close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Can I fire/test my new Glock 23 Offshore?

Discussion in 'Florida Glockers Club' started by Dom, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Dom

Dom

Jul 20, 2009
    Hi,

I just received my new glock 23C and wanted to give it a few test fires to see how it shoots.

Since ranges/ammo are so expensive, I was wondering if it would be legal to discharge/test my firearm offshore (from a boat) in south Florida waters. Of course, this is assuming proper safety protocols and that I am not anywhere near other boaters.

Does anyone know anything about this? I have looked all over the internet and cannot find anything!

Thanks in advance

2. greatwun

greatwun Senior Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I would think you'd have to go 3 miles out to be in international waters to do so. I also think that if you are within Florida waters self defense laws apply, so you could only discharge the firearm to defend you, your family, or property from a forcible felony? Isnt there a section on this in Gutmacher's book?

3. Baldi

Baldi

Jul 10, 2009
    I have read that shooting over water is dangerous as the bullet can skip a long way - like skipping stones. Be careful.

4. greatwun

greatwun Senior Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Orlando, FL
  5. mac59

mac59 G-26

Jun 18, 2009
    Florida
    Just a thought -- if you are boarded by the U.S.C.G. and they do a search, find a freshly fired gun they will have questions.

6. Dom

Dom

Jul 20, 2009
    Well I did some research apparently it's ok when your in international waters... but the ricochet is a good point...better stick to the range.

And if anyone decides to do it, call your local sheriff'/police office to make sure.

Thanks guys

7. packinaglock

packinaglock John 3:16

May 1, 2007
    Loxahatchee Fl
    This would be my fear also

8. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Jr Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Seems to me that unless ranges are alot more in south FL than they are up here that it would be cheaper to just go to the range.

9. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

Aug 22, 2003
    Nevada
    So it is more convenient (and cheaper) for you to go out on a boat far, far from shore to test fire a gun rather than pay a few bucks to go to a range?

MF

10. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Jr Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Heck, he could just go to an alley in Miami and no one would think twice about a few rounds going off.

11. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Jan 12, 2007
    outside the wire perimeter.
    Navy gunners and MA's always fire at sea.

As far as ricochets, they are a probability, but they will not continue forever and ever and ever....

Tie and old PFD to a cord, let it drift behind you 10 yards, and then test fire your new Glock. Oh, but only do it in international waters and with no other boats/vessels in sight.

12. Peace Warrior

Jan 12, 2007
    :rofl:

13. scoutstaugustin

scoutstaugustin

Aug 5, 2006
    Firing from a boat, all you'll learn is whether or not your gun goes bang. As far as accuracy, you won't be able to tell if you could hit the broad side of a barn.
    Hit the range.

14. Dom

Dom

Jul 20, 2009
    Problem with the range is I'm low on cash right now as I'm paying tuition expenses and the ranges in Palm Beach County, FL make you buy THEIR ammunition...you cannot bring your own.

Oh, and THEIR ammunition costs twice as much as what you would pay in a store! The prices are ridiculous.. like $35 for 50 rounds which would normally cost you $16 at wally mart.

15. Peace Warrior

Jan 12, 2007
    Dom,

I was ignoring the "why go to sea tribe's" verbiage. heck, if I could get off shore for a while I'd do it just to do it! The fishing, time on the water, and shooting a gun or two would simply be gravy after the fact.

Have fun hoss, and when you get back, do tell me about the one that got away. :wavey:

16. Peace Warrior

Jan 12, 2007
    :upeyes: I "know a guy" that shot pretty accurately from a boat back in the day.

17. scoutstaugustin

scoutstaugustin

Aug 5, 2006
    Actually, Sonny Crockett and Ricardo Tubbs did O.K. from boats in "Miami Vice", and that was real wasn't it ???

Seriously, too bad about the ammo price thing. I've never been to a range where you gotta buy their stuff.

18. I understand your love of guns and shooting . I share it but please don't give anyone ideas like this. Generally not a good idea. Although i have thouight about it and was more than 3 miles out i did'nt want to get used to what is clearly a bad habit. Be carefull of others.

19. +1...

20. Evela

Evela

Apr 11, 2009
    I don't buy this S*** at all. Let's see, he doesn't have enough money for say an $8 range fee, but he has enough to gas up and head out to "international waters".

Idiocy. As an experience boater, I can tell you that other watercraft are very hard to see due to waves and troughs, and that any bullet fired will far exceed your visual ability at sea.

This is the kind of nut that gives shooting and guns a bad name. Shame!