Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Can't decide on my new CCW

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by JEREMY18, Feb 8, 2013.

1. JEREMY18

May 17, 2011
    I have been carrying a 26 for a couple of years now. I like my 26 just want something with more power. I have looked at the 27, 33 and 39 but have never shot a 357 Sig or 45 GAP before. Plus I think I can still use my 26 holsters with the 27, 33 and 39. Also thought about the 30S or a 357 mag revolver. I'm a smaller guy too so can't get nothing real big.
  2. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

May 1, 2010
    Las Vegas
    What is wrong with 10+1 rounds of 9mm? If you shoot the 26 well, there is no need for something with "more power" if you are worried about humans, as long as you are using decent self defense cartridges. Now, if you just want variety, take a look at a different brand or type of gun. A small .38 J Frame, a Sig P239(available in 9mm, .40 or .357sig), an H&K P2000K, or one of any number of other guns.

3. Beanie-Bean

Apr 23, 2011
    Central Texas
    I have all of the Glock subcompacts (except the G29, which I am still waiting for my order to arrive...) in my CCW rotation. The G39 will not fit the holsters I use for 26/27/33 because of the slide thickness. It fits in the holster for the G30SF I have.

I also have other manufacturers' handguns in my rotation as well. Variety is the spice of life, I suppose.

Good luck on your search for a new carry piece!
  4. vinniej123

Feb 21, 2006
    Lewisburg, OH
    My wife has a 27, and I have a 23. I carry both from time to time and love to shoot them both. .357 can get a little pricy depending where you are, so that would be my reason to avoid it. Gap in my area is harder to find as well. Just things to consider.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
  5. MLittle

Jun 24, 2010
    You could step up in size to a 45acp pistol.......say a Glock30sf. Sure, it's thicker and heavier, but with 10+1 capacity there's plenty of firepower.
  6. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    I would really like the GAP if it was more available in my area. No local shop that I am aware carries ammo for it anymore, or even carries the guns chambered for it.
  7. After some more thought I've changed my reply. I don't have a problem carrying any size pistol but if you can conceal your 26 and just want a larger caliber a G-36 or G-27 would do. tom.:dunno:
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  8. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    I am unconvinced that there is enough difference between the actual performance of a 9mm and a .40 to justify spending that kind of money. A .357 revolver is a step up in power and might have uses beyond just self defense from criminals.
  9. ctfireman

Feb 13, 2010
    Bridgeport, CT
    I used to feel the same way. I've since changed my mind to capacity over bullet diameter.
  10. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

Nov 7, 2001
    Consider the S&W M21 revolver with 4" bbl.

It speaks with .44 authority.
  11. 26 is a pretty good gun, so it will be interesting to see what the OP gets to replace it :)

I joined the NRA, have you yet?
  12. jdeere_man

jdeere_man CLM

Feb 25, 2007
    NW Missouri
    I'm quite content with my G26. I have some other 9mm guns I carry and a 357mag j-frame, but you loose a lot of capacity there.

IMO, without starting a caliber war, I don't think it's worth the change to a different platform, at least it wouldn't be to me. I think the difference in effectiveness is trivial between those calibers and ultimately shot placement is key. If you were going from a 32ACP to something else that would be different. If you really want to change I sure wouldn't try to convince you otherwise or say it was a wrong move, because I don't necessarily thing it is a wrong move, I just don't think you gain enough to justify it. Unless of course it means you get to own extra guns, which I'm always game for :)

I don't like the 40 or the 357sig because they are so snappy rounds, especially in a sub compact.

If I was switching to a different glock sub compact I'd go with the G39, probably because I have one.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  13. hogship

hogship It's MY Island

Get yourself a nice 357 revolver.........and use that G26 for carry.

You'll thank me later! :supergrin:

14. damnyankee20

Jan 21, 2012
    9mm has stopped many, many Evildoers and its a great cartridge.

I have 10mm and I'm not a big guy either (barely 5'10"). I carry a G20 with a Galco Concealable holster comfortably under button up shirts (not tucked in) or baggy sweat shirts with jeans. Ya can't tell I'm carrying.

So, let cartridge size or gun size deter you from carrying. There are a sea of great holsters out there to help you hide whatever size sidearm you want to carry. If you like your 9mm, then stay with it because odds are, you'll likely never put yourself in a situation where you'll need to unholster it.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  15. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

May 27, 1999
    Oh, USA
    I might go to the Sig from a G26 in the same size frame or up to a G30. Would not give up a lot of capacity like a G36 though. Confidence means a lot, if you need the boost it may be worth it. So far for me the G26 is adequate and I have a 4" 1911 that lays right beside it, and I pick up the 26 every time. I didn't use to feel that way, but too many thugs are running in packs now.
  16. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    bit of a drive for you but a pawn shop/gun shop in my area has a full sized glock GAP thats been languishing in the case for a while...PM for the shop's number so you can call them if you want.
  17. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Southern Maryland
    With today's cartridge choices for 9mm, you will be well-served with that G26 for many years.

Gold Dot. . . . SXT. . . . HST.

Except for the fact that I just "had to have" the .40 Shield, I'd still be relying on my G26 stuffed full of Federal 124 gr HST.
    Awesome round!! Dead nuts reliable in my G26.

Save some $$$. Keep the G26!
  18. bwvan

Dec 30, 2011
    I carry a 36 with tritium at night, but I really am getting into shooting the G23.
  19. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

Jun 12, 2009
    I would never advise against getting more guns, but quite frankly, it doesn't get much better than the 26 for CCW
  20. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Dec 21, 2002
    I recently came by a G33 (357 SIG).

I have a G19 and G26. If it's a choice between the G26 and G33 I'll use the G33.
    I don't have anything against a good defense 9mm round but I've been impressed with the 357 SIG.

I wouldn't mind getting another gun or two in 357 SIG.