close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Carry chambered?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by danbaum, Nov 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. awq134

awq134
    Expand Collapse

this is what i did... made sure the chamber was empty with the trigger in the forward position and a full magazine. I carried it like this for 2 weeks and checked every night to see if the trigger had moved, and as i was hoping, i didnt' budge!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. KenB22

KenB22
    Expand Collapse

I'll take the heat for trying to make the opposite argument. I carry in condition 3. Early on, I carried with one in the pipe since I didn't want to carry a "brick." It worked fine. As I carried more and more I changed my mind. I have to wear dress pants to work that fit and I often go to many places during a day that do not allow me to carry inside. I found myself holstering and unholstering sometimes 3-4-5 times per day. I am a criminal attorney. I have to dress for work. I go into bad neighborhoods where some people get nervous when they see guns. I meet with prosecutors who get nervous when they see people with guns. I go into office buildings (not posted) where people get nervous when they see guns. Its my reality. I have a G19 at home by the nightstand, not in a holster, that is in condition 3 because it's the only way my wife will allow it in the house. She is not comfortable any other way. I'll leave the possible argument that putting a nightstand gun in a holster or case or safe just loses precious seconds over my setup for another day.

If I carry at all, I have to carry IWB in a pair of pants that fit. My gun is covered by a shirt that must also completely cover the gun. I must tuck my shirt in. Wearing a hard covered holster made the gun print too much. Carrying in a holster that had a retention strap was just one more thing to think about when practicing drawing. I never worried about my gun going off when I sat at a desk or drove a car or anything like that. After much carrying my focus narrowed to drawing in an emergency. I can't carry OWB or with the gun exposed at all. To get at my gun, I have to first untuck my shirt. That's the reality. I found during extensive practice at an outdoor range over many sessions that I was much faster untucking and ripping the gun out of my holster and racking the slide Israeli style than I was with one in the pipe. Trying to imagine how I might feel and react in an emergency, I simply slowed down too much worrying about shooting myself with a round chambered and my shirt tucked in. That's the moment that was of concern to me when deciding which was more advantageous TO ME. With my daytime setup requirement and my nightstand setup, it made more sense TO ME to carry in condition 3. Finding I was faster when I really pushed myself drawing from a holster had the added benefit of making my training consistent for both home and outdoor scenario's.

I also try and practice situational awareness. If I'm in an area in my car that I'm not comfortable, I'll chamber a round and put my G19 in the center console. If its after work and I can wear jeans and carry OWB with a sweatshirt over it, I may chamber a round but I'd hope my training would take over and I'd still rack the slide before shooting. I haven't fired a magazine in 3 years where I didn't start the process by racking the slide unless I'm practicing shooting multiple mags in a row. I'm aware that there MAY be a circumstance where having to rack the slide is a disadvantage but FOR ME Condition 3 was the best way to go. I use snap caps and practice racking the slide using my belt or shoe in case I only have one arm free. I have tried both methods and for me, condition 3 was the way to go.

3. Melissa5

Melissa5
    Expand Collapse

I've carried in a Stow-n-go for the past year without any mishaps. No worries. :cool:

4. Jim S.

Jim S.
    Expand Collapse

I would like to say that if it makes you nervous to carry a Glock with one in the chamber then it would be silly for you to do so.
    You have to be comfortable carrying a weapon. Otherwise you will stop carrying it.
    Glocks are probably one of the safest guns to carry with one in the chamber.
    Learn about the Glock safe action and carry it unchambered until you are confident in it.
    Getting a gun with a manual safety probably won't make you feel any safer.
    Glocks do not fire themselves.
    people who accidently fire a Glock more than likely pulled the trigger in some way.
    When you go to the range and shoot your Glock, feel how far the trigger has to travel to make it shoot.
    Feel how hard you have to pull on that trigger.
    Learn your gun and gain the confidence to carry it with a round in the chamber.
    Until then carry it unchambered.
    Just be sure you know how to rack a round in there quickly and confidently because it is an extra step that is not considered a good thing in a very bad situation.

#44 Jim S., Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  5. ray glock

ray glock
    Expand Collapse

It is all about knowing your firearm, how to use it and self-discipline. You might call it ...Gun Control.

6. fmfdocglock

fmfdocglock
    Expand Collapse

For a couple of months after I got my G30 I carried without a round chambered. I was trained in the Israeli draw when I was in the service.

I gradually started carrying with one in the chamber, and now that is how I carry.

Getting a first rate holster like the Crossbreed Supertuck that completely covered the trigger and stayed in place definitely helped.

Still doesn't change the fact that you have to pay attention the trigger doesn't get caught on anything.

