close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Can I carry in Ikea

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by pspez, Jul 15, 2012.

1. pspez

pspez

May 3, 2006
    Coconut Creek, Fl
    I was at Ikea yesterday and they had a sign that I don't specifically remember the wording but, it was implying that no firearms were allowed. Can I still carry in that store even though I have a conceal liceness?

2. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

Apr 16, 2012
    Refer here...http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

“No Firearm” signs in Florida have no force of law unless they are posted on property that is specifically mentioned in State Law as being off limits to those with a Permit/License to Carry. If you are in a place not specifically mentioned in the law that is posted and they ask you to leave, you must leave. If you refuse to leave then you are breaking the law and can be charged. Even if the property is not posted and you are asked to leave you must leave. Always be aware of the possibility that responding Police Officers who may have been called without your knowledge and may not know the laws on trespass etc. could arrest you even if you are within the law.

3. Glockworks

Glockworks Ready/Aim/Fire

If it is against the law to carry, ie, courts, government buildings for example, maybe places that sell liquor, I bow to the law.

If it is a business for example, IMO if they want everyone but criminals disarmed, then they should be liable if anything happens to a higher degree than a non anti-firearm establishment. For they made their rules disarming lawful carrying people thus it should be their responsibility then to provide for instance armed security. Just my opinion though.

4. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Nov 14, 2005
    In Ohio, it is only problematic if you get caught, and, even then, all they can do, is ask you to leave, and if you do, there is no recourse for them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wavey:

5. Misty02

Misty02

Aug 25, 2008
    Florida
    Legally you can carry. The question then remains; do you want to be where you know you’re not wanted? More often than not my answer is no. If at all possible I’ll chose a competitor to give them my business, even if it is a few dollars more. For example, I won't step foot in Toy’s R Us, I don’t care how competitive they make something I’m looking for.

6. Misty02

Misty02

Aug 25, 2008
    Florida
    In Florida as well. If asked to leave, do so immediately (no lip service), then again that applies whether you’re carrying or not. You could be charged with trespassing otherwise, in our case it may even be armed trespassing.

7. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Jan 28, 2010
    Florida
    We are neighbors, CC too...

As covered, signs have no legal weight in FL. I ignore them & if your concealing right no one should know.

8. deadmanglocking

deadmanglocking

May 16, 2012
    In Texas it has to be 30.06 posted to be legal.
    "no gun" signs carry no weight here.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  9. BenjiEDF

BenjiEDF

Jun 15, 2012
    This. Ask for the manager and ask if he has hired security... if the answer is no then look him in the eye and tell him that he doesn't deserve your business. Walk away.

10. jonboy20

jonboy20

Dec 18, 2006
    Round Rock TX
    The ikea in round rock Texas has the required sign to ban chl holders from carrying a weapon. In fact the sign is twice the size as required by law. They also have a sticker on the door advertising a gun free zone. Today I posted on their Facebook account a simple question of why they have this policy and they deleted my post.

11. I'M Glockamolie

I'M Glockamolie

Jun 23, 2006
    Houston
    How I view Ikea: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEwzbHJNkwg"]PI-kea bot - YouTube[/ame]

12. If its concealed, no one should know anyway. Carry away.

I don't particularly like 'the man' telling me where I can defend myself.

13. Lior

Lior GUNS=FREEDOM

Jul 23, 2004
    Israel
    Carrying in Ikea in Israel is kosher.

14. Doubletaps'Rus

Doubletaps'Rus

Dec 10, 2007
    Idaho
    I have made it my hobby to write to stores that don't allow CCW on their premises. In my letters I am polite and point out that I have completed and passed State and Federal background checks. I ask them what they know about their nonccw customers. I ask them to change their policy and promise to shop there again as soon as they do.

I refuse to give money to people who violate my civil rights. I would encourage you to do the same. But a silent protest doesn't work. If Ikea got 10,000 letters explaining why we won't shop there, maybe they would reconsider their policy.

15. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    In many cases, it's not that we're unwanted, it's that the lawyers have forced the company to consider the potential ramifications of a customer using a gun and accidentally shooting another customer.

If a company spokesperson comes out and says, "Guns are icky" I will certainly avoid buying their products when possible.

But if their only act is to put up a meaningless sign, I tend to keep that act separate from my decision to shop there.

In other words, if there is something I want to buy at Ikea, I will buy it at Ikea, and simply ignore the sign as I carry my lawfully concealed weapon.

(Has Ikea come out of the closet as an 'anti-gun' corporation? I honestly don't know.)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  16. why would you do business with this Troll-faced, stingy, sob who knowingly used Forced Labour ?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  17. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Jun 14, 2002
    Are you a literate adult, or a wannabe gangster? If the property owner says they don't want guns on their property, go elsewhere or lock it up. IF your plan A is to make excuses or claim ignorance for your behavior, you might want to have a good plan B.