close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

CArrying into a business with a no-carry sign??

Discussion in 'Ohio Glockers' started by pens-66, Dec 12, 2007.

1. pens-66

pens-66

Nov 3, 2006
    Austintown,OH.
    I had a quick question here...can someone tell me if you were to carry into a business that displayed a no-carry sign in its window,and happened to be made,are you in deep dodo with the law or can a business only ask you to leave...please help me on this one.The handbook isnt really clear to me on this.:wavey:

2. Ol' 12-toes

Ol' 12-toes

Apr 18, 2004
    Ohio
    I think you're expected to go to the AG's site to read the actual law so you don't get zinged by information in outdated booklets.

The business just calls the cops and you're good for 30 days/$250. As this is 'only' a misdemeanor, this law has no practical effect on people who are already commiting a felony by carrying while under disability or concealed without a permit.

3. pens-66

pens-66

Nov 3, 2006
    Austintown,OH.
    I have the updated booklet and still seems unclear...I have heard many say that all the business can do is ask you to leave,with no consequences by the law..Was just hopeing to get some input maybe from LEO here

4. thorn137

thorn137 Walther

Jan 8, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
    The law requires that you KNOWLINGLY violated the sign before entering, in order to be charges with the misdemeanor. If you didn't see the sign, and didn't know it was forbidden, then you merely have to leave when requested.

thorn

5. Linda

Linda

Oct 12, 2005
    Central Ohio
  6. Hask12

Hask12

Jan 2, 2007
    Ohio
    Linda's right, and the police I have spoken to have said they probably wouldn't even charge you, but instead would just explain to you how the law works. Although that's by no means a guarantee.

7. pens-66

pens-66

Nov 3, 2006
    Austintown,OH.
    Well thats what I thought..I havent been carring where there are signs posted...but with all the talk that all they can do is ask you to leave,then I would.With all these shootings and crap going on anymore,I just get paranoid when I'm not carrying.That last thing I would want to do is jeapordize my right to carry! My brother in law is a police officer and also says they probably wont do anything...But I don't like "PROBABLY"...I'd like a guarantee!

8. Racsan

Racsan

Mar 7, 2002
    Ohio
    Over the last 4 years, the medical community has seen a sharp rise in a strange medical condition known as "Gun Buster Blindness". :whistling: It severely limits a persons ability to see certain shapes like a firearm symbol and the circle/slash symbol. There used to be a few signs around town, but lately they have either taken them down or this newly discovered medical condition has been getting worst. Fortunately no one is currently looking for a cure.

9. pens-66

pens-66

Nov 3, 2006
    Austintown,OH.
    :rofl:I think I'm gettin a touch of that here lately:wavey:

10. Linda

Linda

Oct 12, 2005
    Central Ohio

NICE!:wow:

:rofl:

11. elderboy02

elderboy02 Cincy Glocker

Feb 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, OH
    Me too. It is hard to see them with the no smoking signs up. If someone ever got caught, one might be able to argue that they didn't KNOWINGLY see it because they thought it was a no smoking sign.

12. Hask12

Hask12

Jan 2, 2007
    Ohio
    If there was ever a place you needed to carry, it would be in a "Gun Free" zone

13. anyplainjoe

anyplainjoe Nobody special.

Dec 28, 2005
    In flyover country
    Hey Linda,

any update on the Marion situation?

14. flitcrma

flitcrma College!!!

Sep 26, 2007
    Cincinnati, OH
    I don't know about you folks, but I've never 'knowingly' seen a no gun sign.

15. Linda

Linda

Oct 12, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Not yet! Apparently not settled, since Ken has not talked about it yet.

16. There is no provision in our law for being asked to leave.

If you knowingly cross the threshold of a criminal protection zone (gunbuster sign) while carrying you are guilty of criminal trespass in the fourth degree.

Unfortunately proving the unknowningly part requires a trial.

Here's a current case of someone busted pending in the Cleveland suburbs: Sun News and the Berea Court Docket

17. Swanny

Swanny Raconteur

Nov 15, 2001
    NE Ohio
    If you are doing a good job of concealing your gun, how is anyone ever going to know?

18. Ohio; another reason to use a Smartcarry holster! ;)

19. hagar

hagar Millennium Member

Sep 7, 1999
    Columbia, SC
    I'm an old fart. The only thing I can see, is the front sight of my Glock, and a metal detector.

20. firedog978

firedog978

Nov 12, 2004
    Cincinnati
    Far be it from me to tell anyone when and where to carry. I'd like to see no criminal safe zones at all.

I have written many letters to businesses that post no gun signs. In every one of those letters, I have made statements that a person holding a CCW license from the state of Ohio is one of the most law-abiding people they could encounter. I have let them know about the criminal background checks and the assurances by the state that all these people are sane, have recieved training on a number of issues about carrying concealed (including the illegal places as defined in that training). I let them know that I refuse to spend even one thin dime in those businesses that choose to post such signs. In some cases after my letters, the signs have been removed, some have not.

That said, a few of the above posts make it very difficult to convince the general public and certainly the antis, that CCW licensees are law-abiding.

There are ways of changing their minds and/or the ridiculous laws. There are businesses at hand that do not choose to take away your 2nd Amendment rights. Use them! It's very difficult to continue to convince people that CCW licensees are some of the most law-abiding people they can encounter if they pick and choose which laws to obey.