close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Carry inside the Home??

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by JohnnyDB, Mar 6, 2014.

1. JimBianchi

JimBianchi
    Expand Collapse
    Da Da
    CLM
    1. The Outpost Lounge

Number one way a bad enters the home is thru the front door. #2 is an open garage. I have made my home as secure as possible without iron bars on the windows.

Even with two great dogs that bark at anything on the property I still carry in my home ALWAYS.

We just had a home invasion in Vegas last week that made national news. Great neighborhood but the family was lax in their security. Came thru the front door. Bad guy held them hostage for a bit. Was going to abuse the wife but cops got on scene and distracted him. While he was distracted the kids got out a back window.

Lucky.

Carry always. Carry enough gun to do the job. Practice. Practice and then practice some more.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Ricky Ricardo

Ricky Ricardo
    Expand Collapse

I think you answered your own question. :wavey:

3. itstime

itstime
    Expand Collapse

All the time. On me now.

If not on me as in sleeping or shower it's near me.

It's more habit. I'm not talking IWB or OWB at least a 380 bug.

My Kel tec is so small it is there and you don't even know it.

4. mnotlyon

mnotlyon
    Expand Collapse

I have children.
    My guns are either locked in the safe, or on my person.

I carry at home unless I'm in the shower or in bed. It's the safest place for my gun.

5. Petrie

Petrie
    Expand Collapse

I live in super safe small town. I don't always carry around the house or out and about, but I think everyone who can should carry all the time. It's like playing the same lottery numbers every week. Imagine you skip a week and your numbers come up...you'll never forgive yourself. I carry a small single stack 9mm on me when conceal carrying. I keep a double stack fullsize 9mm in bedroom. If we as gun owners are going to be "paranoid" about being a victim we should be paranoid all the time.

#25 Petrie, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  6. janice6

janice6
    Expand Collapse

Me too. I also have my billfold with me always, even though there is little chance of my being asked for my drivers license while I'm in my living room.

These are things I carry because I don't know if and when I may need them. It's better if they are with me rather than having a sudden unexpected change of plans and wishing I had them.

I also wear clothes while at home when there is no real expectation of anyone seeing me without them. Many things we do "Just in case". It's called discretion.

7. poodleplumber

poodleplumber
    Expand Collapse

No offense intended, but what this means is that you should carry in case you are the second person in your neighborhood to be victimized. What if you are the first? I know of no location that is immune to bad intent.

Carry anywhere you want the means to protect yourself and your family. For me that is everywhere. I resent no-carry zones even though I respect them, and I will not impose one on myself that doesn't exist in law.

8. Johnny Ringo

Johnny Ringo
    Expand Collapse

Always have one within a few inches of my hands. Has nothing whatsoever to do with paranoia. Has to do with reality. I live in a nice neighborhood, making the likelihood of something like that happening even more probable.

9. dosei

dosei
    Expand Collapse

I've been carrying inside my home for a lot longer than I've carried outside of it (because it has always been legal to carry in the home, concealed or open, without any permit). IMHO...if the firearm is not ON you (which is THE most secure/safe place for the gun to be), then the only other acceptable place for it is IN a vault (or cased up for going to the range/hunting or returning from and getting ready to disassemble/clean). And a good vault isn't cheap. I have no interest in spending the $$$$$ it would take to scatter vaults with guns in them all over my home so that a vault/gun was always nearby. So yes, I carry at home. Leaving guns laying around unsecured is a bad gun-related statistic waiting to happen.

I don't "get comfortable" when I walk in the door...because I'm already comfortable. I don't compromise on carry gear. As a result I "get comfortable" before I ever walk out the door.

10. kirgi08

kirgi08
    Expand Collapse
    Southern Rogue.
    Silver Member

OK,we had a string of break ins,a 90+ yo women got raped.The idiots that did the deed tried our house.When my Mastiffs responded they took shots at them.My wife and I responded.

They got caught down the road a wee bit later,we had at that time a secure house.They tried the fence,the dogs responded.They shot at the dogs,my wife and I responded. I'm MED retired USA.There has been some time that has passed between then and now.

They got 20+yrs for their deeds,A few family members came at us for payback.They on doc also,we got class 5 doors and windows.We carry 24/7 because t-shirts ain't cheap.'08.

11. JabbaNoBother

JabbaNoBother
    Expand Collapse

Fair 'nough '08

12. kirgi08

kirgi08
    Expand Collapse
    Southern Rogue.
    Silver Member

In our area,28748.I thought that was in my post.'08.

13. kirgi08

kirgi08
    Expand Collapse
    Southern Rogue.
    Silver Member

I carried that way before marriage,the events just reinforced the sentiment.'08.

14. John Biltz

John Biltz
    Expand Collapse

The wallet is a good analogy for me. I get up in the morning, take a shower and get dressed. Part of getting dressed is putting my wallet and keys in a pocket and put my gun on and I take it off when I go to bed. I don't think about grabbing my gun, keys or wallet before going out because I already have them on me.

I'll also say this the most common home invasion I hear about is a home owner out puttering around in their garage with the door up and someone just walks up on them. I don't know many people who arm up to go out to their garage or stash guns around their garage.

15. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

Those "gut feelings".. are for a reason. When it's something that can be easily and painlessly rectified, there's no reason not to listen. I don't buy the "well I live in a quiet area" argument (FWIW, where I live is pretty quiet)... I don't want to the victim when the news shows people saying, "This never happens here..". Once is enough.

Personally, my gun goes on when I wake up, and comes off after I shower before bed. If I stay up aafter showering (pretty common), the gun is usually nearby until I decide to go to bed

IGF

#35 IndyGunFreak, Mar 6, 2014
  16. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller
    Expand Collapse

You dance to one tune. I dance to another.

For you, being armed at all times is important. For me, it is not.

I've been successful (never attacked any time, any where) for 70+ years by exercising good judgement about staying safe. I'm comfortable with my strategy and tactics and the secure location of my home.

I'm not saying your tune is off key. It just doesn't fit my circumstances well.

17. racer88

racer88
    Expand Collapse
    NRA & SAF mbr

I always find this "logic" amusing. It's akin to saying, "Wear a seat belt, if you think you need to. I don't. If I did, I'd drive somewhere else."

Dr. Petit (and family) lived in an arguably NICE neighborhood.

We don't get to pick where violence decides to visit.

If my chances of a home invasion are 0.1%, but I happen to fall into that 0.1%, then it's 100% for me at that point in time.

#37 racer88, Mar 6, 2014
  18. PNine64

PNine64
    Expand Collapse

Safe house, nice neighborhood, dog...check. I still carry at home though. Leaving weapons around the house with kids around doesn't make much sense for me.

19. Bruce M

Bruce M
    Expand Collapse

I don't. I do keep a gun fairly handy as I reside by myself and do not worry about someone else getting to it.

20. Petrie

Petrie
    Expand Collapse

Do we all agree that the home is the safest place? It's easier to rape, rob, murder someone in their own home than it is at Walmart, Mcdonalds, bank, etc.