close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Can you build an AK-47 from parts like an AR-15?

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by JokerOne, Jan 13, 2011.

1. JokerOne

JokerOne

Dec 3, 2010
    Just wondering if its legally possible to build an AK-47 from scratch with US/other parts like you can with an AR-15. I know at some point with the AR building process you need to register it as a gun. Not sure all the details, but I guess what I was wondering if you could do the same with an AK?

Oh, I also mean from pre-made parts. I dont' want to make my own receiver with a drill press, etc.

2. tx787

tx787

Feb 11, 2010
    Yes the biggest issue is that you don't have companies putting out lots of quality build parts for the AK like you do for the AR. Also, you have to ensure 922r compliance.

3. voodoomanx

voodoomanx Large Member

Mar 9, 2007
    Maine
    theakforum.net is a huge group of AK lovers. Lots of info there.

4. rcbif

rcbif Lock "N" Load!

Dec 6, 2010
    NE OH
    The main difference is that AR's are assembled and AK's are built. Building an ak even with a complete receiver is much harder than assembling an AR.

5. MisterPX

MisterPX Guest

As long as you have the right tools for the job, I've found no difference myself.

6. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
    Yes, but the best way is to build from a de-mil'd parts kit. In these kits, the receiver is flame cut. The amount of work in building one is similar to an AR in that it depends on how much you want to buy complete vs. make yourself. For example, do you want to buy a complete receiver, make it from an 80%, or make it from scratch.

The parts kits are pretty expensive now and finding one with an original barrel is quite a challenge since the BATF rules changed requiring the barrel to be cut too. However you can find kits with a US made replacement barrel.

7. JokerOne

JokerOne

Dec 3, 2010

I would want to build my completely from a kit. So a complete receiver would be preferable. Is it possible to build one from US parts without too much expense so I don't break any 922 rules.

thanks

8. CarlosC

CarlosC AK Fanatic

Jan 4, 2000
    DFW area, TX
    Just a couple of things to point out....

The point at which the AK becomes a "gun" is already predetermined, just as with an AR-15. The actual gun is the receiver because it is the main serial numbered part. When you buy a stripped AK or AR receiver, you do the paperwork on the receiver. Everything else you can buy directly through the Internet, if you wish, without any sort of registration paperwork.

As for 922r, that law simply states the AK can't have more than 10 parts (from the list the BATFE says make up a total AK) that are foreign. You don't have to build an AK from 100% US parts.

9. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
    The gentlemen in the previous post (Carlos) is probably the MOST knowledgable individual on AKs here. I believe he has already addressed part of your questions.

WRT buying a 100% receiver...you can buy them from a variety of sources. Here's one source
    http://www.nodakspud.com/page2.htm

However it appears that you're looking for a complete AK kit that you get everything required to build an AK. I am not aware of any complete AK kits out there. Doesn't mean they don't exist...just I haven't seen them.

10. Yes if you have the tools...so while you CAN do it its not as easy/simple as building a AR. By the time you invested in the tools and such you could probably buy one cheaper..

11. CarlosC

CarlosC AK Fanatic

Jan 4, 2000
    DFW area, TX
    JokerOne, I get the feeling you may be trying to apply AR building to an AK. The AK and AR are just two vastly different animals when it comes to builds. The methodology to build each is vastly different as are the starting points. They share nothing in common when it comes to assembly.

Really, to build an AR from scratch, all you really need are some common hand tools, a barrel wrench, torque wrench, and a receiver clamp.

In the case of a simple, stamped AK, you could start out anywhere from a flat that will need a press, special tools to bend the receiver correctly, and welding equipment, to a ready receiver (bent, guides welded in place, and heat treated). From there, you'll still need a rivet tool, jig for the trigger guard rivets, press, and steel or iron scrap to hold the receiver while the barrel is being pressed in. Finally, while most ARs are ready to go after being built, AKs usually require having the receiver finished.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  12. Aurora

Aurora

Jul 29, 2003
    This is pretty much the way things are now for someone entering the hobby from scratch.

I generally only look for completed rifles these days,..... and be very picky what you buy and who your buy from. There are a lot of unqualified people cranking things out these days. Even established builders have built some bad examples in the last couple of years.

V.

13. JokerOne

JokerOne

Dec 3, 2010
    can you recommend a vendor for a good ak?

thanks

14. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
  15. Nicoroshi

Nicoroshi Avid Shooter

Nov 14, 2008
    The liberal playground
    Don't know where you're at but around here people host build parties where all the tools needed along with some knowledgeable builders will be present for your use for about $40. This includes blast cabinets, and park tanks for finishing the completed rifle at the build party.
    Might wish to see if that kind of thing happens in your area if you'd like to build one.
    numbers matching Romanian 'G' kits with original barrels are still available at 'what a country', and gunthings.
    These kits have chrome lined bores, and are in excellent condition. I helped a friend build his first yesterday.
    Test fired today with '0' issues. :)

16. JokerOne

JokerOne

Dec 3, 2010
    Build Parties. I love it! :cool:

Well, the women get baby showers. We need something too. :supergrin:

I'm going with an interarms AK from Atlantic arms. I think its just about what I want, and a good price.

thanks to all who helped.

17. JokerOne

JokerOne

Dec 3, 2010
  18. Angry Fist

Angry Fist The Original® Lifetime Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hellbilly Hill
  19. Nicoroshi

Nicoroshi Avid Shooter

Nov 14, 2008
    The liberal playground
    Interesting......Although I have a question.
    How does one adjust for windage or elevation with a solid front sight post like that?
    Might look cool but epic fail in the functional department IMHO.