close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

carrying in the Sturgis SD area

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by leeinmemphis, Jul 27, 2012.

1. leeinmemphis

leeinmemphis

Nov 20, 2001
    Hey everyone,

I am heading to black hills of SD next week for the Sturgis m/c rally. I've been many times but this year I am going by myself and plan on cc'ing at least on the way up/back. I've read on handgun law for all the restrictions of the states I'll be riding through: Tn, Ar, Mo, Ks, Ne, SD, and Wy. I'm not a big partier or anything so carrying in a bar or while drinking isn't a problem(don't even think I had a beer while out there last year) but was curious if there is anything I need to keep an eye out for regulation wise that I may have missed? Those times when I visit a place that serves alcohol and it's not legal to carry on premises I plan on locking the g19 in my bike. With all of the vendors/people walking the streets of Sturgis I'm curious if it's even a good idea to carry while just walking through downtown. Thanks.

2. Mr.Macaw

Mr.Macaw

Feb 25, 2012
    Kansas City Kansas
    I am from Kansas and I carry a list of states that recognize Kansas ccw permits. From the list of the states you will go through are all covered by the Kanas permit except for Wy.. I wouldn't carry one there without checking with them. You should get a list of States that recognize your States CCW permits, it may be different from Kansas.

3. unit1069

unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    I agree that you should carefully check with So. Dakota and local laws about CCW or openly carrying in Sturgis.

Once upon a time I'd say a good number of outlaw bikers were packing illegally but in recent years the rally has morphed into a somewhat physical exhibitionist mom-and-pop event so I'd be carefully to keep things simple there.

I would be more concerned with the to-and-there travel while packing.

4. TeamCorbon

TeamCorbon

Dec 20, 2002
    Western PA
    You could always stop in at our new training academy behind the dirt track and talk to the people there about the local gun laws. It's on Short Track Rd