close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Car Cover

Discussion in 'Car Forum' started by Old School, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Old School

Old School
    Expand Collapse

The wife talked me into buying a house with a small garage (and no storage space). I have 4 cars and only 2 drivers so at least one car sits in the open getting filthy. Any suggestions on a car cover? Mfgs, models, items to avoid, recommended items - all comments are welcome.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. tony4311

tony4311
    Expand Collapse

I know numerous car makers use block-it car covers for the OEM covers. Which model of cover I'm not sure.

3. lakota169

lakota169
    Expand Collapse

I had a 10x20 enclosed car cover for my '37 Plymouth. Got it at Cosco for $169. Worked great. Would still have it, but the city made me take it down (after 2 years). Not allowed here. If you do get one, make sure you bolt it down. I had mine staked down with tent pegs and we had very high winds one day. Wind blew into the front opening (didn't have it closed) and picked it up and over the neighbors fence. After that, we bolted it to the cement drive. Didn't touch the car.

4. Old School

Old School
    Expand Collapse

Home owners covenants will not let me build anything, so the cover that 'blankets' the car is my only choice.

Any difference between 'water proof' and 'mostly water proof'? I'm OK with some water, just not the dirt.

5. spober

spober
    Expand Collapse

YOU RISK SCRATCHING THE PAINT WHICH DEFEATS THE PERPOSE IN THE FIRST PLACE.where they fasten or ti down is a bad spot.not to meantion if any dirt or dust is on the car before covering the cover will act like a big piece of SAND PAPER!

6. triggerjerk

triggerjerk
    Expand Collapse

I had a WOLF brand car cover for an old t/a i had.
    Worked great, even in bad winters. The snow stacked up with no problem. no body damage/scratches.
    Had some fancy kimberly klark weave in it.
    Just make sure it is buttoned down tight or the wind may whip
    it around.
    Bought it from Super Shops back in the day. . .

7. lakota169

lakota169
    Expand Collapse

Before I had the drive in cover, I had one that just fit over the car, with elastic at the bottom to hold it on. Worked pretty good, but when we took it off, there was condensation on car. You need one that breathes (let's air circulate) but keeps rain/snow out and has a soft lining that doesn't scratch. California Car Cover has a web site and they have different kinds of covers as well as other accessories.

8. Jack Straight

Jack Straight
    Expand Collapse

Check out CarCoversDirect.com
    http://www.carcoversdirect.com/

I'm looking into this for the first time myself. I just got a nice used car, and the birds mess it up a lot. Thinking of covering it when I come home at night/weekends. (Not a problem at work.)

I'm thinking of the Technalon® Evolution cover. This is what Honda uses for their OEM covers, I believe.

Anybody else use one on a daily basis? Too much hassle?