close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Can't see my red dot...

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by musclegto, Feb 4, 2013.

1. musclegto

musclegto

Nov 14, 2012
    Just got my Aimpoint Micro in the mail. Awesome looking sight, feels of high quality. I mounted it onto my Sig m400 and I cannot see the red dot as it is very high up. The stock prevents my face from going low enough to see it. I can only see it if I look directly behind the stock. I Imagine this is why I see people mounting the sights on risers, I was hoping to keep it low profile. Any advice?

2. BenjiEDF

BenjiEDF

Jun 15, 2012
    Yep you'll need a riser :) You'll want the standard riser that will allow the red dot to either absolute co-witness or 1/3 co-witness with the front sight gas block. Aimpoint makes a riser for it, Daniel Defense makes one, and Larue makes a nice quick detach version.

3. musclegto

musclegto

Nov 14, 2012
    Gotcha, thanks!

I will be trying out a UTG low profile see how everything lines up before I buy a quality riser.

4. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    Why?

Go to Primary Arms and get a American Defense or Seekins mount.

5. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    A LaRue QD mount will cost you $107. If you don't want the QD feature, order it with the VFZ mount, and it'll knock $25 off the price. I'd suggest the LaRue 660 which will give a lower 1/3rd cowitness. I'm actually about to replace my Comp M2 with a T1 micro on a LT660 mount.

If that is still too expensive, the Daniel Defense mount is $71 or less, and also works well, but has no quick detach capability at all.

Don't buy a ****ty UTG mount to put under a nice Aimpoint.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  6. musclegto

musclegto

Nov 14, 2012
  7. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    A low profile mount is not going to work on an AR-15 - period. You won't be able to get low enough on the stock to effectively use the dot. That's the down side to an inline stock like on the AR platform rifles. On a SIG-556, FN FAL, M1A, etc. with a drop comb stock, you can easily use a very low mount, but not on the straight stocks of the AR-15/10,

8. musclegto

musclegto

Nov 14, 2012
  9. Can't see your red dot? Hmmmm... my stomach is so big I can't see my... And you think you have problems.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  10. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    We all have to learn at some point. Great choice on the red dot. :cool:

11. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Glad to be of help, and I apologize if my earlier post came off a bit snarky - it wasn't intended that way.

The easy way to tell how short you can go on a red dot is to look at that weapon's front sight. The horizontal (ie: line that runs horizontally through the optic, and is centered vertically) center line of the optic's window has to be at least as high as the top of your front sight post to really be usable. On an AK, that's pretty low to the receiver. On an AR, not so much. Good news for you is that the T1's window is pretty tiny to begin with, so even with the sight that high, it's not as tall or bulky as an Aimpoint M2/3/4/PRO that's at the same center-line height. That bulk (and weight) is why I'm going to be replacing my M2 with the T1.

12. musclegto

musclegto

Nov 14, 2012

Not at all snarky, you were very helpful.

13. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    I run a 1/3 co-witness Larue on my DD with a standard front sight. For my M&P 15-22 trainer, I prefer a the ADM Absolute co-witness with my fold down BUIS.

14. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    It would probably be best if our trainer and primary were set up as close to the same as possible.

15. humanguerrilla

humanguerrilla

Jul 25, 2006
    the woods
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  16. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    I use a LaRue LT-751(absolute co-witness) on one of my SBRs with a T1 and no issue. It's not too tall IMO.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  17. musclegto

musclegto

Nov 14, 2012
  18. gunsnhoses

gunsnhoses

Jan 30, 2008
    Now THAT'S a problem!