Can you recommend a good AR-15 book?

Discussion in 'GATE AR-15 Forum' started by G23Gen4TX, Apr 5, 2011.

1. I'm looking for a good AR book. Something the is intermediate to advanced. What do you recommand?

Also, your thoughts on the Colt A2 carbine with 16" barrel. I want to buy one. I like the old style carry handle and iron sights.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    AR-15 A-2 Fixed Rear Sight -- Recommendations? GATE AR-15 Forum Aug 8, 2015
    Recommended Scopes For A New AR-15 Owner GATE AR-15 Forum Dec 14, 2010
    Recommend an AR-15 complete kit Black Rifle Forum Jan 2, 2010
    Can anyone recommend an Ar-15 armorer in DFW? Lone Star Glockers Nov 8, 2008
    Commander Recommends NO JAIL for Everyone's Favorite TRAITOR and COWARD...Bowe Bergdahl The Okie Corral Saturday at 11:16 PM

3. Constructor

Good book for what? Shooting? look at Magpul Dynamics videos.
    Green eyes and Black rifles.

4. Sorry, I meant a book for dissasembly and build up. To learn how an AR-15 works and what you car replace etc. Different models and some history.
  5. I have all three of Walt Kuleck's AR-15 books. They are very good reading and have a lot of history.
  6. Molon

I conducted an accuracy evaluation of the 16” Colt light-weight barrel found on the Colt AR-15 A2 Government Carbine (6520) from a distance of 100 yards with the results shown below. The Colt light-weight barrel has a barrel diameter of 0.625” at the gas block and approximately 0.57” forward of the gas block. The barrel profile has a slight taper underneath the handguards from the chamber to the gas block with an average diameter of approximately 0.64”. The stripped light-weight barrel weighs approximately 1 pound, 6 ounces.

The light-weight barrel is chrome lined, has a NATO chamber and a 1:7” twist. This barrel employs a carbine gas system and has M4 feedramps. This is the barrel traditionally found on the Colt model 6520 and now the Colt model 6720. This accuracy evaluation was performed with a LaRue Tactical free-float handguard installed.

Colt 6520

Colt 6520 converted to a flat-top with a Colt M4 upper receiver

Carbine gas system

The barrel stamp.

M4 feed ramps

The stripped light-weight barrel weighs approximately 1 pound, 6 ounces.

The test vehicle.

Shooting was conducted from a concrete bench-rest using a Sinclair Windage Bench Rest in front and a Protektor bunny-ear bag under the stock. The ammunition used; match-grade hand-loads topped with Sierra 55 grain BlitzKings. Sighting was performed using a Leupold VAR-X III with a mirage shade. Magnification was set at 25X and the scope was adjusted to be parallax free at 100 yards. Wind conditions were monitored using a Wind probe.

Six 10-shot groups were fired in a row in a slow and steady manner. Those groups had extreme spreads of:

for an average extreme spread of 1.69”. Using RSI Shooting Lab, I over-layed all six groups on each other to form a 60-shot composite group. The composite group had a mean radius of 0.56”.

The smallest 10-shot group.

7. I like M16A1 clones(non-NFA) and I have an original Colt Manual with the blue cover. Mine is the original 11"x7 manual. I also like the TM 9-1005-249-14. This a great manual to own as well as the Colt Shop Manual as they compliment each other as far as a detail stripping of the entire rifle and putting it back together. You can also get the Marine Corp Manual on the M16A2 as that shows their recommended torquing and replacement parts and their tools to use.
  8. Start w/ Patrick Sweeney's "AR" series of books, Volume 1-4. And he has also has 2 "Gunsmithing the AR15" books out as well. Gun Digest publishes them. Available thru any good Bookstore or online thru several sources. Very easy to read and very good info. Read thru all of them, and you will be quite informed and knowledgable of the AR platform.
    Recon Team Ohio likes this.