close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Carry at work?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by DaneA, Mar 27, 2012.

1. DaneA

DaneA
    Expand Collapse

So I'm reading an employee handbook today and find this under the heading of "Prohibited Conduct"
    "Possessing firearms or other weapons on company property, including parking lots, unless specifically permitted in accordance with state law."

So since I possess a HCP does that allow me "specifically permitted in accordance with state law"?

I seem to think so :cool:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. vafish

vafish
    Expand Collapse

I'll bet it means whatever the boss wants it to mean.

If they want to make an issue out of it they will fire you for it.

3. whitebread

whitebread
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I think it means deep concealment.

4. Warp

Warp
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sounds like an HCP is what you need.

5. CarryTexas

CarryTexas
    Expand Collapse

It might mean that in states like TX and OK a company can't prohibit you from having a gun in your car while parked on company property.

6. beatcop

beatcop
    Expand Collapse

Likely their intent means security guards....that will be their position at the labor board hearing when you are appealing being terminated.

7. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo
    Expand Collapse

Unless your state has an exemption in either it's carry law or labor law I would expect that you would be fired, and your unemployment would probably be denied if you were caught carrying on the clock. There are a large number of states that won't allow employers to ban firearms from parking lots, that would be "specifically permitted."

8. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg
    Expand Collapse
    BTF Inventor

Odd wording. Permits aren't generally seen as "lawful purposes" or "IAWSL" in statutory or policy applications (except on the internet). But some states require employers to allow employees to store firearms in their vehicles with proper permits. I could see this specific wording referencing that. Do you live in such a state? Ultimately, it's up to the interpretation and intent of your employer. Ask if you want to be legit.

9. Arc Angel

Arc Angel
    Expand Collapse
    Deus Vult!

The statement, 'Prohibited Conduct: Possessing firearms or other weapons on company property, including parking lots, unless specifically permitted in accordance with state law.' is a contradiction in terms. The author's intent is too ambiguous for another person to accurately identify.

Now, my wife's personnel handbook clearly stated, 'No firearms are allowed on company property.' - Period. She was really upset when she was forced to stop carrying; but, her two dialectically opposite choices were obvious. She decided to stop carrying during the week; and I quickly noticed that once the Ruger began to be left home ...... well, it tended to stay there.

This is when I started to hear sage remarks like, 'What do I need my gun for?' 'I've got you!' Guess she forgot that I wasn't there for, both, the attempted carjacking and very bloody store robbery that she subsequently became involved in. The ironic part? Her boss is an NRA Lifer who owns a large and expensive gun collection. :upeyes:

10. Chuche2

Chuche2
    Expand Collapse

Dane, The Tn Senate is going to vote on the "Parking Lot Bill" very soon. It will pass and anyone with a HCP will be allowed to keep their guns locked in the car.

11. LibertyPatriot

LibertyPatriot
    Expand Collapse

My work just last week updated our "Weapons Policy". I'm sure it has to do with insurance as we already had something similar in the handbook to what was posted earlier. We also had to sign a receipt of the policy.

12. jastroud

jastroud
    Expand Collapse

Yep, we have a policy here at work as well, the Workplace Violence Prevention policy. Rediculous to say the least. I work at a Credit Union, that has had 5 branches robbed in the 5 years I have been here, 3 of those one branch. It irks me to no end to drive to work, take my 26 and CTAC off, leave it in the car, and put it back on when I go out. The only workplace violence we have is thugs coming in waving guns around and demanding money and they don't give a damn about our policy. In fact, if someone here snapped and went postal, the policy wouldn't do diddly squat to prevent them from coming back and shooting up the place, it would just negate my right to defend ME!!!

If you ask me, policy is the dirtiest word in the English language.

------------------—-------------------
    slap happy pappy

13. Lior

Lior
    Expand Collapse
    GUNS=FREEDOM

Translation: get a SmartCarry

14. md2lgyk

md2lgyk
    Expand Collapse

I have no idea what my employer's "official" policy is in this regard. I work in Maryland so it's irrelevant anyway.

15. John Rambo

John Rambo
    Expand Collapse
    Raven

Carry a gun. Don't tell anyone about it. If you end up using it or someone spots it, 'permitted' or not, put in your 2 weeks notice before they get a chance to fire you. Because you are getting fired.

Thats just how it is.

16. jpa

jpa
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

The policy allows weapons when specifically permitted by state law. You were issued your PERMIT by the state, right? Sounds like you are literally "permitted" by state law. ;)

17. ponders

ponders
    Expand Collapse

there is NOTHING in my policy that says i cant carry at work.. not a single word! so i carry and its privatly owned company so its legal.

i wonder if they could fire someone if it WASNT in the handbook????

18. MarcDW

MarcDW
    Expand Collapse
    MDW Guns
    Millennium Member

Don't ask, don't tell anyone if you carry and it does not state anything in the corp. policy.
    If you ask it will have most likely two effects:
    1. They wake up and will add it in most cases.
    2. You will be always looked at someone who "wants to bring a gun to work".
    So you are not a good little sheep and you bite back >>>> bad employee / liability.

In most cases the wonderful insurance industry is to blame.
    They would not be liable for employees being shot by some criminal or murderer, but if the employee shoots such a person in self defense, they would have to pay.

Oh; when asking for the policy, have a good excuse!

#18 MarcDW, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  19. dosei

dosei
    Expand Collapse

But what matters is...Does the Company think so...

Best to check with the HR person at the company.

20. Glockworks

Glockworks
    Expand Collapse
    Ready/Aim/Fire

Employer bans you from carrying even though you have a CCW license. Ok, then IF a mad person kills you and the employer did not have armed security on site, can your family sue the employer. I mean, the employer stripped you of your second amendment rights and at the same time not doing the reasonable alternative and hire armed security guards?