close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Can you recommend a "FREE" Virus Protection Progra

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by bearwitme, Dec 13, 2008.

1. bearwitme

bearwitme

May 13, 2008
    Looking for a "Free" Virus protection program. What have you used that you can recommend..Thanks

Connie :whistling:

2. Big Al 24

Big Al 24

Apr 23, 2008
    AVG, Avira, Avast, are the ones I have used. AVG free is pretty good, Avira works but it has an annoying pop-up once a day when it updates. Just try some out.

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Avg and Avast are my favs, with a slight edge to Avast.

IGF

4. Big Al 24

Big Al 24

Apr 23, 2008
    There's also Comodo internet security. They have a great firewall, and now they bundle it with a free virus scanner as well.

5. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Southern Maryland
    AVG (Free) is running on 3 desktop PCs and 4 laptop machines, here.

ZERO viruses.

PC-Cillin ($$$) is on two desktop PCs. ZERO viruses.

With any anti-virus, you should have a firewall (ZoneAlarm - Free) and anti-spyware (Ad-Aware or SpyBot - both Free).

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    I personally hate software firewalls. Always have, always will. In my opinion, everyone should be behind a properly configured hardware router/firewall, and just skip the software firewall... at least thats what I do.. :)

IGF

7. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

May 22, 2003
    North Carolina
    Been using AVG for several years and it works great. I am tempted to try Avast as well ;)

8. unit 900

unit 900

Sep 3, 2000
    Baltimore, Md
    Let me pass along something that happened to my laptop involving Avast.
    http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964782
    When I ran Auslogics disk defragmenter, a series of error files were written to the Avast log file. In short order, it filled up 32 gb, putting me at point where my drive was virtually full. It took some searching to find what was clogging things up and I ultimately uninstalled Avast and went back to AVG. YMMV

9. Bronson7

Bronson7

May 19, 2002
    Murray,Kentucky
    Avast. I tried AVG but was having a problem with the update feature. I had been using Avast for a long time with no problems. I've been using nix for about a year and a half 99% of the time but on the rare occasion I do need Windows, Avast has always worked well.
    Bronson7

10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    I've still got AVG on my Laptop XP partition, and its OK, but I notice it doesn't auto update anymore. I don't know if thats a feature of the the paid version now, or what. When I manually update it, it works fine.

IGF

11. justinsn95

justinsn95 Im in jail...

Yeah seriously dude get AVG. It automatically self updates, that way you stay current and have a better chance of catching the new viruses that come out. A lot of the other free antivirus/spyware programs don't do that.

12. Bronson7

Bronson7

May 19, 2002
    Murray,Kentucky
    Avast does the same. Good to go either way.
    Bronson7

13. burnd4life

burnd4life CLM

Oct 13, 2008
    Rodeo, Ca
    I run a paid program on my personal, but I add AVG when I'm routinely asked to "fix," friends and family's PCs

14. for windows:
    I don't run persistent anti-virus software. Ocassionally I'll do a check on pandasoftware.com or housecall.trendmicro.net.... But I haven't used windows in a long time.

for linux:
    I run chkrootkit and rkhunter on occasion.