close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Can't eliminate virtumonde virus

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Dragline, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Dragline

Dragline

Nov 5, 2003
    Coastal SC
    My wife's notebook computer got a dose of the virtumonde virus or trojan.

Spybot was able to find and eliminate most of it. But two files still remain (see pic) and I don't seem to be able to delete them.

Spybot finds them every time and indicates they have been deleted but they keep coming back.
    I went into regedit, found them, and attempted to delete them manually from there. Deletion apppears successful at first, but these two files reinstall themselves within minutes.

Any ideas of how they could be permanently deleted?

[​IMG]

This may produce a larger view of the pic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/pal531/Sale Items/Viruspic01.jpg

2. Back up all documents/settings on the laptop to an external disk drive, format and reinstall the operating system, applications and finally the data.

3. srhoades

srhoades

Jul 14, 2000

Or you could acutally fix the problem. Download malwarebytes from malwarebytes.org. Install it, if the updater fails during the install just run it again from the actual program.

4. Delete the registry keys with regedit and run the Microsoft malicious software removal tool or malwarebytes.org software.

5. Dragline

Dragline

Nov 5, 2003
    Coastal SC
  6. Neo31rex31

Neo31rex31

Dec 23, 2008
    I had this on my PC before, got rid of it with "Hijack this" (if i remember correctly there were actually 6 registry keys associated with this) there is also fix you can download from www.majorgeeks.com

7. Dragline

Dragline

Nov 5, 2003
    Coastal SC
    Well malwarebytes seemed to have worked!!
    It found a bunch of stuff that spybot did not find, and those values found in my regedit search seem to be gone as well.
    Hopefully this takes care of it for good.

Thanks so much for the info and the recommendation of this tool!