close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

"Carry Rotation" I that wise?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by runcible68, Nov 13, 2011.

1. runcible68

runcible68
    Expand Collapse

I've noticed a lot of posts where forum members write about their "carry rotation." Some posters have written that they have 4 or more guns in their line up. Is that wise? What does that old maxim say? "You can own a lot of guns, but the man who only owns one will shoot it very, very well." In the stress of an armed confrontation, would it not be better to be totally versed in the use of only one gun? Maybe two?

All my big handguns are for plinking or taking gun haters to the range and luring them to dark side. I own two carry pieces, a G36 and a S&W 442. The Smith is my summer/spring gun and my G36 is my cold weather carry. My G36 is actually my house gun!

80 percent of the time I go to the range I practice with these two pistols. Since it's fall, my practice is mostly with my 36. And when I switch from carrying the Smith to the 36 or vice versa, it takes some getting used to. My muscle memory concerning the draw and the firing of these weapons is different. I'm wondering how a person who cycles though multiple weapons handles this.

Just my two cents. Love to hear what others think.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy
    Expand Collapse

I have quite a few handguns (and holsters) but my main carry guns are a Kel-Tec .32ACP, a Glock 27, and a Kimber UltraCDPII .45ACP.
    I must admit that I have been carrying the Kel-Tec for months simply because it's so light, small and easy to conceal in my front pants pocket in a soft pocket holster.
    With cooler weather coming I'll probably start carry a larger gun but I'm also thinking about carrying my S/W 642 instead of the heavier semi-autos.
    THe issue that I have with the small pistol is the accuracy.
    The Glock and the Kimber are pretty accurate but the S/W is definitely for close encounters. THen again, perhaps I just need to practice more with it.

3. Lior

Lior
    Expand Collapse
    GUNS=FREEDOM

As long as all of the guns involved share a common manual of arms, rotating between multiple guns for SD should not be a problem. KISS saves lives here.

A problem would be if say a user kept a PPK and a 1911 with the safety on - confusion might result as to which way to thumb the safety in dire straits. I would advise not going there. But a user alternating between (for example) an XD and a Glock should not enounter major hardware related difficulties in saving their hides, despite the differences in operating mechanisms between the guns.

4. kgjl

kgjl
    Expand Collapse

I am curious, with the KT32 and the KT380 being the same size, why have you stuck with the 32?

5. Bogey

Bogey
    Expand Collapse
    The Mouth®
    CLM

My daily carry is a 30. I carry a 21 in the winter sometimes, and on occasion I will wear a 17.

I have no problem with switching up as I shoot all 3 in competition. Shoot a 686 and GP 100 in comps too, but don't carry them.

I have a Ruger LCR for a BUG, and am fairly proficient with it too.

I don't think the old adage is necessarily 100% true anymore.

6. collim1

collim1
    Expand Collapse
    Shower Time!

I dont "rotate" guns, but I have a gun for each CCW situation. I carry a P239 OWB most of the time, but I have a 442 for pocket and ankle carry for those situations that require 100% concealment.

7. t-shooter

t-shooter
    Expand Collapse

I think having a common manual of arms is critical. I attempted briefly to alternate between a 1911 and a Glock 19. I could not make the transition under stress. I would fish for the non-existent safety on the Glock or squeeze the trigger until I turn blue on the 1911 because I did not take off the safety. My carry rotation now consists of a couple of various caliber Glocks, Kahr PM9 and a S&W 642. They are all three double action only with no manual safety. I believe that as long as you stay with one manual of arms and practice with all of the weapons in the rotation you are OK.

8. GlockPride

GlockPride
    Expand Collapse
    Glock 23

I too agree with the same manual of arms. I transition from a m&p 9c and a PF-9. Both da and 9mm. Yes, they are different grip sizes, mag capacities and trigger weights, but they are close enough to count for me.

9. PAGunner

PAGunner
    Expand Collapse

A lot of people already beat me too it, but it's the reason I'm going to eventually get rid of my USPc .45, it's all about manual of arms. If you carry all Glocks chances are you'll shoot any of them very well, same grip, same trigger.

Yes, you could have a Kahr, Glock and J-frame in the same line up, all have different grips and triggers... I'd consider this same manual of arms, but the closer you can get to the same the better off you are. It's when you pick up a gun like an XD, 1911, Berretta, Sig or SA/DA HK that will mess you up.

#9 PAGunner, Nov 13, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  10. michael e

michael e
    Expand Collapse

I carry several diff from time to time. My main is always a Glock, sometimes its full size compact or sub compact. BUG is a SW 642 and LCP. If going OWB that holster is for the 9mm 40sw 357sig frames, my IWB is for 45 10mm frames. So what I carry really goes by what I wear and the weather.

11. Goat 36

Goat 36
    Expand Collapse

Same Manual of Arms is very wise.

G36/G19 here. Only difference to compensate for is recoil management to get back on target for follow-up shots. Both fit in same holsters and feel pretty similar in the hand.

If I grab one in the dark, they both have same operator night sights, one with green/green and one with green/yellow.

So, if I have a chance to actually 'SEE' the sights before I have to engage, I can tell which caliber to prepare my timing between shots, etc.

If not, it won't matter much.

12. Berto

Berto
    Expand Collapse
    woo woo

My carry guns are usually just two, a 442 or 1911.

I have several others and practice every week, so making a switch doesn't concern me much.

13. Warp

Warp
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I don't think it matters much which of my three Glocks I have in my holster.

Even if it's one of my revolvers it still works pretty much the same. Draw, aim, and if necessary pull the trigger.

#13 Warp, Nov 13, 2011
  14. happyguy

happyguy
    Expand Collapse
    Man, I'm Pretty

With the exception of my P7 all my guns are point and click.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

15. Stevekozak

Stevekozak
    Expand Collapse
    Returning video

I carry different guns at different times, depending on situation. I practice with all the guns that I carry and trust muscle memory to do what needs doing when it comes time to do it.

16. unit1069

unit1069
    Expand Collapse

I like striker-fired DAO pistols. I was carrying a micro 9mm pistol most of the time but never was satisfied with its almost reliability and loooong trigger pull.

Now I have one sub-compact 9mm DAO Austrian pistol that gets most CCW time and a second Austrian pistol in .357sig with the same DAO trigger that gets most of the remaining CCW time.

Just my personal opinion but I feel better having one system of trigger/striker mechanism. Eliminating any difference in systems will automatically eliminate another variable of successful self-defense.

#16 unit1069, Nov 13, 2011
  17. MLittle

MLittle
    Expand Collapse

I've been battling with this issue now for a couple of months and have finally made the decision to not carry either of my Glocks (26 and 30). I shoot them ok, but for me the pistol I love and shoot so well is a Sig Sauer in da/sa. I have the P220 Carry and P226 (and may get more). The transition from da to sa is no longer an issue for me. Shooting revolvers in da helped me a lot in learning the transition. I like the Glocks, but LOVE my Sigs. I guess I could extend my collection to a da/sa Beretta or HK and not leave my manual of arms. I also pocket carry a Ruger LCR 38+p on occasion.

18. JK-linux

JK-linux
    Expand Collapse

Never had a big problem transitioning between different pistols. That said, I generally carry a Colt Cobra, so it doesn't get much more simple than "Pull trigger, go bang." I also carry a 1911, but it's been carried so long that my hand just naturally does what it does when it holds one.

19. 1canvas

1canvas
    Expand Collapse

for me it makes no difference what i carry with the few i do. i have shot and carried both the 1911 and S&W J frame for over 30yrs and now i carry a 23 and 27 mostly. although i have only carried Glocks for a little over 4yrs i never look for a thumb saftey on the Glocks. my point is that the four guns i carry feel so different that when i grab them my manual of arms is automatic according to feel.

20. Caver 60

Caver 60
    Expand Collapse

Got four in my carry rotation.

All are DAO with no external safeties and no magazine disconnects (I hate those things). All are carried plus one.

Two are identical. Calibers 380, 9mm, 45 ACP. Only significant difference is 10 plus one on the 45. Rest are 6 or 7 plus one.

ETA I do have 40 that I use for car carry. It meets the same criteria except 5 or 6 plus one.

#20 Caver 60, Nov 13, 2011