Glock Talk banner

Calling all S&W 340 owners- Chime in

10K views 32 replies 28 participants last post by  2740dmx 
#1 ·
Well, I've been carrying my 340SC now for several years as a pocket gun, and just this week picked up a set of LG-405's (CT Lasergrip), and I must say this is one of my favorite, lightweight, throw in my front pocket and forget about it guns I have. For me, this is a "better than nothing" gun, as if I can carry and effectively conceal my Glock 27 (or larger gun) that goes with me first. My 340

My question to all the 340 owners is this- Do you really load the .357 MAG round when you carry it concealed? I know everyone bought this gun because of the .357 capabilities (otherwise you could have bought the 642 and saved some $), but perhaps after firing it decided that was not the way to go, so that's why I ask. And most important- BE HONEST! Don't let your ego or pride get in the way, some people may have a hard time admitting that they can't handle the round or don't like it.. after all it is a brutal round to fire out of the scandium framed gun!!

Me personally, I first had a 642 for many years, and enjoyed carrying that... but after the 340 came out in .357, I sold my 642 and bought the 340 figuring I would just have more options, and worst case scenerio just download to .38 rounds (and effectively admit that I just wasted several hundreds of dollars upgrading to the .357, lol!).

I'll admit that when I first bought the 340, I was pumped to have a full power .357 gun until I shot the .357 rounds out of it... and went back to loading it with .38 special rounds (I have always liked the Nyclad in .38). The .357 at first was VERY painful and uncomfortable to shoot.... but over time, I have fired it enough to adjust to it and now carry full .357 loads for personal defense.

I will also say this- on my range trips, this is the LAST gun I shoot as I know my hand will swell and perhaps become numb... and I don't shoot a lot of rounds out of it. But I am comfortable enough with this gun that I think I could do whatever was needed in a high stress situation.

For those who just bought the gun, or have had it a while.... give it some time! Work your way into the .357 rounds and you'll be glad you did. If they just don't work out for you, I'd still feel comfortable with the .38 rounds.

So lets hear from the 340 owners....

See less See more
#28 ·
Nice to see this old thread resurrected.

Since it was put to sleep I´ve been doing more and more 38 special +P shooting in it. I use the good ol Chicago or FBI load. 158 gr. LSWHP from Remington. The superior lead quality keeps the revolver very clean, it is manageable, and a hell of a load.

Like I said before, I can´t handle magnum loads very well in this lightweight revolver. The marginal added velocity is not worth the extra blast and uncontrollability. IMHO of course.

For those of you shooting magnum loads, could you post real chronoed data of velocities obtained with bullet weights out of this snub or similar ?

#29 ·
Since this thread was last active (prior to today), I've picked up a second M&P 340.

I've come to like the M&P 340 that much. ;)

This latest one is the new variation that doesn't have the ILS (lock).

While I'll probably still occasionally carry the original one as I rotate through my various J's, I plan to use it increasingly as my "range beater". Might as well try to see if I can wear it out.
Coming from you, that is a great endorsement for the M&P 340!
I have long wanted a 340...but like many of us...financial reality gets in the way!
I have often considered going to a concealed carry regimen that consists of a 340 IWB with a 442 in front pocket.
10 rounds of .38+P is a solid defensive tool...

#30 · (Edited)
I have long wanted a 340...but like many of us...financial reality gets in the way!
I have often considered going to a concealed carry regimen that consists of a 340 IWB with a 442 in front pocket.
I really hope you can stash away the bucks for a 340 some day friend, you'll not regret it and will love the little one more and more as time goes by.

I have the 340PD with a High Viz green front optic pipe, and M&P 340 with a Crimson Trace and XS dot tritium front.

Edited: It is said about these little ones "carried often, shot little", but I find myself shooting the 340's more often than not. I love the challenge they pose with my 38 spl +P's.

I never use both at the same time but your idea of two snubs is not bad. Front pocket carry ? you might want the lighter gun there all by itself.

#31 · (Edited)
The reason I like the M&P 340 enough to have picked up the second one is because I've had the chance to do quite a bit of shooting using my first one, along with my other J's (5 others), and I've found the XS front night sight to offer a faster sight acquisition (when I take the time to pick up the front sight). It's handy and fast to use.

My other J's have a mix of the older/narrow and newer/wide front post ramps, and a couple colors of sight paint (orange/red & white), so they work pretty well. It's just that the standard size XS front dot sight is much easier & faster to pick up, and it centers very well into the U-shaped rear notch, making it easier to avoid letting the front sight unintentionally rise and lift the POI.

I think S&W got the sight setup just right on the M&P's.

Besides, once they released the new M&P 340 without the ILS, it gave me enough reason to pick up another one. ;)

The weight difference between the 442/642 and the M&P isn't a lot, but it is noticeable when it comes to pocket carry. The Ti/Sc guns are even lighter (like the PD's), but I just never got too interested in the guns with the titanium cylinders. Talk about light pocket carry, though ... they can virtually disappear, weight-wise.

I've not often carried a couple J's at the same time, but I've done it. Special circumstances, so to speak.

If I wasn't an older revolver shooter, and didn't enjoy somewhat of a strong foundation of a revolver skillset, I probably wouldn't be carrying the J's so much. I do enjoy shooting them, though, and I like keeping my revolver skills current. I spent my fair share of time having to wear a full-size or compact pistol on-duty every day, so now that I'm retired I enjoy being able to carry a smaller & lighter variety of retirement weapons.

Sure, sometimes I'll carry one of my assorted full-size, compact or sub-compact pistols (and I have a number of them in 9, .40 & ,45), but more often than not it's one of my J's that gets the nod ... and the M&P has even replaced my well-liked 642-1's as the most commonly chosen model.

I'm still kicking around picking up a nickel M40, just to add another steel frame to my collection, and I really miss an older nickel M36 3" w/heavy barrel I foolishly let slip away. That little 3" J handled and fired just about as well as my issued 686 4" of that time (although it was a belt holster gun for me, which is probably why I let it go when one of the guys tempted me to sell it to him many years ago).

Well, anyway, it was nice to see this older lightweight J thread topic resurrected. ;)

Hard to beat the variety of J's for their intended roles.

#33 ·
I really hope you can stash away the bucks for a 340 some day friend, you'll not regret it and will love the little one more and more as time goes by.

I have the 340PD with a High Viz green front optic pipe, and M&P 340 with a Crimson Trace and XS dot tritium front.

Edited: It is said about these little ones "carried often, shot little", but I find myself shooting the 340's more often than not. I love the challenge they pose with my 38 spl +P's.

I never use both at the same time but your idea of two snubs is not bad. Front pocket carry ? you might want the lighter gun there all by itself.
My day has finally come!
Got a brand new 340 M&P (NO LOCK) on order with Bud's Gun shop, and it should ship any day now!
Haven't figured out how to break the news to my wife yet...
concealed is concealed..I hope!

Full range report to follow!
Now I am back to all revolvers for ccw.
My S&W 66 snub and now the 340 j-frame
Wheelguns rule!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.