close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Canadians pay more in taxes than for necessities

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Vic777, May 4, 2012.

1. My oldest brother is canadian. He pays half of his paycheck in taxes. How else is the Gov. be able to afford to give free pot, coke and heroin to the poor drug addict "victims"?:steamed:

2. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    Explain why this is a problem? The Canadian economy is in much better shape that the U.S. economy... even though it is not run according to the precepts of trickle down. You know.

3. Vic777

Vic777

Jan 23, 2006
    Do you work for the Government? Or perhaps you teach school?

Actually Canadians were temporarily saved by Obama .... they saw what America did and elected Harper.

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  4. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    Work for the "gobment?" Perish the thought. Teach school? No. Why should any of the foregoing matter? Would it be any different if one were a policeman, fireman, soldier, street worker? Govt. employes are after all, govt. employes. Are do you have an Orwellian world view, i.e., some pigs are more equal that other pigs. You know.

Now, why not answer the question that was asked? I.e., "Explain why this is a problem? The Canadian economy is in much better shape that the U.S. economy... even though it is not run according to the precepts of trickle down. You know"

Please respond with something other than talking points, emotion, etc. But do explain why a more broadly middle class economy is less to be preferred than a the current situation in the U.S. where the middle class is shrinking while the "top" gets richer and everyone else gets poorer. Seems a govt. should be so structured to best benefit the broadest majority of its citizens and not simply benefit the few who can buy representation.

5. Vic777

Vic777

Jan 23, 2006
    I did answer, I told you Canadians got terrified with what they saw happening in the USA and elected Harper.

6. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn

Mar 23, 2010
    Texas
    For starters they allow exploration of oil resources unlike the US, tag that with the fact that their deficit is only about 50-60 billion as opposed to almost 2 trillion.
    Those are just a couple of things I can think of off the top of my head.
    I find it interesting that you don't find paying more in taxes than basic necessities a problem. But that is your MO though.

7. aircarver

aircarver Ride Continues Silver Member

Hey, taxes are great..... as long as someone else pays them ..... :upeyes:

8. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

Oct 7, 2000
    Bend Oregon

ouch

....and despite the goofy rumors they are quite happy with their healthcare system

9. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn

Mar 23, 2010
    Texas
    Yeah, not really. But you keep pushing that idea.
    I find it interesting that someone who supposedly fought for our freedoms in the military, assuming based on your avatar, is so willing to accept a loss of those freedoms. :dunno:

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  10. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    You have an opinion. Cool. Everyone does, just like noses. But, facts are hard things. And you do not seem to be able to deal with hard facts, just opinions.

11. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    So... given that the Canadians have greater regulation of business, even oil and gas exploration, you are saying that the U.S. needs to adopt the Canadian model so that we can have increased exploration?

As to the deficit, given that the Canadian model is not trickle down let the rich get richer and the devil take the hindmost but rather a more "managed" economy, it would appear that the U.S. would be better off with higher taxes on high income earners, etc.?

Not concerned about paying more in taxes that necessities? No. I am not impresses with agenda driven statements. For the record one does not see the equivalent of tea party protesters or occupy protesters in the streets of Canada. Recon why?

12. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    The only ones who complain are those who can't use it to get boutique medical care.

The main reason I oppose the squatter's program is that I want him and his regime to fail.

13. Gunhaver

Gunhaver the wrong hands

Jan 24, 2012
    This is true. I have 3 Canadian friends and I've asked them all about it. They have no complaints at all and 2 of them run their own businesses.

But Fox News begs to differ so it can't be true, right?

14. podwich

podwich

Sep 7, 2000
    MI
    Non sequitur. The issue is Canadians being taxed a rather large (and increasing) portion of their income. You bring up a bit of economic theory. You might as well comment on the doneness of a steak.

15. callihan_44

callihan_44 INFIDEL

Aug 19, 2010
    Flyover,USA
    The median wait time in Canada is nearly double the wait time that physicians consider clinically reasonable. This is why you see canadians that can afford it slipping over the border to get care here.....It aint perfect in canada folks...

16. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

Oct 7, 2000
    Bend Oregon

Fox News is a wonderful thing!

17. walt cowan

walt cowan

Feb 18, 2005
    Absurdistan
    when you add up fed, state, county, city, sales taxes, property taxes, fuel taxes and other such nonsense...your well above the 50% mark. you'll never get anything back unless your the 50% who don't pay anything.

18. callihan_44

callihan_44 INFIDEL

Aug 19, 2010
    Flyover,USA
    oh so your trying to imply it's a lie? Do you have proof they get instant care then? Because this> http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-204_162-681801.html
    says otherwise...is cbs truthful enough for you?

19. pugman

pugman

May 16, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I think you have a very skewed view of the "top" and what exactly is the top defined as..1%...10%.

As I told my wife, the "top" 50% of wage earners in the U.S make a staggering $33,058 a year per the IRS D-base. That's right folks - stock shelves at Target and work a pt bartending gig a few nights a week and you are in the richest 50%.

For the record, the top 1% earn about $334K a year and the top 10% $133K.

Why is this a problem from a middle classer such as myself - simple. The U.S will squeeze as much as it can from whomever it can until it can't take any more...then it will move on to the next group of people.

In reality, governments should work to take less and less from people. I realize and understand they need money to provide some services - but when you look at the fraud, waste and abuse the government allows its amazing. Want a perfect example?

Two years ago my local school district pushed through a $38 million dollar school referendum to upgrade the local middle school...they got the money.

I just received a mailer asking if I would support another $18 million dollar referendum to allow them to BUILD a brand new middle school?

Why would you ask for $38 million to upgrade a property you want to replace two years later???

The old property then would be used as a community center? News Flash: my small town has a population of about 5,000 which doubles to 10,000 in the summer when people come and live in the 8 or so trailer parks around the lake. Then you have the additional maintenance cost which is something governments never understand. Point in fact: A fence along the U.S border so many seem to want. I agree something needs to be done about illegals but putting up a $10 billion fence will cost how much annually to maintain, repair, and monitor?

Why does a town of 5,000 people need a $40 million dollar community center? I would rather have my $16,000 back (8K for me and my wife) which I know I would put to better use.

Or how about this: introduce my MIL.

A 58 year old 2+ pack a day smoker who is now on permanent disablility because of her own personal actions (aka smoking) which caused her to develop COPD.

She receives disability, food stamps, heat assistance, medicaid, px assistance, travel vouchers and discounted rent. Believe it or not she has free cable.

She pays $276 a month from her disability check towards rent - otherwise pretty much everything else is free to her....and the other shoe.

She continues to smoke albeit now only 1.5 packs a day because cigerettes are getting so expensive. By her own account she spends $350/month towards cigerettes.

Last edited: May 6, 2012