, fanny pack

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  12. OMEGA5

OMEGA5

Jun 28, 2001
    Tennessee
    I carry using this bag. I carry a Glock 33 but it'll accomodate
    my Taurus Public Defender just as easily. I carry my bike
    tools, spare tube and patch kit, mace (for dogs), Kershaw
    Chive, wallet, cell phone, Epipen (I'm deathly allergic to Bee
    stings) a Surefire Poly light and usually a small bottle of
    Gator Aid. It rides well and doesn't get in the way at all. If I
    stop and get off my bike, all my gear and weapon goes with
    me. It's a Maxpedition Versi-pack.
    Dano :harley:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. FLSlim

FLSlim

Apr 12, 2010
    FL W Coast
    Tommy's GunPack. Good size, quick release, and 2 extra pockets for extra rounds and whatever else you need.

14. I use my Galco concealable belt holster with a light cover shirt and jeans shorts for my G26. We ride a lot in park trails and county bike trails. Wife carries her Bobcat IWB. Haven't been made yet or if we have, no one cares as of yet.

15. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
    Yea, that's where I'm leaning. I've got to carry a backpack on the commute, so a Maxpedition wouldn't work. My Serpa holster is a good short-term solution, but I'd rather go a concealed route.

16. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    Usually I pocket carry if riding in/around Seattle. I wear cargo shorts over my bike shorts so I have pockets for my multi tool, ID, a few bills and other stuff so I'm not having to fish stuff out of my messenger or camelback.
    Provided the shorts aren't baggy or too light in fabric (hangs up on saddle) the lighter guns like the 442 or BG.380 work OK in a cargo pocket.....I wear bike clothes, but I'm not into the spiderman skin suit stuff, so this works good.
    If I'm going to the boonies for an MTB ride in the woods or hills, I'll go to a belt gun OWB.
    Yesterday I used my Ruger SP101 with 180gr Castcores in a belt rig under my C-Dale riding jacket. It worked fine and retention wasn't an issue even flying over the bars.:whistling:
    I've gone as big the G20 without a problem for MTB'ing, though it's harder to be inconspicuous with a hoss like that....most of the folks at Lake Sawyer, Tolt, Capital Forest etc won't be concerned.

17. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    I wear the same IWB the I normally use to carry! Or a lite jacket and a shouder hoster.:supergrin:

18. Steve50

Steve50

Jan 17, 2011