Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

carbine vs mid-length

Discussion in 'GATE AR-15 Forum' started by CarRamRod, Nov 14, 2010.

1. CarRamRod

CarRamRod Liter of Cola

Jan 14, 2008
    I'm typing this from my phone so I hope it's not a repost. I need an expert opinion. I was planning on buying a complete upper from a certain company with 16" barrel and carbine length gas system. The local "experts" started telling me that for a 16" I need to run a mid-length gas system. They went on to tell me that the carbine system is too hard on the rifle. I didn't really get specifics because I thought I was being messed with but something was said about a heavy duty buffer among other things. This particular rifle will be for HD and occasional recreation target shooting.
  2. Constructor

Constructor Moderator

Dec 10, 2009
    The mid gas system is easier on the bolt, extractor and carrier but, the carbine system has been around for a long time not to work. As long as the carbine is ported correctly it should run fine. If it ejects the case around 1-2 O'clock have the gas block port sleeved to around .062, that should slow the carrier speed down and move the ejection angle back to 3 O'clock or straight to the right.
    If the 2 rifles were side by side and the same quality grab the mid -length.