close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Can you eat a Racoon?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by kerbie18, Oct 3, 2008.

1. kerbie18

kerbie18

Oct 22, 2001
    USA
    A neighborhood close to mine has a TON of racoons. I've seen ten of them eating out of the same dumpster.

The thought occured to me...are they edible? I mean, if you were starving to death, and you cooked the hell out of it. I really don't see it happening, but I was just curious....

2. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    From personal experience, yes. Not the tastiest, and cook the hell out of it, but yes.

3. Short Bus

Short Bus

Jan 11, 2008
    Western NC
    Hell, you can cut your boots up and eat them if you are hungry enough.

4. Porkchop

Porkchop Avtomat 1947

May 13, 2008
    Western N.C. Mountains
    :rofl: hope i never get that hungry.
    if i remember correctly revolutionary war and civil war soliders that had no food boiled the leather from their boots and ate them

5. Minuteman

Minuteman Jeff Gannon???

Yes, edible and a good source of fat in the wild if your starving.
    Much rather have elk, but obviously anyone looking at a coon as a meal doesn't have a choice.

6. kerbie18

kerbie18

Oct 22, 2001
    USA
    You can eat leather??? Okie dokie, I learned something new today:shocked:

7. Minuteman

Minuteman Jeff Gannon???

No. Modern leather is poisonous. Naturally tanned/dyed leather, OTOH, is basically really tough jerky.

8. Short Bus

Short Bus

Jan 11, 2008
    Western NC
    Yeah, people have done it in years past when they were REALLY hard up. It is just animal skin. Do you eat chicken skin with yo fried chicken? :cool:

9. Short Bus

Short Bus

Jan 11, 2008
    Western NC
    There are many companies that use the same tanning process that they have used for years. I guess it depends on where in China it came from or if it is from the USA.

10. filthy infidel

filthy infidel 100% Infidel

Apr 24, 2007
    North Carolina
  11. They will probably be the only thing left after the other wildlife is gone..........you'll never get them all.:faint:

12. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Jan 24, 2004
    First don't eat your leather products, odds are that they were not tanned by traditional means.

Second, I believe I ate coon before. If it was coon, it was fixed in a crockpot and was good.

13. thetoastmaster

thetoastmaster NOT a sheepdog!

Well, not really. Hide is a dense irregular connective tissue, if I remember correctly. Jerky is muscle. Muscle is a lot easier to digest than collagen, which is all you're getting out of hide.

I understand that one could digest it, given enough time and water, but jerky it ain't ;) :supergrin:.

14. packratt75

packratt75

Feb 7, 2007
    Colorado
    Have "The Official Louisiana Seafood & Wild Game Cookbook" that a relative gave to us. Has small game recipes for Opossum, Nutria, Muskrat, Frog Legs, Turtle, Rabbit, Squirrel and two for Racoon (roasted and fricasseed). Haven't tried any of them but at least have something to go on if need be.

15. R_W

R_W

Nov 8, 2007
    In a crockpot with cranberry sauce. Possum, too.

The stories from the old-timers here there were many families that only made it through the depression winters because of eating them (and anything else they could catch).

They said it was best to catch them live and put them in a barrel/cage with a little corn and plenty of clean water for a few days to clean them out. Definitely Hillbilly, way beyond redneck like I am used to...

16. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Jan 24, 2004
    I would like to have the ISBN number or amazon link.

I would also like to hear you test one of them and tell us if it is an ok cook book.

17. thetoastmaster

thetoastmaster NOT a sheepdog!

When I served my LDS mission in South Carolina, I knew an old timer that spent his youth in a CCC camp. He told us about "cleaning out" possums with cornbread before slaughtering them; so, that's one more corroborating story.

18. Grayson

Grayson

Jan 18, 2006
    Mmmm....melamine..nom nom nom!

NOT! :ack:

19. bdcochran

bdcochran

Sep 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    What do you get when you cross Eull Gibbons and Linda Lovelace?

drum roll please
    A person who will eat anything.:supergrin::rofl:

20. packratt75

packratt75

Feb 7, 2007
    Colorado
    On Amazon there is only one used one for $35, last printing was 1990. Wife says she has used it for seafood mostly, was going to try nutria when my cousin caught another one but it didn't work out. Would only try nutria if it came from the swamp where they eat vegetation and not from the city canals.