close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Captain Obvious shoots at my range

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by njl, Apr 14, 2014.

1. njl

njl

Sep 28, 2000
    :noitacoL
    So, I'm at the range over the weekend chronographing a few new loads in 9mm, .45acp, and .38spl. Chronograph is out in front of me on a tripod. Log book is on the table in front of me, along with an assortment of ammo in at least a dozen quart-size ziplock bags. An older guy comes up behind me and asks "do you save your brass?"

"Yes, I reload all of it." Meanwhile, I'm thinking "are you seriously asking me if you can take my brass? Can't you see I'm a reloader?!?"

:rofl:

2. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hellbilly Hill
    Did he ask you for brass? You could have been a crime lab geek. :dunno:

:supergrin:

3. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Apr 5, 2007
    Utah
    At least he asked. Better than the toads who say if it hits the ground it is fair game. :steamed:

4. Paul53

Paul53 Geezer Boomer

Nov 27, 2011
    Maine
    Did I offend you? Sorry bro!

5. cheygriz

cheygriz Venerable Elder

Apr 2, 2000
    High up in the rockies
    This guy must really get around. He's been present on every range I've ever used.:supergrin:

6. Dave514

Dave514

Jul 6, 2013
    USSA
    My range says don't pick it up. Not even your own. Brass is property of the range.

I always thought that was odd.

7. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    Totally illegal and can only be enforced if brass falls forward of the firing line based on safety. I wouldn't patron a range that did that BS.

8. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    A few outings back, I was at wades, shooting 9mm thru my 3913. I save the brass, so I sweep the bay and the brass immediately behind me to replenish the empty 50 rnd box of AE I just shot.
    A guy in next bay looks at me, shakes his head and says something to his friend.
    I look at guy, shrug, and ask, 'I piss you off or something?'
    He goes, 'you're not supposed to pick up the brass'
    I go, 'why not? It's my ammo and my brass. It's not like I'm stealing it. I paid for it.'
    He goes, 'the range doesn't want people picking up the brass.'

I said, 'too bad.'

I've never had anyone working at the range say that. They may come by and sweep brass downrange out of the bays after people shoot, but nothing like telling people they can't pick up their brass in a safe area.

9. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hellbilly Hill
    They keep a box or two of mixed brass for people to dump theirs into. I just keep mine. Surely, someone comes along and takes it all.

10. Dave514

Dave514

Jul 6, 2013
    USSA
    I don't reload so it's not a big deal for me. I always figured they sell it and that helps offset the cost of running the range to some degree. If I were a reloader it might be a different story.

I only go there a couple times a year and I don't really like indoor ranges with other people I don't know in them so it's convenient at off peak times.

But I can see where people would avoid them and their brass policy.

11. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    Yup Wades, what a joke that place is... one place specifically I will not patron because of their idiotic policy's.

12. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Jul 26, 2007
    The interwebs
    And that'd be the absolute last time I'd shoot at that range.

13. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    I would explain that if I couldn't keep my brass they'd lose my business. I bet they'd make an exception. They'd be fools not to.

14. njl

njl

Sep 28, 2000
    :noitacoL
    I wouldn't shoot at such a place if I had other options, but are you sure that's illegal? On the one hand, I would think that a private establishment can set whatever rules they like, and if you don't like them, don't go there. On the other, it's a fine line between that and "anything you drop on the floor belongs to the range." To a reloader, each .45acp casing is like a nickel or a dime. If you dropped a handful (or two big handfuls) of change on the floor somewhere, it doesn't immediately cease to be your $.

Anyway, the range where I shoot is a private gun club / outdoor range...and yeah, I have actually had my brass stolen there once by someone who quietly came up behind me and picked up my brass while I was still shooting in a "semi-private" bay.

People like this make me want to put up a sign when I'm at the range:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  15. CarryTexas

CarryTexas

Aug 8, 2002
    DFW
    Did I read somewhere that in California because of lead contamination that if your brass hits the floor you can't pick it up?

I've heard of ranges doing this and I wouldn't spend a dime in one. At the range I shoot at most I have had the RSO sweep piles of brass to me so I could pick through it.

16. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Seriously, find another range. I always pick my brass up, regardless. If they toss me, their loss.

17. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Pure BS. Some idiot may tell you that, but it's BS. Same thing is told to the tire people; can't give or sell lead wheel weights, against the EPA rules. They just can't toss it in the trash.:dunno:

18. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Nov 12, 2011
    Idaho

I agree, although one of the local indoor ranges had to remove the brooms used for sweeping up brass and replace them with a flat roller kind of thing. Whatever the local equivalent to OSHA dropped in and said the brooms stirred too much lead into the atmosphere. I guess he got there on a slow day when nobody was shooting...

19. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    They sweep up the brass and sell it. Just lines their pockets with more cash. Best to let ranges with policies like that go out of business.

I shoot at an outdoor range/club. But you still get the old codgers with no life that try to swipe brass whenever they can. I'll bet dollars to pesos they don't actually use even a third of what they collect either.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  20. ca survivor

ca survivor

Dec 25, 2011
    Florida
    the range I go to, they sweep the brass next to me, so it be easier for me to pick it up.