close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

carry ammo question for glock 29

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by glocknick, May 17, 2010.

1. glocknick

glocknick

Aug 2, 2009
    i currently carry doubletap 180gr cotrolled expansion ammo with the montana gold bullet in my glock 29. i usually carry my 29 in the woods for bear protection and occasionally aroud town when i am up the mountains. i was thinking of switching my carry ammo to buffalo bore 220g hardcast ammo. i know this is a better round for a bear but how effective is a 220g buffalo bore on a two legged attacker? would it be a good idea to carry 2 or 3 jhp in the beginning of the mag and fill the rest with 220g hardcast?

thanks
    nick

2. _The_Shadow

_The_Shadow Ret. Fireman

Jul 23, 2007
    Southeast, LoUiSiAna
    glocknick, I carry mine with handloaded Hornady 200XTP's. I use to load strickly with Blue Dot for these but now I am using Power Pistol at max load and the performance is better from the 3.78" short barrel of the Glock 29. I don't like any bullets heavier than 200 grains from this short pipe pistol.

Good luck and stay safe!

3. Kegs

Kegs Ol 8 fingers ;)

Oct 26, 2009
    Cold side of conus
    I concur. 200 grain is where it's at.

4. G33

G33 Frisky! Millennium Member CLM

May 29, 1999
    With G29
    Heavy is good.
    I use 200 XTP in the country.
    2 or 4 legs.
    :supergrin::supergrin:

5. HOV

HOV

Mar 5, 2005
    BB or DT would make a fine anti-animal load, but I wouldn't carry either of them for self defense. Too much recoil, not enough control.

I'm partial to 180-gr. XTP bullets because I shoot them well, but I haven't tried 200-gr. yet. Sounds like fun.

6. glocknick

glocknick

Aug 2, 2009
    i have started handloading but i would like another year or so of doing so before i carry any of my reloads. i do like power pistol in my 10mm loads. i think 200grain hornady xtp sound like a good comprimise between the 180gr i carry now and the 220gr buffalo bore.

7. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    black bear or grizzly? there is a big difference.

id load up two magazines....one for "in town" with 135gr. Noslers, the other for "in the woods" with a heavy hard cast. you carry a spare mag anyway right?

BTW, the montana gold is a poor choice for defense against human attackers, unless you think that FMJ in a high powered round is good for that. the MG simply is a H.P. profile but doesnt act as a H.P. much at all on a soft target.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  8. glocknick

glocknick

Aug 2, 2009
    it would be a black bear. i very rarely carry extra mags. as far as the montana golds i do agree with you that is why i am lookind for different ammo. i fired some of these montana golds into water jugs and they lost their jackets and barely expanded. the problem is doubletap and buffalo bore are both using them.

9. Aloxite

Aloxite Group W Bench

Jun 13, 2009
    I decided on two different carry loads based on McNetts gelatin tests. I'm only thinking about two legged pests though.

For general use I decided on the 180 grain Gold Dot. For times when I don't want to risk over penetration I picked the Nosler 135 grain.

This is the data from a G20.

He also posted data for the 180 grain GOld dot fired from a G29.

It's interesting to see that the bullet actually has more penetration and a larger recovered diameter fired from the shorter barrel. Out of either gun it is certainly a good choice.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  10. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    carry ONE spare mag and one in the gun.

one mag with a hard cast heavy weight (200gr.~) and the other with a lighter h.p. (135gr.-165gr.).

you just switch mags in the gun depending on where youre going.

with that said, if i know i'll be in black bear country, i will carry my G20 with a heavy hard cast or my L frame .357 with the same type of load.

its very rare that i end up some place i didnt intend on going in the first place.

11. glocknick

glocknick

Aug 2, 2009
    thanks for the good info cowboy. you really got me thinking and using two mags with 2 different loads just seems to be the most logical thing to do.

12. aggiekcc

aggiekcc Lifetime Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Texas
    I carry in the city for the most part and my ammo of choice is the 175 gr Winchester Silvertips. I have shot multiple types of Doubletap and the Bufalo Bore, Federal, and Hornady. The main reason for the Winchesters is that I am more accurate with them. Just my 2 cents.

13. chemboy

chemboy

Jun 9, 2004
    Idaho
    The 175 gr Silvertip is quite accurate for me also.
    I have chronographed them at 1120 fps out of a G29 and 1220 out of a G20.
    That being said, when I am packing a 10mm in bear(or more often, wolf) country, I like 200gr truncated cone projectiles such as the 200gr Blazer.
    YMMV.

14. Kegs

Kegs Ol 8 fingers ;)

Oct 26, 2009
    Cold side of conus
    I think this is also a good choice due to being standard factory loads from a major supplier.

15. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    wow, youre only getting high end .40cal power from your 10mm. seems to be a waste, but the benefit the 10mm gives you are the options of weak rounds and true 10mm rounds.

if the Win STHP lived up to its hype it would be one of the most favored rounds by true 10mm shooters, unfortunately it falls quite a bit short of 10mm power in real life though.

16. chemboy

chemboy

Jun 9, 2004
    Idaho
    Agreed.
    I was a little disappointed the first time I chrono'd that load.
    Certainly well short of the 1290fps that Winchester claims(claimed?) for it.

I am going to start reloading for the 10mm soon; I see no reason I could not safely obtain 1200-1250 from a 180gr out of the G29.
    We will see...

17. Grrrr

Grrrr

Apr 16, 2010
    Winchesters numbers for the st is from a 5.5 in bbl. I also believe that they still down load it a bit. 1220 in a 4 1/2 in bbl is still more than any factory loaded 40 cal round by at least 100 fps. I personally like my defense 10mm round to be a 180 gr going 1300-1350 out of a 4 1/2 bbl.

18. Bohlander

Bohlander

Jun 14, 2005
    I just picked up 2 boxes of Buffalo Bore for my G29 today. I thought I was getting 180 grain Gold Dot's and when I got home I realized that the package was mismarked and were some other bullet (perhaps Montana Gold that people are talking about). Should I be concerned that it's not the Gold Dot? Please let me know what your thoughts are. I use the gun both for hiking in Nevada (bear and mountain lion), as well as for CCW.

Thanks,
    Bryce

19. Ak.Hiker

Ak.Hiker

Feb 8, 2005
    Homer Alaska
    For the woods I load my Glock 29 with the 200 grain DT or BB FMJ loads. Another good woods walking load is the 200 grain CorBon Penetrator. Right now I am carrying the DT loaded with the Montana Gold brass jacketed FMJ. This load runs good in my Glock and the bullet I recovered after going through 5-6 inches of wood could have been reloaded. I always carry a back up magazine as well. My SD load for the 29 is either the Hornady 180 grain XTP or the 175 grain Winchester Silvertip. Easy change over for ammo selection depending on your location. I have at times loaded the first two rounds with the 180 grain XTP or 175 Grain Silvertip and the next eight 200 grain FMJ's.

20. Ak.Hiker

Ak.Hiker

Feb 8, 2005
    Homer Alaska
    I like the MG FMJ bullets. I have never tried their HP's. They are a target bullet. However some target bullets like the Sierra FPJ work good on game because of their deep penetration. The MG JHP may be similar but I have never tried them.