close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Can anyone identify this frame/magazine release?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by tepps, Jul 25, 2012.

1. tepps

tepps

Edit: Start of serialnumber: NXK. Date marking on barrel: COD.

Hi,

I bought myself a Glock 17 some two years ago, and as far as i can summize it's a gen 3 with RTF2 frame. The gun is made in Austria and purchased in Norway (where i live).

However, from all the pictures of RTF2 frames i've seen on this forum, and on the internet in general, has been with a 'small' hole for the magazine release. My gun however has a 'large' hole from which the magazine release protrudes.

I purchased an extended mag. release which i fitted, but the problem is that it does not fill the hole completely, leaving a non-desirable gap between the mag. release and the frame.

[​IMG]

As you can see in the attached picture, the stock mag. release is quite large in width but it does not protrude enough outwards from the frame to my liking.

Now; the question is how and where can i find an original, glock-made extended mag. release that fits properly in this frame? They seem to have one for all the other frames and i'm assuming (and hoping) that there is one for my frame aswell.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes and the weird sentence build-up. English is not my main language :cowboy:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  2. TRX450R_Racer

TRX450R_Racer Punisher

What are the first 3 digits of serial #?

3. kashdaddy

kashdaddy Glockaholic

glockmeister.com has some really nice ones!

4. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

Your original magazine release seems to have been the "Pro" series mag release. There was a G17 Pro sold in some Euro countries that had that type of magazine release which requires a larger hole in the frame.

I don't know if standard Glock mag releases will work with that frame, I personally wouldn't try it.

5. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

I'm just blown away this is your first post since you joined in 2009. Welcome.

6. JBS

JBS

Looks like you have one of these rare Glocks

7. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

He was planning for the future.

Welcome aboard

8. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

9. tepps

tepps

Thanks for all the replies.

The only thing on my glock that resembles the G17 pro is the frame. The slide has standard straight serrations, and the magazines are the standard 17rnd flush ones. The barrel is unthreaded and totally standard glock factory barrel.

Weird. Seems like they've attached a RTF2 G17-"pro" frame to a normal glock gen3.

Anyway, i shoot IPSC production (competition shooting) and as such i am only allowed to use parts from the glock factory offered as standard alternatives.

Anyone think this will fit? http://www.glockmeister.com/Mag-Catch-Factory-Extended-Gen-4-For-9mm-40SW-357SIG/productinfo/G8794/

10. Butch

11. Butch

Forget my last question....your picture wasn't opening for me before, but it is now....obviously it is an RTF2 frame.

Curious though, what is the gun's serial number prefix and the date code from the barrel?

12. tepps

tepps

EDIT 2: My serial number starts with NXK, with the date marking being COD

Hi again. Im at a buddy's house atm so i can't look at my glock. My serial number is either NKX or NXK or something along those lines, i cant remember exactly.

However, my mate has en indentical glock purchased at the exact same place some months later - and his serial number begins with PCF.

I really want an extended mag. release, im thinking about sending an email directly to glock. I mean, they have to make an extended version, right? I'm hoping, atleast :p

EDIT: My buddys date code from the barrel is: VOD. I do not know if my barrel has the same date code. (althought as i wrote earlier, they are indentical in looks, bought from same place ect..)

13. Butch

Interesting! COD = Oct. 2009.....VOD = Nov. 2009.

I'm gonna guess that Glock does not make an extended mag catch for that style. Realistically, the style on your gun is very similar to the Gen4 style, but probably not as big.

14. Butch

15. tepps

tepps

Thanks a lot, im unsure from the look of it if the "body" of the mag release is wide enough to fill the gap, although the button seemingly will cover it.

Ill check it out, thanks for all your support :wavey:

PS. I ordered this: http://glockparts.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=274220&CAT=725 just to check if it works, as it looks like it will. But then again i don't know if glock added some tiny diffrence between Gen3RTF2 frames and Gen4 frames in regards to the mag release hole.

I will post here with feedback once i recieve it in the mail, it'll presumably take a while though, 5$ shipping from US to Norway tends to do that :p

16. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

It will not work. The Gen4 magazine catch is much bigger than the Pro series magazine catch. You may be able to shave some material off of it to make it fit though.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  17. Evan_O

Evan_O