close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

carbine or full length gas?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by ruffhunter, Jan 26, 2011.

1. ruffhunter

ruffhunter

Mar 9, 2009
    sw ohio
    I have a Hogue full length handguard on a 16 in barrel and I was in need of sights. I purchased a YHM 9394 gas block/flip up front sight. I only got the 9394 just to have a front sight that will sit beyond the handguard and it also gives a longer sighting plane. It currently has the factory short length gas block that sits 3 inches from the end of the handguard tube. Would you leave it as is or convert it to a full length gas system?

2. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Mar 17, 1999
    Western WA
    If you're asking the question you don't know enough to go messing with the length of your gas system. Leave it.

3. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

Feb 9, 2005
    You can't go longer on the gas system without plugging up the old gas port and drilling a new one, both of which are major operations requiring precise equipment and a machinist's skills. By the time you do this, it will have been cheaper to just buy a new barrel. However, your new gas block will work fine just as a front sight post.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  4. Novocaine

Novocaine

Jun 10, 2004
    Why in the world would you want to convert it to rifle length?

5. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    You would need to replace the barrel to change the gas system.
    It sounds as if you have a carbine gase system & you are wanting a longer sight radius?

Do some research on the "dissipator" or send me a pm and I will send you a few links

6. Because rifle length gas systems are more reliable with less wear and tear on the gun? Not saying he should do it, but I can see why he would want to.

7. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Not really,........depends on many things. A rifle length gas system on a 16" barrel
    has a weird dwell time. For a 16" the standard and most reliable is a mid length gas.

OP seems more concerned about getting a rifle length sight radius than gas system

8. BBJones

BBJones

Mar 2, 2010
    I am thinking the OP means mid-length gas system and not "rifle length." Rifle length on a 16" is very unusual and may lead to a host of problems.

Like others have said to get a mid-length (or any other length of gas system) you need a new barrel. If you want a longer sight radius maybe get a rail to mount sights.

9. Bushflyr

Mar 17, 1999
    Western WA
    Actually, changing the length of gas system is rather easy. Just not something the OP ought to tackle at his level of experience.

10. Durden

Durden

Oct 5, 2010
    Allegedly. Just sayin'.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  11. DieselNut

DieselNut

May 21, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Look up the pig tail gas tube or a Fat boy gas tube. I think both would slow your cycle rate and lessen the wear on your bolt.
    Probably could find them cheaper somewhere else but here's one:
    http://www.impactguns.com/store/100000553.html

12. Bushflyr

Mar 17, 1999
    Western WA
    Dude. Just no. :upeyes:

13. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy CLM

Nov 17, 2006
    God's Country (Texas)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

14. ruffhunter

ruffhunter

Mar 9, 2009
    sw ohio
    I only poised this question since I added the YHM flip sight (just for the sight) and thought about putting the gas block to use. Knowing the rifle length gas system would be easier on gun. NO I wouldn't mess with it myself for those critics. I'm just going to leave it as is.