close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Caribou Hunt Info Needed

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by trapfan, Mar 7, 2005.

1. trapfan

trapfan Got Glock?

Sep 19, 2001
    Michigan, U.S.A
    I would like some info on what gear, type of hunting(stalking/driving around)or running the rivers that typically take place on a caribou hunt. Also would like your experiences on what to look for in a guide and what you thought of the meat and the total Caribou hunt experience. I am looking at going in September-October of this year. Thanks......Trapfan

2. http://www.worldwidewilderness.com/tours.php?cmd=detail&tid=125

A friend of mine has gone the last 2 years to the Mirage Lodge in Quebec & had a blast. It wasen't cheep though. I think each person spent around $2200 (there were 11 people) each. They drove up in groups of 4 splitting the gas money which was about $250 each.
    Each were allowed 2 caribou...they came home with 22.

Caribou is some of the best meat I've ever had.
    Good Luck

3. My dad went about 3 years ago on a Caribou hunt. We have some friends in Fairbanks. They arranged a float plane to fly them in, and they had inflateable boats to drift down stream.

First morning they woke up and opened the flap on their tent. A herd of Caribou was walking all around them. They just loaded up their rifles and shot 2 each. Gutted them out, packed everything up and fished as they paddled down stream. Biggest problem was tearing up the bottom of the boats a couple of times and having to unload everything to patch them up.

4. lazarus

lazarus Hard to Kill

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    I kept a complete journal of my trip last summer. It was planned by me and completely self-guided. I brought home a bull, which I am still eating, and the mount is at the taxidermist.

http://www.mattfender.net/alaska/

5. trapfan

trapfan Got Glock?

Sep 19, 2001
    Michigan, U.S.A
  6. Guest

Hey Lazarus, we need to go again. I am thinking lodge hunting this time. Oh, and no rapids....