close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Carry Your Retirement Badge?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Jim, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Jim

Jim

Jan 23, 2000
    Illinois
    How many of you retired guys who have one, actually carry it like you did the real tin while active?

My small dept actully gave me two, a full size version that looks just like the active badge except the number is replaced by "Ret", and a smaller one about 1/3 size.

If I carry just the retired ID card and Qual card, that satisfies LEOSA. Problem is, Illinois is the ony state with NO provision for citizens to carry concealed.

In Illinois, anyone with a gun gets automatically classified as "Cop" or "Crook". In the confusion of an actual problem, the words "Police Retired" and the ret badge might be better than just the words alone. We can sort out the details later, just being sure that I don't come across as claiming to be an active officer when I'm not.

OTOH, the ID cards alone can be kept deep in my wallet where an armed robber won't find them on the scene, so that gives me the possibility of acting like just another guy who carries illegally.

Comments?

2. Sgt127

Sgt127

Nov 5, 2002
    Texas
    I think anyone that retired earned the right to carry the badge. Yeah, if things went to poop, I think having a badge to hold up may keep you from getting a hole poked in you by responding cops.

CJStudent likes this.

3. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004
    Been retired for five years now and I don't carry it.

Arizona has Constitutional carry for all honorable citizens and I have a CWP. The retirement badge means nothing to any one any more, since I am not part of the gov't and I do not have government authority to act under color of authority. Citizens who see a badge assume that the carrier is a gov't agent/employee and to me, is is effectively a challenge coin.

There has to be a mental sea change when one retires. One is no longer part of the police who are responsible for the world, just an alumni responsible for one's self.

Anyone can carry a badge [including a fictitious one]. An ID card is very hard for an impersonator to fake. An ID card means you are 99.85% real.

Nanuk likes this.
  4. I am also in Illinois.

I do not carry my retired star.

I was once tempted to stop an in progress shop lifting and decided after that to leave it at home. I don't need an impersonation charge.

I managed to stop the shop lifting by whipping out my iphone and popping pictures of them. That was enough to dissuade them and they decided not to come after me,

It's pretty hard to put away the reaction and think of the weapon as just for personal defense only but I am dealing with it.

The star does look good in the "I Love Me" room though <GRIN>

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
    longhaulcop likes this.
  5. Jim

Jim

Jan 23, 2000
    Illinois
    Perhaps my original post was not clear.

Unlike Arizona, Illinois does NOT have any provision for civilian carry, and that's what I have to deal with. The use of the retirement badge, along with the words "retired police", might prevent me from being mistaken for a criminal when I'm merely trying to defend myself/family.

Under the law, I have no police authority and don't plan to exercise any.

Today, anyone with a computer can make a good looking but fake ID card, probably easier than they can buy a fake badge.

6. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004
    I fail to see the point of a badge then.

powernoodle likes this.
  7. Jim

Jim

Jan 23, 2000
    Illinois
    The old saying is "You can accomplish more with a kind word and a gun, than with just a kind word."

The possible variation is "You can be better identified with a retired card and a badge, than with just a retired card."

Maybe.

We'll see what other people come up with for suggestions, and possibly some real life stories. My mind is open on this, I'm hoping for lots of responses.

8. Java Junky

Java Junky

Jul 3, 2012
    'Wallet considerably thinner as a result of your back'n forth.
    My right cheek salutes you!
    Thanks.

9. 2-8 Marine

2-8 Marine Limp Member

Oct 30, 2009
    I mounted one of my retirement badges in a case on my rec-room wall and the other I don't carry on my person but keep in the console of my car. Seems to work for me these past 12 years.

10. k9medic

k9medic

Sep 16, 2000
    at an LZ near you
    Retired under LEOSA allows you to still carry concealed just as you would if you were still working.

I personally would carry the smaller badge. Although you don't plan on taking action, there may come a day when you need to and the extra ID might keep you from being shot.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

11. Department issued 2, one went into the shadow box, and the other rides in the concealed wallet with the qual cards and ID, niether is seen unless, asked for during stops , one wallet so no problem carry, don't carry, each to his own

12. fastbolt

fastbolt

Jun 9, 2002
    CA Central Coast
    I do, mostly (especially when armed).

I don't carry my retirement ID card in a regular wallet. Don't want anything in the wallet to ID me as retired LE. (I even carry an expired DL in the "regular" wallet.)

I carried a flat badge wallet for too many years (plainclothes assignment) and stopped carrying a regular wallet. I've always found the fat lump (pocket brick) wallets carried by most men of my acquaintance to be odd, anyway.

My active badge was flagged as retired and now sits in my safe.

So, now that I'm retired I carry my ID & DL in my flat badge wallet, with an issued LEOSA document from my agency, along with the approved flat badge I carried for so many years, now flagged "retired". Habit.

My "new" regular wallet is something that caught my eye (fancy handmade custom leather) one day after I retired, and I use it to carry a few cards which won't fit in my flat badge wallet.

My ID/flat badge wallet is carried on my off-side hip, where reaching for it is more natural for me if I'm holding a weapon in my strong hand.

Of course, having any sort of badge (active, retired, regular, flat, etc) certainly isn't a guarantee some arriving cop won't shoot you. I can think back over the years of doing quals and seeing how quickly some cops have unexpectedly come upon a "No Shoot" picture target and shot the portrayed "person" holding out a "badge/ID card", only later realizing their mistake.

Just like being UC, plainclothes or off-duty, you have to be very careful if circumstances ever force you to draw & present (let alone fire) a retirement weapon, since arriving LE might only see the weapon (threat focus).

FWIW, I know retired folks who do different things in this regard, including those who never plan to carry a badge, ID card or weapon again.

Suit yourself (as long as it's within policy for the agency who issued the retired ID card and badge, of course ;) ).

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  13. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    most of the retired guys i know just carry their i.d. card hidden in their wallet behind some other stuff.

14. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    Yeah, but then they have the hassle of having to show up to quals every quarter. It would seem easier just to get a CCL, and enjoy being retired.

15. k9medic

k9medic

Sep 16, 2000
    at an LZ near you
    I thought hisissue was the fact that he was in Illinois and they don't allow normal ccw?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

16. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    Sounds like it would be time for a warmer freer state.:supergrin:

17. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Apr 13, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Carry a shield and ID with me wherever I go.

I earned the right.

18. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

Nov 3, 2005
    KY
    I'm a long ways from retirement, but my grandfather is retired from the county I live in, and currently part-time in the adjacent county he lives in now. He carries his retired badge actually more than his current one (though I'm pretty sure he keeps his current agency ID on him); I guess it's a sentimental thing with him. He does carry off duty, but rarely.

19. Jim

Jim

Jan 23, 2000
    Illinois
    LEOSA required qual is once per year, and provides a ton of benefits beyond a CCL:
    Good throughout the United States and possessions.
    Exempts you from most state restrictions except on government property.

I've had a Florida CCL for many years, but having the LEOSA is so much better.

As for moving, we travel all over the country now and also spend much of winter in Florida. Nice, but Illinois is summer is nicer. YMMV.

20. Rex G

Rex G

Mar 24, 2003
    SE TX
    Though I can keep it, if honorably retired, I am specifically prohibited from carrying my PD-issued badge after retirement. IIRC, it must be mounted, such as on a plaque, or in a shadowbox. I could have a "retired" badge made, at my own expense, but I tend to doubt I would carry it, as I often do not carry my badge when off the clock nowadays.

Actually, this reminds me that I had once considered having a traditional Texas Ranger-style badge from a Mexican Cinco Peso piece of appropriate vintage, simply engraved as "Texas Peace Officer" rather than as a Texas Ranger badge. I have seen some peace officers wearing these, when working security gigs, when their employing agencies would not allow them to wear the issued uniforms and badges when working extra employment. Perhaps I should see about having one made with "Retired"
    engraved on it, though I cannot see myself displaying it in
    public. It would be more of a novelty item.