close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Can I send my frame back to Glock?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by NVFireFighter, Jul 30, 2012.

1. NVFireFighter

NVFireFighter

I bought a Gen3 20SF that has been stippled(sp?)rather badly.

Can I send it back to be replaced with a new Gen3 frame and keep the same serial #, or is that just a pipe dream?

I tried to search but it's kind of hard, term wise, and I just kept getting no results. I hope this is the right place to ask this......

Thanks for any help!

2. TruthNotRelative

TruthNotRelative

I've spoken to Glock on two different occasions about this very thing. The response was the same both times. They will replace the frame at the cost of $150, but it will not have the same serial #.

3. silversport

silversport

when I spoke with them, they said it was possible to replace the frame with a similar serial number (they would add the -1 to the serial number) but the wait would be long (8 weeks or more)...give them a call...

Bill

4. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

That's how it's always been for as long as I can remember.

The only time I've ever heard of them 'adding a 1' to the serial number has been when they were replacing frames due the breaking frame rail troubles.....and then the 1 was added to the front end of the serial number.
    [​IMG]

5. NVFireFighter

NVFireFighter

Thank you for the replies!

Do they make you go through a dealer or FFL on exchange of a frame?

I wonder of an OD frame is out of the question,lol...

Thank you again for the help.

6. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

Yes I believe it will be out of the question. Even if your weapon was originally OD. I asked the same question in regards to RTF2 frames on existing RTF2 weapons and the answer was no.

7. NVFireFighter

NVFireFighter

Well,just got off the phone with Glock.

They said that since it is a gen3, and has the ambi mag release, they will replace the frame under warranty, but I will lose the ambi mag and the rail? The ambi mag is not really a big deal for me but the rail is another matter......I might have to live with the shoddy stipling. :crying:

And since I'm a Nevada resident I can go direct with Glock on the shipping.

On the fence now......

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  8. TRX450R_Racer

TRX450R_Racer Punisher

I thought they were giving gen4s as a replacement. I would call and see if they would give you a gen4.

9. JBS

JBS

PM TexasPOff, he may be able to save your frame and correct the bad job.

10. lyodbraun

lyodbraun

Id just send them the whole gun and get a brand new one, your new one will have a Rail on it, any pics of the bad stipple job??

11. silversport

silversport

Interesting...I sent in a 1999 Vintage G17 that had a frame all beat up from the previous owner...I was told I could get a new frame with a different number within a short time or I could wait if I needed the same serial number but they would add the -1...

...an earlier G27 I had was on GLOCKs recall list and they replaced the frame with the dash 1 as I recall but I haven't owned that G27 for years ...

Bill

12. wrczx3

wrczx3 Jerry

I can't believe that Glock would give you a new frame under warranty for something that isn't the least bit their fault.

13. lyodbraun

lyodbraun

Thats cause Glock had issues with that Frame and they were Recalled it has nothing to do with what was done to the grip or stipple job...

14. NVFireFighter

NVFireFighter

They would replace the frame because they are discontinuing the ambi mag release version.....not because of the bad stippling job.

15. NVFireFighter

NVFireFighter

Hehehe,beat me to it....

Okay,I'm a little confused now.:dunno:

Did the G20SF Gen3 come in different versions? Did they all have the ambi mag release or just some of them? The guy at Glock said I would lose the rail if they replaced the frame under the recall......would that mean a Gen2 frame? I thought all Glocks had a rail when the Gen3 started?

Sorry for the noob questions, but I only have a Gen2 G23 and I have never had any reason to delve into the repair/replace end of things!

Thanks again!

16. NVFireFighter

NVFireFighter

[​IMG]

17. DASA

DASA

I dunno, looks OK to me. I thought maybe you burned a hole straight through the frame with a wood engraving tool or something. Awesome that Glock is going to get you a new pistol because of the Ambi mag release issue. Make me want to find a used one and practice all sorts of stippling/backstrap removal techniques then have Glock swap out the poor guinea pig of a pistol for a fresh one. Don't worry about swapping your pistol for a new one, the Glock rep. was referring to the fact that your new pistol/frame will have the standard rail, just not the picatinny rail. All lights on the market will fit the rail, it's the same rail being used on most pistols (not just Glocks) sold today.
    Let us know what they send you, I love the big G20.
    Whoops...this is a G20? I thought only the G21 had the Ambi release and picatinny rail? I see your pistol doesn't even have the rail I was referring to. Maybe the Glock rep though it did?
    I'm confused too.

18. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

I know they made G21's with the ambi mag release but never heard of a G20SF with it............

19. DASA

DASA

The pistol you have in the photo appears to be a standard Gen 3 G20 SF. That isn't an Ambi mag release. The Glock rep you talked to must have made a mistake and though it was a G21. They will probably charge you for a new frame. I'd just live with it or part the pistol out and use the cash to buy a new GEN 4 G20. You can probably get $300-$350 for the upper and at least $100 for the lower.

20. dhoomonyou

dhoomonyou