close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

CANNOT do ANY updates on XP

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by nickg, Jul 7, 2007.

1. nickg

nickg
    Expand Collapse

title says it all.

i cannot get XP to do ANY updates. it's showing me something like 78 (? ? ? ? ? ?) updates but won't install ANY of them.

i've tried different suggestions so far, reinstalling this and that, and yet no updates will install.

any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated because right now i'm totally stumped. :steamed: :steamed: :steamed:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.
    Expand Collapse

You can always manually download and install security updates and maybe a few others. If you reinstalled and it's Windows XP without SP1 or SP2 I think autmatic updates no longer works. You first need to download and manually install SP1. Then automatic updates should work.

3. Blitzer

Blitzer
    Expand Collapse
    Cool Cat

Next time tell us what you have installed, Firewall, Spam filter, Antiviral software, Anti-Malware etc before asking a question, it helps us.

Active X, Scrips and pop ups need to be enabled.

I find many Windows XP installs from Gateway and Dell have filters set to stop these actions, dumb not to allow Microsoft's web sites access by default.

Check to see if the Microsoft update web site is in your web browser's safe list and firewall add-on if you have one. And you need to use Microsoft's Internet Explorer as anything else will fail, Firefox, Netscape, etc.

4. chbix

chbix
    Expand Collapse

If you got to the point where it installs the "validation" thing, and it flags your xp as a pirate copy, it wont allow you to dl anything other than security fixes.

5. nickg

nickg
    Expand Collapse

never had any problems before until i put my hard drive with XP (w/SP2) on my new system. so really everything is still the same as far as firewalls, anti-virus, spyware programs, etc. NONE of that has changed. THOUGH i did do a "recovery" install on my HD when i put it on the new build. but authentication and validation of Windows worked with no problem. so that's why i'm stumped.

i can't think of anything in regards to the new BIOS, or drivers for new add-ons that would cause a conflict with Windows updating.

i even downloaded and reinstalled Windows Installer, and it said that is was working, but yet won't allow updates.

:upeyes:

6. Glock Bob

Glock Bob
    Expand Collapse
    Snack Attack!!!

This may be a crazy question, but when was the last time you rebooted?

7. nickg

nickg
    Expand Collapse

no problem with rebooting.

i just ran "sfc/scannow" from a command prompt. it asked for XP disc and checked "Windows File Protection" to check that all files are intact and original, with no problems there.

i've even read of some conflicts with Nero programs, so i uninstalled those just as a "process of elimination" to no avail.

8. chbix

chbix
    Expand Collapse

so is it working now or ???

Anyway my next though was that the problem may be that you installed it in a new comp. Cause all of the components are different its considered a new system, maybe you have an OEM version that doesnt like what you did.....

Im not sure just trying to throw out ides. You have you tried to do a fresh install? it sounded like you didnt want to do that, but at this point it may be the only option.

9. nickg

nickg
    Expand Collapse

jeez....i just did a reinstall of Service Pack 2. of course THAT didn't solve the problem either.

i am totally lost now and have NO idea where to go from here!

10. Philipp2

Philipp2
    Expand Collapse

I had a similar situation with W2000 Pro and it came down to the only choice was to wipe the HD clean, install the OS, install all updates, then start putting all of the software and data back on. It wasn't worth it, so I never found out if that would have worked.:upeyes:

11. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim
    Expand Collapse
    Señor Member
    CLM

If you don't already have it, install Firefox. Then get your updates from Windiz Update.

Their claim is that they've set this site up for people who can't or don't want to use IE but it also just happens to make it possible for folks running bootleg XP to get their Microsloth updates.

12. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

:supergrin: ;)

Sorry I have nothing helpful to add, but the irony of this struck me as mildly humorous.. :)

Hope you figure it out and get back to normal!

IGF

13. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.
    Expand Collapse

14. nickg

nickg
    Expand Collapse

yeah, yeah, yeah.....throw the Linux thing back in my face again. :supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin:

with that being said....i knew i was having some HD problems somewhere, found out what the problem was, and did a total clean format of the drive and then a clean install of XP.

everything seems to be running fine now and the updates downloaded and installed. the new system is pretty clean now with the new XP install.

and since XP (32-bit) won't read anymore than 3 GB of ram, i took the 4th stick out and am just running 3 GB and it's working fine.

which brings the question.......any advantage of running 64-bit at this time, or are drivers and hardware issues still there?

at least i am setup for future use should 64-bit programs become the norm.

15. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.
    Expand Collapse

64 bit Windows XP still has some driver issues and some software issues. You might do better with the 4 sticks of RAM as then they will run in dual channel mode. With an odd number of RAM sticks you give up the dual channel bandwidth.

16. elderboy02

elderboy02
    Expand Collapse
    Cincy Glocker

My co-worker had the same problem. He did a google search on it. It happened when we upgraded xp from home to pro. He had to enable some sort of ole object.

17. nickg

nickg
    Expand Collapse

but i thought that the fact is 32-bit XP won't even read anything above 3GB, no matter what processor, etc., you may be running. supposedly it's a moot point with the four sticks.

even when i had the 4 GB in, XP only stated that 3 was present, of course though the BIOS did show all 4.

18. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.
    Expand Collapse

The BIOS is what determines if the memory is running in dual channel mode.

19. nickg

nickg
    Expand Collapse

DC -- would i benefit then from adding the 4th stick again taking it back up to 4GB since the BIOS reads it fine? or would i be on the treadmill running that much ram with XP?

20. nickg

nickg
    Expand Collapse

so i guess with dual channel processing you get two pipelines to the processor from the ram instead of one, thus your ram would work more efficiently, even with the limitations of the 3GB/XP situation, would that be correct?