close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Calling all S&W Revolver experts.... S&W 686-4

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Airborne Infantryman, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman 'Murica!

Nov 20, 2009
    VA
    I went to the gunshop today looking for a .45, but a revolver caught my eye....a S&W 686-4 with 4 inch barrel, to be exact. It looks JUST like this one in the pic below-

[​IMG]

No lock, original wood grips, etc. Looks to be in 97% condition, and that's being harsh. The wood grips are immaculate. Its definitely a hefty gun, which I LIKE in a revolver of a higher caliber. They want $550 out the door for it. I'm wondering if that's worth it? It really is a nice revolver; I like it a LOT more than my Ruger GP100 6-inch I used to have. Just looking for a little insight as to whether I should snatch it up. :wavey:

ETA: The trigger and hammer look odd....like they're case hardened or something....the hammer and trigger look exactly like the hammer and trigger on this S&W-

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  2. Glock40man

Glock40man

Feb 1, 2011
    The Midwest
    They are one of the best 357s period. But that is just my opinion.

3. Magus

Magus Deo Vindice

Jan 24, 2009
    I think that's a more or less fair price for a S&W like that as long as it's in really good condition. They don't make them that way anymore. Good, well made, reliable revolver.

I'd still see if I could shake em' down about $50 or so. But I've seen 686's like this go for far more. It's still cheaper than current production with the lock. I say go for it.

4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    If the gun is really 97% or more, i'd buy it for $550.

5. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Jul 13, 2003
    Canada
    This revolver was produced between 1993 and 1996. S&W catalog (3rd Edition) says: NIB - $500, Excellent - $425. Lately I've seen NIB 686 (unfired, no-lock) with all the papers priced at $525, but I'm in Canada - You should have better selection and prices...I guess. Bottom line is that if You like it and feel like buying - buy it. Those guns are more and more expensive comparing to current production from S&W.

6. barth

barth six barrels

Oct 7, 2011
    The Free Zone
    Looks like a ballpark price for one?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  7. R*E

R*E

May 12, 2008
    The trigger and hammer are case hardened. I have a 686-4 that came with rubber grips, I think I paid $399 NIB back in '94. As long as the timing and cylinder shake isn't a problem, I'd buy it.

8. that +1

Look around on Gunbroker for the same gun and look at the prices, always a good indicator.

Greatr gun, I carried one duty as a LEO when they first came out and still have it.

Loaded it up with some .357 magnum Gold Dots and let loose a couple of rounds at a bad guy.

Even if you miss they will collapse when they see the fireball at the end of the barrel.

This is the only gun that Chuck Norris won't go up against.

9. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman 'Murica!

Nov 20, 2009
    VA
    Are these 686-4's safe to dry-fire? The one I fondled at the gunstore had its firing pin attached to the hammer. Looked like you could replace the firing pin if need be?

It looked very nice. I'm sure if I bought it, cleand it up, it could pass for 98%. The wood grips are original. Not varnished of anything. Whoever had this gun took exceptional care of it. The bore looks great as well. Lock-up is very tight too. It couldn't have had too many round fired through it....

10. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Glock4Life

Oct 11, 2004
    Avondale, AZ.
    Revolvers have gone sky frickin' high IMHO. I bought a brand new S&W 686+(the 7 shot model) with a 2.5" bbl, round butt(think that's the only way they make em' today) back in '98 and paid $450 for it and that was a high price but I really wanted that gun.
    Seems to me that no L-Frame should be worth more then $400 even on it's best day. Color Case hammer and trigger are probably replacements, someone probably had standard and wanted Target Hammer and Target Trigger and ordered the Color Case in stead of Stainless, at least that's my take on it.
    If you really want the gun I'd offer em' $450 cash out the door and remind them that the economy sucks right now and money is tight. If they really want to deal they will, if not keep an eye on the local sales sites and I'm sure something similar will turn up. As always, JMHO, YMMV.

11. The 686-4 is a fine revolver. Check Gunbroker to get a feel for what they're selling for. For what it's worth, I just bought a 586-3 (blue version of the 686) that is 98% no box or papers for $425 OTD.

12. MJB

MJB

Jul 28, 2008
    Treasure Coast FL
    I've seen pics of those hammer mounted pins broken off. Buy snap caps it's cheap insurance.

13. ca survivor

ca survivor

Dec 25, 2011
    Florida
    Get it, before a Smith & Wesson expert buys it, that's a fair price for non-lock Smith.

14. pennlineman

pennlineman

Feb 16, 2009
    PA

Me too, very fair price in my area anyways. I have a 6" and 2 1/2". I've been looking awhile for a nice 4".

They are safe to dry fire, I've been doing it for years with mine with no problems. The only exception would be the .22 rimfires.

15. ratf51

ratf51

Aug 6, 2010
    NW GA
    Price is relative. You could, maybe, hunt around on the wide-wide-world-of-web and eventually find the same gun for less. Or not. Where I am, that would be a good price for the gun; really good considering that it is a pre-lock version. Get it, do not stop, do not pass go, go get it.

With the hammer mounted firing pins I would not dry-fire without a snap cap.

16. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    Sounds good, I would jump on it. The 686 is one of the best out there. If the grips are in good shape like you say, I would put some Hogue rubber grips on there to save the nice ones.

I prefer the Hogues for shooting full power mag loads anyway, although beautiful they are not comfortable to me.

17. hogship

hogship It's MY Island

$550 for a 4" 686 is a very good price around here.......

ooc

18. wanderinwalker

wanderinwalker 6 of .44

Feb 13, 2003
    New Hampshire
    Wait a minute. Why isn't this a "look what followed me home" thread?

If you have the money and want it, I'd say go for it. Offer $500 to start, but I would pay $550 for a clean, prelock stainless L-frame. And I don't even like the stupid full-lug barrels all of the manufacturers have seen fit to infect late model service revolvers with! :whistling:

It's still less than I've seen the N-frames going for around here lately. I'm positive I could turn my 6" 629 for more than I paid based on what I've seen on the shop shelves.

19. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Feb 28, 2001
    NY
    I paid $165 for mine but that was a few years ago. :supergrin:

20. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Glock4Life

Oct 11, 2004
    Avondale, AZ.
    So basically some of ya'll are saying that a used 686 S&W is worth the same as a used Sig P229, wow, I never thought I'd live to see the day.:shocked: