Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Can someone tell me honestly, what does it feel like to carry concealed?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Gpruitt54, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Gpruitt54

Jul 18, 2012
    Can someone tell me honestly, what does it feel like to carry concealed? Itseems like one night be nervous about carrying. Are there issues and rulesabout printing of your carry weapon? I am in the process if getting a Utah non-resident CCWpermit.
  2. RJ's Guns

RJ's Guns

Dec 25, 2010

It feels reassuring and normal.

3. Gpruitt54

Jul 18, 2012
    Yeah, with all the nuts and bangers on the streets now days, reassurance sounds very... very good. That is the same answer my cop buddies all say. But they are officers and carry every day for their jobs.

Thanks for your reply. Are there issues/rules about the weapon showing through and/or under your clothing???
  4. DesertEagle

DesertEagle OH HELL MY HEAD CLM

May 31, 2001
    Rome Ga
    It varies from state to state. Since you didn't specify and only said you are getting a utah non-res permit, we wouldn't be able to do more than tell you to refer to your state/city/local laws and ordinances and whatnot (Which really, you should do anyway.). Some states you can open carry for example, but some of the cities/localities have ordinances against it.

In the meantime, if you wanted to pursue that thread, you might want to start a new one, instead of taking this one on a different tack than it was started. Many see it as a bit unsociable to "hijack" a thread and divert it to a new topic not really related to the beginning one.

5. RJ's Guns

RJ's Guns

Dec 25, 2010

Re “Are there issues/rules about the weapon showing through and/or under your clothing?” It depends on the rules in your jurisdiction; there is no universal answer to that question. I would suggest that you check your local rules. I dress to accommodate whatever handgun I intend to carry. The bigger the handgun (unless I am wearing a jacket) the looser and more baggy my shirt.

I thought some more about your statement that; “one might be nervous about carrying.” I do not know your particular situation; but you may need some more practice and formal training with the handgun that you intend to carry. As a general rule the more that you are trained and experience with handguns, the less nervous you are.

In addition, the make and model of handgun may make you more nervous than another make and model. I know that it is sacrilegious to say this on this forum, but because of the design of the trigger mechanism, I do not recommend a Glock to someone inexperienced in carrying a handgun. I suggest a double action auto-loader or revolver to such individuals. I would point out that you can get a H&K P30s that is double action and also has a ambidextrous safety lever mounted on both sides of the frame. That is a double safe design.
  6. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    The more one carries, the less anxious about carrying one generally becomes.
    Even if considerable printing or a gun showing through a translucent garment is not illegal, it is probably in poor taste in more than a few situations, and may attract far more attention than one wants or likes.
    A significant number of people end up with a Glock as their first and often only handgun and have no issues carryng it. When traditional double action pistols were the standard most places that had a policy that indicated the gun would be carried with the safety in the off position.
  7. Just feels normal when I carry, feels damn strange when I'm not.
  8. simotek

Jul 29, 2012
    DC Area
    It feels totally normal.
  9. debbert

Apr 20, 2011
    North Perry, OH
    Normal, yet liberating.
  10. CA Escapee

CA Escapee Finally!

Feb 15, 2012
    I took the NRA Personal Protection class as part of the requirement for a Colorado permit. One segment of the class dealt with Colorado laws. I specifically asked the Boulder County Deputy that taught the legal segment about printing in public. He said when their dispatchers get a call for a person carrying a gun the dispatcher will ask detailed questions of the caller. "Can you see the gun, is it covered up, is it in a holster, is the person waving it around, is it a robbery, etc." Once the dispatcher determines what's going on they will either educate the caller as to what the laws are, or send units. They don't want to waste their resources sending units all over the county for no reason at all. That's in Boulder County, CO. There is no law in Colorado against printing. Where you are WILL make a difference; it's impossible to predict what may happen in the future.

Part of the Personal Protection class discussed being aware of your surroundings. Keep your head up, look around, be aware of who's around you and what's going on around you, don't walk down a darkened alley at night just because you're carrying.

You have to dress around the gun. Plan on buying new clothes to conceal your firearm. If you carry IWB you may need larger pants to be able to stuff all that metal, plastic, or leather in your wasteband. (You are carrying a Glock, aren't you?) Get a real gun belt if you're going to carry IWB or OWB, it makes a difference. You may need larger or fuller cut shirts to carry concealed. Get a good holster that holds the gun securely.

Know the state laws where you'll be carrying. It sounds like you're not a resident of Utah, hence the non-resident Utah permit. Here's a tip, don't carry concealed in Colorado with that non-resident Utah permit. Colorado only recognizes a permit if it is issued to you by the state where you live.

You may be nervous at first, but you'll become more confident.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  11. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Dec 28, 2000
    First time it feels like you have a red blinking neon sign "MAN WITH GUN" on your forehead.

After a few times you realize you could have a 12 Ga strapped under your arm with no cover garment and not even 10% of the people would notice.

How does it feel to have a spare tire in your car?
    How does it feel to have a fire extinguisher in your kitchen?
    Doesn't feel like anything, they just are there if you need them.
  12. With everyone carrying an iPhone/Android on their belt these days, less folk even notice the bulges unless you are wearing a thin and tight shirt. Dark clothes show less than light.

Also, like others said, the more you carry, the more at ease you are. Get a good belt and holster for sure. Start wearing around the house at first.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
  13. robhic

robhic WOLVERINE!!!! Platinum Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Yes. The simple answer is DO NOT LET YOU WEAPON SHOW. The statement "concealed means concealed" is applicable. Unless you open carry. But otherwise, there is a reason it is called concealed carry ....
  14. X-Aggie95

May 5, 2012
    As a CC newbie it was strange carrying the first time. You become more comfortable with time and glad I'm doing it. It was a challenge for me to carry one chambered, but again over time you become comfortable. Don't mistake comfortable with unaware and as always safety first.
  15. C5A

Oct 4, 2009
    It feels abnormal if I do not carry. Court house for instance.
  16. CDR_Glock

Apr 1, 2010
    Do you carry a wallet in the pocket or a cellular phone? That's what it feels like to me. Just one added item to carry.

With the appropriate holster, you should be appropriately comfortable and confident. I don't think it's wise to carry without a holster, or use a Grip Clip. So aside from that, Condition 1, all the way.

Disregard, the following statements: you said you were getting a Non-resident Utah concealed carry license: Problem with your open carry laws out there, two actions are necessary: i.e. Loaded Magazine without round in the chamber of a Semiauto or empty chamber on the first trigger pull of a Revolver sounds like a disaster.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  17. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Central Florida
  18. BamaBud

BamaBud NRA Life Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Heart of Dixie
    Having carried (legally) for more than 40 years, I feel strange NOT carrying.

I saw my first OCer in person yesterday. I was cc in local Grocery store. Noticed another man, about 50-60 years old OCing a Kimber in a tooled leather holster. Funny, no one else seemed to notice (or make a commotion anyway).
  19. TheJ

TheJ NRA Life Member Lifetime Member

Jan 24, 2011

After a while it feels really uncomfortable to NOT carry.
  20. VinnieD

Mar 26, 2011
    At first you feel a tad nervous, but quickly enough you stop thinking about it at all. Not carrying feels like going out without your pants.