Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Can't make up my mind: Nova/SuperNova/930SPX

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by mattz357, Feb 29, 2012.

1. mattz357

Nov 19, 2000
    Peoria, IL
    I REALLY wanted a Benelli M4, but I know that is out of my reach, so I'm trying to decide between the Nova Tactical, Super Nova Tactical and a Mossberg 930SPX. I have a Remington 870 tactical, and I don't shoot it that often, I just feel like I need another shotgun. What is the real difference between the Nova and the Super Nova? Would I be happier with a "high end" pump, or an "entry level" semi-auto (only using pricing for those descriptions, please no flames)? What would everyone consider a good price for each of these? Thanks in advance for any info or opinions!
  2. I would get something you would actually shoot and not another shotgun. :whistling:

The Super Nova has a removable stock and different trigger guard. The GRS are also polymer vs metal on the Nova.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012

3. Clint-M

Jul 7, 2010
    RR, Texas
    I'd go Nova, SuperNova, 930 SPX but I'm set on Semi-autos and don't have any pumps at the moment.

If you want something economical and more enjoyable to shoot I'd suggest waiting a bit and picking up the JM 930. I think the MSRP is around $700, so not a cheap shotgun, but a lot more shotgun (IMO) than the SPX for little more cash. Use the wait to save up for it if you need to.

You've already got the pump that you don't shoot, why add another to the stable?

4. mattz357

Nov 19, 2000
    Peoria, IL
    I think I sent the wrong message about my 870, I was just saying I want another shotgun for the heck of it, not because mine is worn out or anything. I'm going to google the JM930 and check that out. Thanks for the info so far!
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  5. mattz357

Nov 19, 2000
    Peoria, IL
    Are the GRS "better" on the supernova, since it's more expensive, or are the polymer regarded as not as nice as the metal ones on the nova?
  6. I haven't heard of the protective wings breaking on the SNT and I don't know that many people that run them that hard compared to the 870 and 500/590.
  7. mattz357

Nov 19, 2000
    Peoria, IL
    I'm not one to use my things abusively, so the polymer should be fine if that's the only difference. I checked out the JM930 and while it looks like a nice gun I really don't want a vent rib. It's tough to find a Benelli, most of the local shops around here don't sell them. Are there any known issues with either Benelli pump gun? Thanks again!
  8. With the Nova, the most complaints is with a longer pump stroke because its a 3.5" shotgun and the forearm wobble. From what I heard, they fixed the wobble with the SNT.
  9. auto-5

Nov 13, 2011
    I have a Nova and love that sucker. It is just the standard stock but I have shot everything from duck/geese to trap. A big advantage for me is it shoot 3 1/2 shells. If you do get one I would recommend adding a mercury recoil reducer to it. Yes it adds a considerable amount of weight to the gun but it improves the balance and felt recoil so to me it was worth it.
  10. themiller

Jan 10, 2010
    I have nova, supernova, 870.

Nova is my favorite. Few thousand rounds through it, action is smooth as butter. Supernova, no real difference in my mind, was just more expensive. And for the forearm rattle, I'm not sure *why* but all you need to do is turn two allen screws on the foream about 1/4 turn, and the rattle goes away, forever. Again, not sure why, just what I have noticed.

DO get the Limbsaver pad for the Nova. Right away. Makes all the difference when shooting 3.5 or even 2 3/4 slugs or buck IMO. Very comfortable.

The 870, well, it will be relegated to home defense duty once I get a short barrel. It too is pretty, but too much work to keep clean and functional after a day in the field. The novas are just about as maint free as it gets (similar to a glock).
  11. mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    I own a SuperNova tactical and a 930 SPX.

The fact that you cant ever replace the stock on the Nova (if you want the option to?) makes it a deal breaker for me.

The SNT has tons of practical/tactical features I like.

The 930 SPX does what I need it to do for a few hundred less than its competitors.

I love them both.
  12. Remington4Life

Sep 26, 2010
    FL, TX
    I have a super nova, but 930 is more fun to shoot, get that
  13. I'd go 930 SPX. If you want a better feeling pump, just slick up your 870. There's tons of aftermarket options for them.
  14. NG VI

NG VI

Feb 20, 2008
    Personally I don't care for the slide release on the 870 or crossbolt safeties, so I'd probably sell that and get something you would be interested in shooting instead. I would probably get some 930.
  15. deserttactical45

Jan 17, 2011
    I've got a snt and I've put probably 3000 rnds through and its ran great. The action is smooth as butter and you could probably never clean the damn thing and will still go bang every time. I don't think I've cleaned for the past 500 rnds