close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Can't get base plate off...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by rattlehead55, Dec 23, 2011.

1. rattlehead55

rattlehead55

Just picked up my new gen3 26 today and was trying to install the gap floor plates and the insert went behind the spring or something. They will not budge, i have taken base plates of other mags but this has never happen.

2. GaryC

GaryC

3. malleable

malleable

It can be extremely frustrating!

4. SCC

SCC Member Me

the new mag will be hard at first ..

5. DannyII

DannyII

The first time taking the mag plates off is tough. Using the Glock punch, fully insert it in the hole. Use it as a handle to slide the plate off in the direction of away from the Glock logo. Try to squeeze the sides a little while prying. It'll go.

6. rattlehead55

rattlehead55

Yeah the insert is jammed some were in both mags so i can't push it :crying:

7. GaryC

GaryC

Yeah on new ones I usually pinch the sides of the mag tube together at the bottom the first time. After that they aren't much of a problem. Interestingly enough, the 45 mags are a lot easier than the 9mm mags. Not sure about the mags for the other calibers since I only have 9mm and 45ACP.

8. bentbiker

bentbiker

As long as the nub on the insert is no longer sticking through the hole in the base plate, it is not blocking anything. The old 10-rd mags would only move 1/4" into the tube and that made it difficult to squeeze the sides of the tube. Some, if not all, of the new 10-rounders allow the insert to turn and push all the way into the tubes, like all the hi-cap mags always have. The first time can be a bear. You might use a clamp to squeeze the sides of the tube right above the base plate, and/or, I've seen a guy just hold the tube and put all his weight on one corner against a smooth concrete floor. Ignore all the idiots soon to follow who will tell you there is nothing to it -- that you are just weak.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  9. samurairabbi

samurairabbi Dungeon Schmuck

The off-kilter insert is not a problem; it is the first step in getting the baseplate off.

Push the punch in the hole as far as it will go. Then, lever the handle forward with so much force you think you will break something. Don't worry, you won't break anything. The baseplate will eventually move forward, and you will be able to get behind it to lever it off.

10. Dave.1

Dave.1

There's a link to a video in post #7 here.
    http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310946

There really is no way around the fact that the subcompact magazines are hard to squeeze where the stubs are. I use a clamp that has pads on it for my G26 magazines, like bentbiker suggests.

Dave

11. Grey Goblin

Grey Goblin

The hardest part of a Glock to disassemble, especially on the sub-compact mags. Got to squeeze them hard on the sides of the mag. It's not necessary, however, it's enough of a problem that someone has even come up with a tool for the job, http://www.mygtul.com/.

12. jw38

jw38

Pair of vice grips with a cloth to hold the magazine. A long round style screw driver to go thru the mag. base hole - gives you plenty of leverage room. Don't be easy - let the thing know who's boss. Next time it will cooperate better.

13. Serafino

Serafino

When you stick the tool in all the way you are not only pushing the inner plate down but you are also putting the tool where it will catch against something inside and give you the leverage to make this work. That's the most important part and makes applying enough force fairly straightforward.

14. Ahmid

Ahmid CLM

I did it once to install my new Gap floor plates. I will NEVER do it again.

:faint:

15. Quentin

Quentin

I have 63 year old hands and can do it fairly easily. It is tough the first time but once you figure it out it's no big deal. Just get the insert pushed down 1-1/2 inch and squeeze the sides as you push off the end cap. It will come out, probably spring and insert flying across the room. :rofl:

16. astroboy

astroboy JDM Aficionado

YEAH!!! I got a brand new G19 as well, tried to take
    the magazine base plate out yesterday. Went through
    different youtube videos on how to do it. The only thing
    I was able to do was mar the base plate.

:steamed:

17. pipedreams

pipedreams Member

This is your answer and watch the video Randy posted. Inserting the tool or a punch all the way as Serafino stated is important. Not a lot of pressure is required on the sides and once it slides forward a short distance you can release the sides.

18. robhic

robhic WOLVERINE!!!! Platinum Member

19. Skipper Bob

Skipper Bob

I used a small " C " clamp to squeeze the sides in. I found almost impossable to do it any other way.

20. cheapshot

cheapshot

The g-tul helped me a BUNCH!