close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Captive or non-captive recoil springs

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by billdean, Apr 9, 2011.

1. billdean

billdean
    Expand Collapse

Any opinions on which one should be used in a glock 10mm? My G-29 and G-20 are 10 years old and I would like to replace them. Stainless or Tungsten?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. EAA10

EAA10
    Expand Collapse

The new 29 springs are captive. I prefer stock Glock parts, so I would get the stock replacement, or the upgraded spring if applicable....

3. leadslinger13

leadslinger13
    Expand Collapse

i have been using a dead bang non captive recoil guide and spring for about a year now. I think it is far superior to the glock OEM and others.

he used to have a demo on his web page but it looks like its gone. It really reduces muzzle flip and softens recoil.

4. g29guy

g29guy
    Expand Collapse

I purchased the non captive stainless steel rod and the spring kit (17,19,21,23 pound springs) from wolff springs for my 29.
    The non captive doesn't take any longer and is easier to keep clean. You just have to pay attention when you take the slide off to remove the springs so you dont bump them and send them flying. Reinstalling the springs is a sinch, even the 23 pound spring isnt hard to install.
    The advantage of the non captive spring is you can change the spring in the field or at the range in about 30 seconds so you can fix any cycling issues or fine tune your springs for your reloads.
    I haven't had any cycle problems with my 21 or 23 pound springs with factory hornady htp 180 or rem 180 umc and although the 23 pound does take a bit more to rack the slide it keeps the brass ejecting about 6 feet away.
    Hope this helps

5. DWS22

DWS22
    Expand Collapse

.....In my G20 I use a Wolff guide rod with a 22# spring,,,this set-up was recommended by Canyon Man,and it works very well with ALL loads...Weak and strong...:wavey:

... http://www.gunsprings.com/home

6. lunker

lunker
    Expand Collapse

How about the G29? It has a dual rate spring. Are people going with single rate springs and Wolff guide rods?

7. g29guy

g29guy
    Expand Collapse

I use the dual rate spring and the ss guide rod for the 29.
    http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=1&mID=5#121

Not sure if you can use a single spring. I don't know why you would want to. The gen 4 glocks are going to a dual spring because it is better. Simple is good but so is technology. The dual spring helps with recoil and makes a smother transition for the slide. I think the gen 3 29 uses the dual spring for recoil control.

8. billdean

billdean
    Expand Collapse

Thanks everyone. It may be a while before I want to shoot again. The wolf system sould perry good.

9. mudrush

mudrush
    Expand Collapse
    Deceased

Captive rod is better for quick cleaning in the field if you get it too dirty.

Non captive is better when tuning at the range but not combat.