close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Carpool and new guy riding to work us.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Folsom_Prison, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

May 2, 2010
    Midwest
    Been carpooling with a guy from work for about a year and a half. He drives one week I drive the next, works fine for us. It costs both of us 60 bucks per week to drive to work. Our vehicles get the Same craptastic gas mileage. We don't give eachother any money.

New guy that lives in the same town as me and my car pool biddy started a few weeks back, his BIL works with us and got him the job.

New guy was riding to work with his BIL, his BIL got sent to work somewhere else. New guy started to ride we me and my buddy.

For the record I didn't know this at first but the man doesn't have his own vehicle. He has one but him and his wife have five kids, she doesn't work and she needs the car is what he told me. He's 40 years old btw.

So new dude needs a ride since his BIL will no longer be working with us, he asked if he could roll with me and my car pool buddy. I said sure but you'll have to give me gas money since you won't drive your own vehicle and rotate a week.

He said sure thing....... Well today after riding with me for a few days he asked how much me and my buddy wanted for gas money a week... I said 25 bucks a week.

He got pissed and rolled his eyes and said his BIL only charged him ten bucks a week. I responded with your not my family I hardly know you and your lucky to ride with me.

He made it clear he wasn't happy, but then I asked him what his other options were? He said nothing but he didn't agree. I told him it's really not my responsibility for him to get to work, butni was giving him a option.

I told him in jest he's getting off cheap even though he didn't agree.

You guys think I'm wrong?

You guys tracking?

For the record well

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  2. SquackDaddy

SquackDaddy NRA member

ass, gas, or grass.....nobody rides for free!

3. Moravia

Moravia

Dec 22, 2011
    I would be charging him $40 a week. You don't owe him anything. If he doesn't pony up the money he better take the cash and invest in some walking shoes or a bus pass. I think your offer was more than fair. If he doesn't like it he can literally take a hike. Stick with you and your buddy.

4. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

May 2, 2010
    Midwest
    I'll pass on the first and third part from him.

5. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

Nov 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    tactical, you are 100% right by asking him for $25 and it's only fair since it's your wheels getting him to work and he can't return the favor. If he doesn't want to pony up the money, I would just hand him the bus schedule and tell him it's cheaper if he buys the monthly bus pass rather than riding with you guys. At this point, I would just have a sour taste in my mouth with him and just tell him it's better if he finds his own way.

6. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? Millennium Member CLM

Feb 24, 1999
    Lessee - you and your buddy are each bearing the costs of a vehicle, gas, insurance, maintenance, any repairs, traffic tickets or other surprise expenses.

You don't know him from Adam. He's not family or a friend. He's bringing... nothing to the table. And he's feeling like $100 a month is more than his fair share?

I'd probably say something along the lines of... well, it'd all be asterisks, let's just say that.

And even at $25 a week, he'd be walking about 10 seconds after the first time he complained about the music or temperature. :)

7. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

Mar 11, 2007
    State
    "No fat chicks."

8. Glock40man

Glock40man

Feb 1, 2011
    The Midwest
    No, you're not wrong. Even if you are not going out of your way, the guy still needs to throw in.

9. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

May 2, 2010
    Midwest
    I guess I'm a nice guy, but I can have a hole tendencies. This guy rubbed me the wrong way today, not only with the gas money deal but he's a bible thumper and asked me over and over if I would go to church with him this weekend.

I told him no! And then he told me how he would pray for me to quit smoking and drinking :upeyes:

10. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? Millennium Member CLM

Feb 24, 1999
    Ummm... yeah, that's worse than complaining about the music and/or temperature.

Good luck with public transportation, Amigo! would be the nicest thing I can think of to say.

11. Glock40man

Glock40man

Feb 1, 2011
    The Midwest
    Oh, one of those.:upeyes: Like you going to church with him will save him his gas money.

12. nursetim

nursetim

Mar 1, 2006
    liberalville N. M.
    Totally reasonable. Mongo no pony up the money, walking is very healthful.

13. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

May 2, 2010
    Midwest
    Thanks for the responses guys! Me and my car pool buddy were rolling on the floor with the thought if we both called into work and this guy didn't have a ride to work. As wrong as that may sound but this guy rubbed us wrong, then b****** about gas and then wants us to go to church with him so he can save us.

The more I think about it, this guy can kick sand!

14. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Jun 5, 2010
    No your not in the wrong, he is just trying to get over or is really an unappreciative a--hole.

:50cal:

15. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

He would be on his own as far as a ride to work,

tell him his wife can drop him off and pick him up from now on,

and that you would pray for him:rofl:

16. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Sounds like you gave him a good deal. Maybe there's a reason a 40-year-old needs his brother-in-law to get him a job and doesn't have a way to get there. He may turn out to just be that kind of guy.

I usually react to annoying people by cutting ties very quickly. I'd dump the guy from the car pool immediately and be done with him. Not your problem, so keep it that way.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  17. 4 glocks

4 glocks

Jun 29, 2010
    With gas prices $25 a week is nothing. My lawn mower can use $25 a week. Just tell him I will take you to work for free but I am going to use that $25 for smokes and drinks.

If he just started riding with you and he is trying to "save" you already that's going to get old real quick.

If his wife is not working and they have 5 kids he may not have any money. Maybe he should have been praying instead of making babies.

18. Rcsteffen

Rcsteffen

Dec 25, 2011
    I'm guessing the church invite was because he needed a ride there. LOL what a tool.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

19. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    I'm not sure I agree with the math.

It costs $60/week to drive a car. You and Buddy 1 essentially split that cost by swapping off. You're calling that a $60/week savings because it would cost $120/week for both of you to drive. However, it really only costs $60/week per car, so you should really talk about splitting $60/week among the number of riders.

So Buddy2's fair share of the transportation cost would be $20/week.

20. 4 glocks

4 glocks

Jun 29, 2010
    But buddy 1 & 2 are wearing there cars out giving Buddy #3 a ride not to mention the cost to operate a car. Tax, Tag, Insurance, oil changes, new tires, repairs, car wash, ect ect.

$25 is more than fair.