Can you recommend a good AR-15 book?

Discussion in 'GATE AR-15 Forum' started by G23Gen4TX, Apr 5, 2011.

1. I'm looking for a good AR book. Something the is intermediate to advanced. What do you recommand?

Also, your thoughts on the Colt A2 carbine with 16" barrel. I want to buy one. I like the old style carry handle and iron sights.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Recommended Scopes For A New AR-15 Owner GATE AR-15 Forum Dec 14, 2010
    Recommend an AR-15 complete kit Black Rifle Forum Jan 2, 2010
    Can anyone recommend an Ar-15 armorer in DFW? Lone Star Glockers Nov 8, 2008
    Thoughts on traveling to Germany alone? Would I be crazy? Or do you highly recommend it? The Okie Corral Wednesday at 11:56 AM
    Need a recommendation for a lawn tractor The Okie Corral Jul 26, 2015

3. Constructor

Good book for what? Shooting? look at Magpul Dynamics videos.
    Green eyes and Black rifles.

4. Sorry, I meant a book for dissasembly and build up. To learn how an AR-15 works and what you car replace etc. Different models and some history.

5. I have all three of Walt Kuleck's AR-15 books. They are very good reading and have a lot of history.

6. Molon

I conducted an accuracy evaluation of the 16” Colt light-weight barrel found on the Colt AR-15 A2 Government Carbine (6520) from a distance of 100 yards with the results shown below. The Colt light-weight barrel has a barrel diameter of 0.625” at the gas block and approximately 0.57” forward of the gas block. The barrel profile has a slight taper underneath the handguards from the chamber to the gas block with an average diameter of approximately 0.64”. The stripped light-weight barrel weighs approximately 1 pound, 6 ounces.

The light-weight barrel is chrome lined, has a NATO chamber and a 1:7” twist. This barrel employs a carbine gas system and has M4 feedramps. This is the barrel traditionally found on the Colt model 6520 and now the Colt model 6720. This accuracy evaluation was performed with a LaRue Tactical free-float handguard installed.

Colt 6520

[​IMG]

Colt 6520 converted to a flat-top with a Colt M4 upper receiver

[​IMG]

Carbine gas system

[​IMG]

The barrel stamp.

[​IMG]

M4 feed ramps

[​IMG]

The stripped light-weight barrel weighs approximately 1 pound, 6 ounces.

[​IMG]

The test vehicle.

[​IMG]

Shooting was conducted from a concrete bench-rest using a Sinclair Windage Bench Rest in front and a Protektor bunny-ear bag under the stock. The ammunition used; match-grade hand-loads topped with Sierra 55 grain BlitzKings. Sighting was performed using a Leupold VAR-X III with a mirage shade. Magnification was set at 25X and the scope was adjusted to be parallax free at 100 yards. Wind conditions were monitored using a Wind probe.

Six 10-shot groups were fired in a row in a slow and steady manner. Those groups had extreme spreads of:

1.18”
    1.92”
    1.28”
    2.53”
    0.96”
    2.24”

for an average extreme spread of 1.69”. Using RSI Shooting Lab, I over-layed all six groups on each other to form a 60-shot composite group. The composite group had a mean radius of 0.56”.

[​IMG]

The smallest 10-shot group.

[​IMG]