close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

carry on the job?

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by Parmaboy, Sep 25, 2005.

1. This may get no responses becauase maybe some of you carry when you are not supposed to. Just wondering if anyones dept. lets them carry a firearm/ has a dont ask dont tell policy ;-)

2. D25

D25 The Quick

Jan 26, 2003

3. Tvov

Tvov

Sep 30, 2000
    CT,USA
    In my town it is unnecessary. As far as I know none of my FD carries.

It was interesting though a few years ago when I went to Jury duty. I was wearing my FD coat (heavy windbreaker with emblem). At the entrance to the courthouse, one of the guards asked if I was carrying before I went through the metal detector. I said no, and then asked why she asked me. She said that it was common for firefighters in the city to carry, both on and off the job, whether or not they were supposed to.

4. huh, thats interesting. I live about 1 hour away from Gary, IN. I was told that it was a dont ask dont tell standing there. I of course have no objective knowledge of this, it just what a buddy said ( and we all know how reliable that is ;g ) I personally think that although it would be nice to carry on my service (EMS) I would hate to worry how secure my firearm is, when I am crawling into the backseat of a car to Bag a front seat passanger.

5. rwojcik

rwojcik

Jun 9, 2005
    Michigan
    We generally are supposed to have LEO's secure the scene but sometimes circumstances dictate differently. As with any call, things can and ofen do go differently than expected. I went over our by-laws and no mention of carrying while on duty but here in MI, we often go into places that are supposed to be gun-free zones (schools, bars, etc...)but was wondering if this would put us in violation? We have turnout gear to protect us from the elements, latex from Bio, Hazmat suits for Chems ... why not guns for safety?

6. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766 CLM

I have a FD issued Glock but I seldom leave the Station with it unless I have a Investigation to do.

7. Bubbamedic

Bubbamedic

Mar 6, 2005
    Oakboro, NC
    I do not carry on the job because the state of NC says you cant carry into any government owned building. I did some research a while back and came across a section in the state laws that would exempt a firefighter or ems personel from prosecution if they respnd to a call at a school or post office or other restricted area while carrying. I found this helpful since I always carry when not at work but I run with the volunteer fire dept and my boss encourages us to respond to major incidents off duty if possible.

8. Bubbamedic:
    So it sounds like you could carry after all? Do you just prefer to not have to explain this law to others? You said you dont carry, but then said the law says its ok.

9. Bubbamedic

Bubbamedic

Mar 6, 2005
    Oakboro, NC
    I see how you interpreted it that way, but I read it to mean if I respond while off duty and am carrying because that happens only occassionally while our bases are posted against all firearms concealed or not. Explaining has alot to do with it also. If I respond to a call at the school I would probably leave it in the truck to avoid the hassle. The law says something like we are exempt while performing our job, not neccessarily while sitting at the base. Plus the county has a no firearms policy as well.

10. M1Garand

M1Garand

Sep 7, 2005
    Virginia
    It is probably not necessary for FD/EMS personnel to carry firearms in most working situations/environment with the exception of riot or certain high risk LE situations.

Most people, including criminals, have respect for Fire and EMS personnel. Also, most people would not think of messing with people with ax and sledge hammers.

11. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Firefighter/EMT

May 17, 2005
    Land O lakes, FL
    Going into a fire and realizing I forgot to take my gun off would seem like a ****ty day to me. My dept has a strict no firearms policy on the FD property, even in your vehicles. The vehicle rule is dumb so take it as you will on whom follows that, and im not the only one there that shoots and carries.......

12. Victory

Victory

Oct 28, 2004
    PA
    in PA it's illegal to carry while working EMS. That includes swat medics.

13. Tvov

Tvov

Sep 30, 2000
    CT,USA
    You mean a SWAT member who is a medic can't carry a weapon ? Or is that only when he is working strictly EMS?

14. Victory

Victory

Oct 28, 2004
    PA
    if they are working as a sworn police officer then they can carry a weapon. Unfortunately most places just use medics from nearby EMS agencies. They go through all the same training but are not sworn officers and are not on the PD's clock.

For instance, in my local the medics are hospital based and a group of them are SWAT trained. They get dispatched when the team gets a callout. They gear up and respond to scene seperately. They are still operating under the hospitals EMS licence and therefore cannot carry weapons. I'm sure in larger cities like philly the PD has officers trained as medics as opposed to medics trained as officers.

Of course, this is not to say a lot of the medics don't just slip a handgun of the same design using the same ammunition as the PD inside their vest for swat callups. Also doesn't mean that one of the swat guys won't "accidently" leave a weapon next to you while you're treating a patient.

15. Turk40SW

Turk40SW

Nov 14, 2004
    Houston, Tx
    I have heard of firefighters being allowed to carry during hurricanes. Don't ask where I heard it. ;)

16. AdminKY

AdminKY Husband/Father

Apr 23, 2005
    Woodford - KY
    What side of the bed did you wake up on? Just last year Lexington Fire Department had an EC unit dispatched to a scene. A man shot his wife, and shot at the fire department responding to help. Killed one and seriously wounded another. Do a Google search for Lt. Brenda Cowan. Thats not the first time things like that have happened either..... Carrying axes around and putting water on fire is not the only thing the fire department does.

17. Victory

Victory

Oct 28, 2004
    PA
    Sorry, wrong answer.

EMS here wears uniforms that look strikingly similar to police uniforms. Sewn in creases and badges with bullseye's that say "shoot me." We used to wear FD T-shirts, but ever since we made the switch to "more professional" i've been sporting kevlar. 2 weeks ago I was 25 yards from a driveby on duty and was crouched in the wheel well of the buss. I'll rely on kevlar and awareness to stop bullets, not some gangbangers supposed respect, especially when i've heared accusations that "EMS doesn't try hard when it's an (insert minority group here)"

Just remember EMS is there to save the guy who just got shot and some other guy has invested interest in that person remaining dead. This makes rescue personnel secondary targets.

18. I've thought to been LEO many a time while working FD. We don't get the cracked out crowd all too often, as i work in a small urban city, but when we do, it turns into a bad day usually. Our PD is outstanding to work with but you can never have too much protection.

Firearms are strictly prohibited on city property where i work, therefore not a chance for us getting to carry.

19. RSQMedic

RSQMedic

Sep 11, 2004
    Greater New Orleans
    Hello All,

1. Carry on property, only if you want to be terminated.
    2. Firearm in car on property, constitutionally protected activity in Louisiana.
    3. Carry during post hurricane operations, specifically and directly told by fire chief he would send us home if we were caught with firearms. ( I'm a fully commisioned deputy sheriff - did not matter to him )
    4. While working EMS in the BIG Easy years ago - you bet I carried!

Steve

20. Mr. Ajax

Mr. Ajax

Apr 23, 2005
    tell that to one of my partners who's been stabbed 3 times and shot 1. It wasnt lack of awareness on the scene, it was just bumb luck. 4 times.