close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Can I replace my Pontiac window motor?

Discussion in 'Car Forum' started by emt1581, Oct 13, 2006.

1. emt1581

emt1581
    Expand Collapse
    Curious Member

I took the door panel off of my 2003 pontiac sunfire and found no loose ground wires or anything of the sort.

The window motor keeps failing and needs replacement. I called a local place (that I trust) and they said that it would be 200-300 to replace it but said it wouldn't take much time to do.

I'm wondering if I can do it myself and if there are instructions online to do it?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

2. wolfy692005

wolfy692005
    Expand Collapse
    pro tinkerer

i am sure there are online instructions somewhere but i am not savy enought to find them... the little motors are usually straight forward... 2 or sometimes 3 bolts hold it to the door the gear meshes with the window and the plug unsnaps and resnaps... taking the door panel off always takes me longer..

3. Warp

Warp
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You can do it. Those damn GM window motors are notorious for failing. Only bad part on my car.

They go out in F-bodies all the time as well. I have replaced one on my Camaro and had one replaced by the dealer already...and am about to replace one of them again. I am using window motors from autozone now, they have a lifetime replacement warranty and cost <$100.

To change them all I needed was very basic screwdriver type tools and a drill to drill out the rivets.

I will see if I can find the online directions, it might be very similer in your car.

4. emt1581

emt1581
    Expand Collapse
    Curious Member

Interesting. I've had a ton of problems with my Pontiac. Mostly factory/repairshop screwups, but GM is horrible to deal with. I figure if I can find the directions and the work isn't too technical, I can do it myself. I'd really appreciate any how-to guides.

Thanks!!!

-Emt1581

5. Warp

Warp
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have no idea how close the Sunfire will be to this:

http://www.shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html

There is a better writeup somewhere else I will look for.

I did not need nor use a C-clamp. It took me one hour the first time I did it, having no idea what I was doing and wasting time trying to take the wiring harness out of the motor before drilling it comletely out and then removing the harness through the speaker panel hole.