close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Carry inside the Home??

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by JohnnyDB, Mar 6, 2014.

1. JohnnyDB

JohnnyDB
    Expand Collapse

I don't carry inside (maybe I should) but my Glock is always close.
    Is that enough, I'm beginning to think not.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. fortheboys

fortheboys
    Expand Collapse

I don't carry in my home but I have two dogs that will alert me to anything first. I have more than one very close when inside the home. I always go with the thinking that "anything can happen ANYWHERE and at anytime".
    If you are comfortable with carrying in your house, no reason not to.

3. Dave514

Dave514
    Expand Collapse

Where the heck do you live and can you move?

Locked doors and a gun nearby should be more than enough for any neighborhood I would want to live in.

If the possibility of someone kicking in your door is a real issue and you can't move then I would spend my dollars on better door/locks.

4. kirgi08

kirgi08
    Expand Collapse
    Southern Rogue.
    Silver Member

Every waking moment.'08.

5. #141magfan

#141magfan
    Expand Collapse

Statistically speaking, your home is the safest place the average person spends their time. But, when the front door comes down without warning, a gun in another room may be just as far away as NO gun if you cant' reach it in time.

Again, while it isn't statistically probable that you will be the victim of a forced entry into your home, the fact that it's "not likely" will be little comfort if it happens to YOU.

6. 4Rules

4Rules
    Expand Collapse

If your home is selected for attack, how many seconds will you have to react?

Watch these two incidents, and count the seconds.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKfcc2rM_xI"]New Jersey Home Invasion UNEDITED - Warning Graphic Video Version! (Suspects Voice) - YouTube[/ame]

This Bonaci incident was over less than five seconds.
    Here it is in slow motion to allow you to see what is going on:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXcSBxJHCL0"]Bonaci Counter One Eighth - YouTube[/ame]

#6 4Rules, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  7. JohnnyDB

JohnnyDB
    Expand Collapse

I live in a rural area of Middle Tennessee north of Nashville and while I feel relatively safe in my home I don't want to be complacent when our society is crumbling around us.

8. kirgi08

kirgi08
    Expand Collapse
    Southern Rogue.
    Silver Member

I'd rather have it and not need it as ta the reverse.A GT member has a sig line about parachutes and guns.'08.

9. md2lgyk

md2lgyk
    Expand Collapse

Methinks there's a bit too much paranoia (or machismo) in the world. That said, carry at home if you think you need to. I don't. If I did, I'd move.

10. Dave514

Dave514
    Expand Collapse

Well, we keep our doors locked when they are not in frequent use (like kids playing, mowing, etc.. they would not be locked). Having peepholes in all doors that would be answered. Upgrading the deadbolt/doorframe strength is something most of us need to do. I keep my 27 in a central location that would be readily accessible.

But I'm not going to carry it in my home all of the time.

Everybody has to find their own level of comfort.

11. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP
    Expand Collapse
    Inactive/Banned

Depends on what I'm wearing. Usually around the house I'm in a pair of gym shorts or something similar. Then I'm not carrying.

12. cajun_chooter

cajun_chooter
    Expand Collapse

if you carry on the street.. you should carry at home... better be safe than sorry...

13. JohnnyDB

JohnnyDB
    Expand Collapse

Like you our doors are locked most of the time but our front and rear doors have large sections of glass. I don't want to sound paranoid but I also don't want to be unprepared.

Here is an interesting article:

http://www.homedefensegun.net/carrying-handgun/

14. JabbaNoBother

JabbaNoBother
    Expand Collapse

If I carry at home, then I guess I should tape on my back the following...in no particular order: my fire extinguisher, med kit, cell AND land line phone, body armor, etc. No offense to anyone who does but my advise is get a dog...if their alert cannot give you enough time to get to your firearm then exercise more or keep it in the room with you.

15. kirgi08

kirgi08
    Expand Collapse
    Southern Rogue.
    Silver Member

We had an attempted break in with my family at home.They shot at our dogs and the house,they missed the dogs and hit the house.The folks responsible are now in doc custody and will be there quite awhile.We live in a rural area and will remain there,we will not be lax in our security.'08.

16. JabbaNoBother

JabbaNoBother
    Expand Collapse

Sry to hear that, but I'm confused. We're they attempting to "enter" your residence or just merely firing shots at you dogs/home. Or did I miss something along the lines of like...they were trying to gain access via window/door/what have you, dogs were alerted, BGs got startled and fired at them?

17. JohnnyDB

JohnnyDB
    Expand Collapse

I walked in on a burglary while living in Florida years ago. After rushing my elderly Mom outside to safety I stupidly ran back in to confront them without a weapon. Luckily for me they were out the back door over the fence and gone.

The point is that once you have experienced that kind of violation it stays with you. It can happen. Will it happen to you, probably not but it will happen to someone, that's the world we live in.
    Call me paranoid, I just want to be better prepared in case it happens again.

18. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller
    Expand Collapse

In neighborhoods with a history of burglary and/or doors being kicked in, its wise...even necessary in high-crime areas... to be armed while at home.

I never carry at home unless I'm doing it for fun (dry firing, cleaning, fondling) or answering the door at night when no one is expected.

#18 PhotoFeller, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  19. rhino673

rhino673
    Expand Collapse

I don't carry at home but have "house" weapons stashed in easy reach and close by in most every room of the house.
    My wife and teenage girls all know the locations and are proficient with them.
    I keep a mix of a couple of pump shotguns and a few Sig P6 pistols and a Beretta 92FS if you are curious. Those are the ones that they shoot best and are most familiar with.

Yes, we do put them all away in the safe if we have company over with other kids. My kids have had gun safety drilled into their heads all their lives but I can't take the chance with other kids.

20. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

OC at home and be comfortable.