close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Can jacketed bullets cause leading?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by igolfat8, Sep 25, 2012.

1. igolfat8

igolfat8

May 7, 2004
    Central, OH
    I have wondered if the exposed lead face, in the back side of jacketed bullets could cause lead build up in the barrel? If the explosion of gunpowder in the casing is in direct contact with the exposed lead wouldn't this melt the lead and then spray it into the barrel? Is this the reason why some manufacturers use a copper gas check on the back of jacketed bullets?

2. glock_19guy1983

glock_19guy1983

Sep 8, 2002
    dixie
    No its not going to lead like that. The bullet never gets hot enough to melt the lead inside the barrel. Some may vaporize but, leading your barrel with jacketed bullets should be the last of your worries.

3. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Nope. First, there is no gas check on a jacketed bullet. There are plated bases & enclosed jacketed bases. Some will use a gilding metal gas check on a lead bulelt to limit leading, but Lead doesn't really melt at the base, not enough to actually lead. Dig out a fired bullet, open base or even lead, there isn't much damage to the base. The internal temos are high but only for micro seconds, not enough to really get things going.:dunno:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  4. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    Jacketed bullets don't lead the barrel. Very little lead and the next bullet is constantly polishing the barrel. BUT, Non fully incased bullets will lead the compensator of a open gun. Those guns are running very high pressure and over time lead does build up in the comp.

5. superhornet

superhornet

Apr 1, 2005
    florida
    No---but 5,000 rounds of JHP will cause coppering..:rofl:

6. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Southern Maryland
    An exposed lead tip COULD cause lead poisoning of the intended 'organic' target.

:supergrin:

7. man.cave

man.cave

Mar 6, 2012
    NC
    I wondered about his also until a few years ago I dug a couple bullets out of a tree and saw no real difference in the lead base. I was neat to see the rifling on the bullet though.

8. noylj

noylj

Jul 20, 2010
    No, not even the exposed lead base of a FMJ.
    However, damaged plated bullets have been known to shed the plating and lead barrels.