Carry chambered?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by danbaum, Nov 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yes, the Stow n Go Holster is soft sided, but it definitely shouldn't have enough play to allow movement of the trigger. Carrying with a round in the chamber is a personal choice. If you're not comfortable at the present time to carrry with a round in the chamber, don't force yourself to do so. You may want to carry your pistol inside its holster around your house and property doing your everyday movements. You'll eventually become more comfortable and confident in your carry choice and begin to carrying with a round in the chamber. Remember finger discipline and be confident. Good luck- you'll be just fine.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. motorcopm4

motorcopm4 Μολὼν λαβέ

I Carry a chambered Glock on duty everyday, cover the trigger guard and dont worry about it

3. Try this.

Was given an IWB holster the other day. Kind of a semi-rigid nylon that fits the 21 and 30. About 2 seconds with it in the pants drove me nuts and I put it between my belt and pants. The thought of a loaded weapon inside my pants bothered me. It is also much better feeling and a little closer to my body and doesn't print like an OWB holster. Still have to be concious about it showing from under my garment. Even if the bottom peeks out all of my holsters fully cover the barrel so no one actually "SEES" a gun should that happen.

I carry Condition One. With the 1911 I use a holster that has a strap that fits between the hammer and slide and fully covers my ambi-thumb safeties. For the Glocks I have a holster that has a retention strap and some that don't. The one with retention is when I'm walking about in public and don't want the gun flying out should I be tackled or snatched from me.

The "strapless" is when I'm working.

4. There is No Prize for Speed re-holstering!

5. Personally, if I have doubts about doing something, I don't do it. If condition 3 is what makes you feel better, go with it. I ran mine in condition 3 for about a month. Then, I decided to go to condition 1. I decided that the safest place for my G22 was in the holster, and now, I carry in condition 1 in complete confidence.
    The only time it goes back to condition 3 is when I go to bed. With a 5 year old that can come into the bedroom in the middle of the night--I figured the safest thing to do is clear the chamber and keep it under my pillow, as opposed to the night stand. He won't be able to lift my head and get to it w/o waking me up-y'know? Besides, he doesn't even give it a second look any more.

6. I notice a lot of your "off-limits" locations revolve around people being uncomfortable at the sight of a gun. Can you wear a suit? It seems that an attorney might be expected to wear a suit, and thus not raise any suspicion since nobody sees a gun.

7. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

Back when I had a CCW in NH, I always carried chambered. BUT, I had a home-made safety device installed that held the slide back 5mm. Thusly, it totally inerted the pistol. ALSO, the device was easily and quickly removed. I have the device patented, and I am about to market it. Send me your email addresses via PM and I'll send you pictures of the neat device.

http://glocktalk.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=17430&title=otapin&cat=6

#67 SCmasterblaster, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  8. I noticed in another thread you also have connectors, and now this device, what else have you got ? post pics ?

9. Glocks are incredibly designed and very safe. I would recommend carrying unchambered till you get comfortable with it, then little by little you'll get more comfortable.

10. All good posts on how to carry a Glock. I have had the same concerns as I carry all the time now. Glock may take a little time to get used to, but will not accidentally discharge so long as you carry in a rigid holster that covers the trigger guard. For some, the lack of an exterior thumb safety, and it's relative security or lack of, is the real issue. You have to ask yourself if an exterior thumb safety is there to prevent accidental or negligent discharge. I would contend that a thumb safety is designed primarily to prevent an accidental discharge and this is virtually a non issue for a Glock. So, negligent discharge is the real mental issue. Therefore, you need to remember and train for 2 things if you carry with one in the chamber: that you never negligently put your finger on the trigger, especially when removing or re-inserting into your holster, and be mindful that we are human beings and subject to making mistakes so when your Glock is not in your holster you should not be cavalier about handling it, just like any other gun. I don't advocate carrying a paper weight.

#71 Artable, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  11. Did similar when i started carrying a 1911. Carried cocked and locked without a chambered round. By the third day i realized that the hammer wasn't going to magically fall and fire the gun. Started carrying with one chambered.

12. Lior

Lior GUNS=FREEDOM

At the moment I'm carrying a CZ Shadow with an empty chamber, as this gun doesn't have a block safety. Normally I carry a CZ Phantom with one in the pipe though.

13. PhotoFeller

Silver Member

Thanks, David, for posting my feelings on this subject but saying it much better than I could. Our opinion goes against the popular grain, but it needs to be offered often to balance the scale for conservative concealed carry practices.

This thread did drift a bit from the OP's question, but it was worth it to elicit David's well-informed point of view.

14. PhotoFeller

Silver Member

Lots of folks gain confidence that the pistol won't "magically fail and fire", and such confidence in the weapon is probably warranted. However, the CC equation also has to consider the human element, and thats the wild card.

New gun handlers and veterans are capable of mental lapses that can result in deadly consequences regardless of the holster used. Part of that risk can be avoided with condition 3. Thats all I'm saying. The simple act of holstering without complete concentration can cause poop in the soup. It happens.

Yea, this is an over-argued topic that pops up every week in one form or another. Why do you suppose that is? I'd say its because so many people are trying to figure out what makes sense for their CC method. It's a question everyone needs to carefully think through beyond consideratipn of the "brick" and "short handled club" cliches.

15. TattooedGlock

TattooedGlock NRA LIFE MEMBER

If you're not going to carry your defense gun loaded, don't carry it. If you're not comfortable, take some classes, pratice, etc., get comfortable, or leave the gun toting to others.

16. This is how I broke myself of the fear of carrying C1. Also, dry fire (no ammo in the room, gun, etc) drills of draw, point in, press, reset action, reholster. Do this for 20-30 minutes (no longer, anything longer is just tiring, not helping your muscle memory), and see if you ever pull the trigger re-holstering. I'm sure your going to be fine.

17. PhotoFeller

Silver Member

I do leave toting to others most of the time. All I ask is, don't shoot me in the process of trying to save me. And, don't shoot me in a restroom when you're 'adjusting' your weapon before/after doing your business. Make sure your mind is 100% focused every time you handle your weapon, no matter where you are and what the circumstances may be, and we'll likely be just fine.

18. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

If I wasn't going to carry with one in the pipe, I wouldn't carry at all.

So to answer your question, yes. Carry with one in the chamber.

19. jeanderson

jeanderson Toga!... Toga!
    Platinum Member

I have been carrying less than a week now. At first I put the gun in my laptop bag unchambered. After driving about 1 mile I thought that's pretty useless. Pulled over (no, I did not do this while driving), pulled out my G23 and racked the slide, put it back in the holster. Has been chambered ever since.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.