7. robbyg1

robbyg1
    Expand Collapse

8. SCC

SCC
    Expand Collapse
    Member Me

I posted them on here :whistling:

#48 SCC, Nov 11, 2010
  9. powder86

powder86
    Expand Collapse
    SHOOT SAFE!

yes you're being silly. that trigger will not go off without you putting your finger on it and pulling it. i carry a 19 in that same holster. it's not gonna go bang without you pulling the trigger. also, most of the folks i know that cc a glock, carry IWB with one in the chamber.

#49 powder86, Nov 11, 2010
  10. pacountryboy

pacountryboy
    Expand Collapse

The idea of no "safety" on glocks is the reason I didn't buy one first. Started with a SR9 with the manual thumb safety. Carried it one in the chamber and safe on. I bought a LCP and to ease my mind with it, I carried the SR9 without one in the chamber and and safety off. After I realized that the trigger wasn't being pulled(by clothing or anything catching it) until I pulled it, I carried my LCP, then shortly after bought my glock. Now it's always one in the chamber. Try what people have been telling you and just watch your trigger at the end of the day. Soon that feeling of uncertainty will pass.

Country

#50 pacountryboy, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  11. danbaum

danbaum
    Expand Collapse

This is what i tried, and you're right; I couldn't make the firing pin fall. I massaged the outside of the holster in every conceivable way, and never tripped the trigger. Thank you.

12. Warp

Warp
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

<--Always chambered for on my person carry.

13. diablo_svr

diablo_svr
    Expand Collapse

I carried unchambered when I first started carrying (G19 BTW) and nothing ever caused the triggered to be accidentally pulled. Also, since it wasn't chambered, I was never cautious in any way when I holstered it or any activity that I performed while it was holstered.

Then one day I just racked that puppy and have been carrying one in the pipe ever since.

Personally I think if you have any doubts, you should just carry unchambered until you prove to yourself that it's safe. At least for me, there was no other option. There's not a person in the world that would have changed my mind into carrying chambered from day one...Lack of my experience/confidence.

14. Warp

Warp
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

This violates Rule #1.

15. hamster

hamster
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Wow. This one went off the rails fairly quickly. The OP's question was about how safe a soft-sided holster is coupled with a Glock trigger design.

I think asking if a particular type of holster is safe enough with this particular weapon is a good question. Many folks dragging out tired old mantras of "you might as well carry a hammer" really don't add to the conversation.

The question was NOT about the merits of carrying chambered.
    [​IMG]

#55 hamster, Nov 12, 2010
  16. mr.z28

mr.z28
    Expand Collapse
    learning...

yes...wouldnt carry any other way...

17. David Armstrong

David Armstrong
    Expand Collapse

Wise man. Allow me to take that miserable old junk of a Dick Special off your hands. I'd even be willing to give you a little money for it, since I feel so sorry about you carrying it all these years.:supergrin:
    Most training videos like that are designed that way. In reality, attacks where the chamber condition would matter are so rare as to be nearly non-existent.
    No, you are not being silly. If yo are uncomfortable with C1, go to C3. There really doesn't seem to be much difference between the two in real life. There are advantages and disadvantages to each, and you should decide which are important to you. I don't think you need to worry about the Glock firing in your holster, but if you are uncomfortable you really don't give up much, if anything, by going to chamber empty carry. As for who carries what, it varies. Lots of folks carry chamber loaded, lots of folks carry chamber empty.
    All that nonsense about carrrying C3 means you might as well carry a club, or a brick, or you'll never be able to sue it in time, and assorted silliness plays well on the internet, but reality is that C3 was the preferred mode of carry for autoloaders for a long time in most places, and it worked out just fine. Nothing has happened to change that. If C3 makes you comfortable, carry C3 and go on about your day with the knowledge that you are just as well equipped for trouble as the next guy.

#57 David Armstrong, Nov 12, 2010
  18. Warp

Warp
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

And the reason for this was...?

19. David Armstrong

David Armstrong
    Expand Collapse

Different times, different places, different reasons. Shanghai it was limited training time and resources. Israel it was commonality of training across mulltiple platforms. SAS, from what I've been told, was the safety on their Hi-Powers was tough to access. Don't know why the U.S. military did it or the Texas Rangers did it with the 1911, but I suspect it was because that was the way everybody had always done it and the didn't see any need to change what worked. I've got varying reasons myself. I'm fairly knowledgeable, but to expect me to know why each place or person reasoned a particular manner at various times all over the world is a little much, wouldn't you agree? I think the main point is that under a variety of circumstances C3 was tested, accepted, and found to work quite well over an extensive time frame.

#59 David Armstrong, Nov 12, 2010
  20. matt c

matt c
    Expand Collapse

good video....unfortunately if she had her pistol under a tucked shirt she would have been dead as well. Also...this is a good reason to learn proper withdrawal and side to side footwork. Her footwork sucks(as do most folks).

#60 matt c, Nov 12, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.