close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

carbine or full length gas?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by ruffhunter, Jan 26, 2011.

1. ruffhunter

ruffhunter

I have a Hogue full length handguard on a 16 in barrel and I was in need of sights. I purchased a YHM 9394 gas block/flip up front sight. I only got the 9394 just to have a front sight that will sit beyond the handguard and it also gives a longer sighting plane. It currently has the factory short length gas block that sits 3 inches from the end of the handguard tube. Would you leave it as is or convert it to a full length gas system?

2. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

If you're asking the question you don't know enough to go messing with the length of your gas system. Leave it.

3. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

You can't go longer on the gas system without plugging up the old gas port and drilling a new one, both of which are major operations requiring precise equipment and a machinist's skills. By the time you do this, it will have been cheaper to just buy a new barrel. However, your new gas block will work fine just as a front sight post.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  4. Novocaine

Novocaine

Why in the world would you want to convert it to rifle length?

5. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

You would need to replace the barrel to change the gas system.
    It sounds as if you have a carbine gase system & you are wanting a longer sight radius?

Do some research on the "dissipator" or send me a pm and I will send you a few links

6. Unistat

Unistat

Because rifle length gas systems are more reliable with less wear and tear on the gun? Not saying he should do it, but I can see why he would want to.

7. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Not really,........depends on many things. A rifle length gas system on a 16" barrel
    has a weird dwell time. For a 16" the standard and most reliable is a mid length gas.

OP seems more concerned about getting a rifle length sight radius than gas system

8. BBJones

BBJones

I am thinking the OP means mid-length gas system and not "rifle length." Rifle length on a 16" is very unusual and may lead to a host of problems.

Like others have said to get a mid-length (or any other length of gas system) you need a new barrel. If you want a longer sight radius maybe get a rail to mount sights.

9. Bushflyr

Actually, changing the length of gas system is rather easy. Just not something the OP ought to tackle at his level of experience.

10. Durden

Durden

Allegedly. Just sayin'.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  11. DieselNut

DieselNut

Look up the pig tail gas tube or a Fat boy gas tube. I think both would slow your cycle rate and lessen the wear on your bolt.
    Probably could find them cheaper somewhere else but here's one:
    http://www.impactguns.com/store/100000553.html

12. Bushflyr

Dude. Just no. :upeyes:

13. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy CLM

^^^^^^^^^^^

14. ruffhunter

ruffhunter

I only poised this question since I added the YHM flip sight (just for the sight) and thought about putting the gas block to use. Knowing the rifle length gas system would be easier on gun. NO I wouldn't mess with it myself for those critics. I'm just going to leave it as is.