Carry Ammo in my G19?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by G35DriverG19Carrier, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Are the 124 Gold Dots bonded? That was one thing I did like about my Golden Sabers

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Gold Dots have the jacket infused into the lead core and they act more like a plated bullet than jacketed. I have never had one fail in testing and every Gold Dot made certainly resides in the premium category.

3. I have been carrying the Hornday 124g XTP for quite a while but I kinda like Hornady's new Critical Duty 135g bullet. Have only watched YouTube videos and the article in American Rifleman.

4. Yes, they are bonded.

5. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

I'd go with the 9mm 115gr JHP +p+ load from Winchester or Federal. I get 1400 FPS out of my G17. You should get 1350ish FPS out of your G19.

6. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I think you mis understand.

The 147gr is just fine. I carry it almost as frequently as 124 and 127.

7. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

Why such a random mix? They all hit the paper in various places. :upeyes:

8. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Please, save the sarcasm :upeyes:

They hit the paper close enough for defensive purposes. I certainly don't adjust my point of aim based on the weight of the bullet that is in the gun.

9. Your bullet fine, per the authority: http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm#9mm

10. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

I fail to see where I indulged in sarcasm. I was just recognizing that a 9mm 115gr bullet at 1300 FPS would hit significantly lower than a 147gr bullet doing 900 FPS.

11. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Where did you, or I, say anything about a 115gr bullet?

12. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

I brought the 115gr and 147gr bullets in for they are common bullet weights in 9mmP. The 147gr bullet hits a bit higher on the target paper.

13. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

14. I, as well, do not believe there is one authority on all things related to handgun ballistics. Both sides (heavy/slow, light/fast) make good points, and both sides seem to lack something, IMHO. The list found by clicking the link is from a heavy/slow proponent that believes that only penetration matters. Having seen many animals get shot by hunters I am not convinced that only penetration matters, even with handguns. Some loads that are reported by others on GT to have very good street records are not on the list.

My personal preference is for middle of the road weight bullets moving at or near maximum speeds for each cartridge type I shoot. I split the difference between heavy/slow and light/fast. Since I don't have all of the answers I have decided this is the best approach to load selection for me.

Everyone has to make the decision on their SD load. Some may agree with me, many do not. That is OK, I think that each person needs to use what they feel is best for them.

ETA - Saying that the "authority" believes only penetration matters is to overly simplify his position. I should say he favors penetration over other things.

#35 avenues165, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  15. I'd like to see a number of 9mm calibrated gel tests using a platform with a 3" barrel. A good candidate for the test weapon would be the new S&W Shield as that pistol apparently has been a very reliable one since its introduction.

There are enough tests in 9mm with the 4" barrel length to allow everyone with the ability to do their own research to arrive at a personal decision. It appears to me that as barrel length increases the bullet weight a particular caliber was designed around only increases in effectiveness, with heavier weight bullets becoming viable with greater barrel length and SAAMI pressure.

There are so many hundreds of thousands of micro 9mm pistols in private hands today that I really think the next step in this area is the investigation into how the various weight bullets perform in the same media used to establish criteria for barrels of 4" or longer. I wouldn't be surprised to learn a 115-grain 9mm bullet outperform a 147-grain bullet in the micro-sized pistol.

16. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

17. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuzznRose
    Your bullet fine, per the authority: http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_De.../index.htm#9mm

Good question. These are the same people who adamantly refuse to acknowledge the FACT that both the 9mm 115JHP+P+ and the 357Mag 125JHP, used by street cops across the nation in hundreds of shootings, have a proven street record.

But hey, DocGKR doesn't let such facts get in the way when it comes down to testing bullets in the artificial labratory under artificial conditions using ballistic jello that cannot and will never be able to simulate real human flesh, blood and bones.

18. What is the author's degree in?? Say it with me, Dentistry.
    :whistling:

"Merkavaboy: Good question. These are the same people who adamantly refuse to acknowledge the FACT that both the 9mm 115JHP+P+ and the 357Mag 125JHP, used by street cops across the nation in hundreds of shootings, have a proven street record.

But hey, DocGKR doesn't let such facts get in the way when it comes down to testing bullets in the artificial labratory under artificial conditions using ballistic jello that cannot and will never be able to simulate real human flesh, blood and bones."
    ^^^^^^This!