Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Can you still carry revolvers?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by HotRoderX, Sep 1, 2011.

1. HotRoderX

HotRoderX Gen4 BETATester

Jan 15, 2011
    I am wondering do any police agency still allow or issue revolvers for carry? I dont mean just J-Frames as a bug. I am thinking something more like a 686 and the like.
  2. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

I am with a fed agency. No personal firearms currently.

3. FM12

FM12 I need AMMO!

Jun 17, 2007
    I sometimes wear a S&W 629 4" bbl in 44 mag or a Dan Wesson in 357. Just depends on my mood. Usually a Sig 226 in 40 S&W for the firepower and ease of reloading.
  4. SAR

Apr 17, 2004
    LA LA Land
    I was issued a revolver and yes, if I want to carry it, I can. I usually carry a Glock though. Only people hired before 1989 or so get to carry revolvers still.
  5. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    If I wanted to, and qualified on it, yes. I qualified on my 686 a couple times, but never actually carried it.
  6. Glocker1984

Jan 13, 2007
    Nope. Must be a semi-automatic firearm chambered in 9mm, .40S&W, or .45ACP. Glock, SIG, Ruger, 1911, XD, etc. etc. doesn't matter the make. :wavey:
  7. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Dec 18, 2004
    San AntonioTexas
    If I qualify with it, I can carry one as a BUG.
  8. ashtxsniper

ashtxsniper TX Open Carrier

Feb 4, 2007
    Illegalvile Texas
    I have qualified with a 686 and can carry it if I choose. I have carried a Glock 22 my whole career but I have on occasion carried a Ruger SP101 as a BU. I will be getting a 340PD soon as a third BU gun.
  9. efman

May 22, 2005
    I have never seen another deputy carrying a revolver as there primary duty weapon, the day I see it I plan on shaking that man's hand. I love seeing some old school gear still being used every once in a while, I would give anything to be able to carry a pr-24.

Sep 29, 2005
    We still have some old school types on the street with wheel guns.... The ruls is if you were originally trained on it and carried it prior to the Dept. switching to semi-autos you can still carry it. Anyone that was hired after the switch is not allowed to carry a revolver as a primary duty weapon.

So honestly only the few real cops (you know the guys from back in the day that were actually allowed to do what needed to be done, without this PC garbage, and could arrest bad guys without being fired for the suspect getting a lil boo boo from a 3D cell flashlight to the head) that are left around here can carry one.
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  11. Yes, personally owned for off duty and BUG use. Mainly .38 Special, but we have a few in .357, .44 special and .45 LC..:supergrin:...We may start seeing some of the newer revolvers chambered in 9mm and .45 ACP....Semi auto duty weapon is issued and must be carried. We have quite a few, including myself, that were weaned on revolvers and still love'em.....They definitely fill a niche.....:wavey:
  12. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    We still have some people who carry a revolver, usually an issued M64 or Security Six.
  13. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    I'd have to carry it for atleast a week or two.

No personal firearms as a primary in uniform. We are required to carry our issued P226's in .40

Its a shame, I would really love to carry my P220 in .45, I do not shoot .40 guns very well.

Detectives and Admin can carry an "approved" gun in .380 or larger. Most carry either the issued Sig or a G23.
  14. CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    Our duty firearm policy is pretty open but nowhere in it is the word "revolver."

That word only shows up in the "secondary firearms" policy and in the off duty policy. Both must be concealed so unless you are going to draw a .357 from under a jacket in the warm CA sun it ain't going to happen here.

San Jose PD still have a few people carrying revolvers. They are either the oldest crustiest people to walk the earth or they are admin pogues who throw on an ill fitting uniform for the day.
  15. nitesite10mm

nitesite10mm Dog Lover

Jun 9, 2006
    North Alabama
    Either I have or am in the process of renewing annual certification for a 2" 442, 4" 686, and (wait for it).... a 4" N-Frame 28-2 Highway Patrolman that was manufactured in 1975. None of them will see duty carry on patrol, but maybe once or thrice this year each will hopefully see court duty. :)

The Model 28 is a beast but is oh, so smooth to shoot with Remington R357M1s. I can shoot it rapid fire faster than a Glock 22 and keep them tight.

I hope that some, a few of you at least, will know what I'm talking about. Used to be it was sorta hanging on to old school. Now it's like an honor and a priveledge to carry a wheelgun as a rememberance to those earlier days in law enforcement.

The Highway Patrolman

The holster (back when it was new)

But to answer your original question our policy states that we will carry on duty one of the following: .38-Special, .357 Magnum, 9mm, .40 S&W or .45Auto and it be department approved.
  16. ...:wow:.....She's a BEAUT!!!!!!!!!!!
  17. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    I qualified on it for two or three years in a row, but just never got around to buying duty leather for it. It's an older model with the square butt and big wood grips...beautiful gun. I've had a hankering for a 386 Nightguard for about eighteen months now, but it's just been too far down the list.

Maybe I'll carry it my last month or last few weeks with the agency, when that time comes.
  18. trdvet

Oct 2, 2004
    Revolvers are allowed if you can qualify with it and the range master approves.
  19. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

May 23, 2010
    Off duty or back up only with my PD.
  20. Snowman92D

Oct 6, 2001
    (Sigh...) A wheel man is a real man. :thumbsup: