Can only fit 7 shells in 8 shot 590

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by aliasneo07, Feb 7, 2013.

1. All,

Buddy bought a Mossberg 590 yesterday. It is the 8 shot model. Immediately, upon recommendations of others, the standard mag spring was swapped with the Wolff extra power spring. We loaded it tonight to check for function and could only fit 7 rounds in the gun. Could almost get the 8th in, but not quite.

Is this a hit you have to take with the Wolff spring, or is something else the issue?

All shells are 2-3/4. 6 were Remington 00BK and 2 were Winchester rifled slugs.

Perhaps it is an issue of the magazine spring cap being pushed too low?

I don't know, but I'm concerned.

Thanks

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    12 ga shotgun shells for general use Tactical Shotguns Jan 13, 2015
    Need a source for CCI 38 special shotshells Caliber Corner Sep 20, 2014
    .40 Cal shot-shells in the G29 The 10 Ring Jan 10, 2014
    shot gun shells Reloading Sep 25, 2013
    Anyone load shotshells on a Lee Load All? Reloading May 16, 2013

3. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

High brass shells only fit 7.

4. I didn't think those were high brass...

You mean it only fits 7 b/c of spring or b/c of mag tube? I swear people load 8 00BK all the time.

5. concretefuzzynuts

What I'm saying, and I may be wrong, some shells are 1/16 or 1/8 longer than others. Add 1/16 X 7 shells and you have an extra 7/16". Just enough to not allow that 8th shell.

6. concretefuzzynuts

I have had shells that were listed as 2 3/4 that measured 1/16 to 1/8 longer than each other.

But I could be wrong in regards to your gun.

It was impossible to get that last shell in.

#5 concretefuzzynuts, Feb 7, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  7. my 590 holds eight 2-3/4s just fine. you might try pulling the mag spring retainer, spring and follower out and have a look around.

8. Mine did the same so I cut two links off of the spring to get 8rds. (I needed less than 1/2 an inch to get the finally round in)

The shorter spring made it unreliable feeding the last round.

I bought a wolff replacement spring and learn to live with 7rds.

9. It's the Wolff spring. My 590 fit 8 just fine until I installed the Wolff spring. I removed the retaining cap, reinstalled the spring and end cap (the thread-on part), and it now holds 8 with just a hair to spare. It also feeds even the last round in the tube with authority. The only catch is it makes takedown slightly more complicated.

#8 WoodenPlank, Feb 7, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  10. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

2 3/4" shotgun shells are ~2.5" long. Don't take my word for it...use a ruler you lazy slug. A 2 3/4" shell is the specified max length of the FIRED hull.

You will find tremendous variation in factory shotshell lengths even among different loadings from the same manufacturer. Again, don't take my word for it but stand up a bunch of different 2 3/4" shells from different manufacturers next to each other.

In my Mossberg 590 the only 2 3/4" shells that allow me to load 8 shells are the Winchester Ranger loads. Federals tend to be on the longish side.

These are all factory 2 3/4" loads--notice the visible difference in length...

[​IMG]

11. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

If it was me, I'd load 7 and not overcompress the mag spring. I normally put a choate mag follower in my shotguns, that eliminates 1 round from the magazine, anyhow.

12. Yep, I ran into that issue in the past with Fiocchi shotshells, as they use an end-cap instead of a traditional crimp, so the loaded shells were longer.

I haven't run into any issues with Federal or Remington, though. Before I installed the Wolff spring, I could easily fit 8 rounds of Remington LR 00 or Federal LR #1 into the tube. I only ran into issues after installing the Wolff spring, but pulling the internal retaining cap fixed that problem.

13. I loaded 8 of Wal Mart cheap stuff and high brass buck shot and slugs and no issues getting 8 in and 1 in chamber.

14. +1

An aftermarket mag follower will usually take up more space in the tube than the stock stamped steel one

15. glockman99

Millennium Member

16. +2; same with my 590, it is the actual length of the shell not the package designation.

17. Pulling the internal retaining cap like...you removed it completely? I didn't know that was ok.

18. Yep, took it out. The "nipple" on the actual screw-on nut gives the extra quarter inch or so needed to fit the last shell in. The spring isn't any more compressed than it was before, it just has slightly more space to fit into. I can't see any reason why this would cause any function issues, you just have to be more careful when disassembling the shotgun.

As far as I know, the stamped steel retaining cap is just there to hold the spring in when you remove the end cap. So long as you unload the tube first, and carefully let off the cap, you should be fine.

19. megawatt

megawatt Electron maker

My bet is on the ammo being the issue. All of these shells are the same size category 2-3/4"

[​IMG]