close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Calling all Computer Nerds/Techies!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Natrate, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Natrate

Natrate

May 17, 2008
    Is there any way I can block a particular website from being viewed on my computer? I would like to block www.myspace.com so my son can concentrate on doing his homework, instead of communicating with a couple whack-job girls from school. Also, he's getting to the age where pron viewing may be a possibility, so how do I block that too. Thanks.

2. andybtruckin

andybtruckin Member

Aug 12, 2004
    CA

3. NoSuchStudios

NoSuchStudios Squirrely Wrath

Feb 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    best way would probably be to block it on your router/ modem. I blocked myspace for the same reason at my house. The netgear routers i've used all have a parental control feature with key word or website blocking. You can also block in in Internet explorer but thats easily bypassed.

4. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

Aug 7, 2002
    North Carolina
    There are programs that you can install but there are always ways around them. Best bet is to just do what andyb said...remove the computer from his room and put it in a central location.

Greg

5. SBD

SBD

Jul 10, 2007
    Northeast
    If your home network is connected to any kind of router, you could go ahead and block sites one-by-one. An easier solution would be a straight-up software solution--a product you install on his machine that disallows access to certain sites based on your criteria. Those are the two options I can think of.

6. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

Aug 22, 2003
    Nevada
    Blocking My Space will not get the kid to do his homework. Sorry.

Put the computer in a place where people always are and password protect the whole thing for when you are not around. He will have friends without those restrictions on the computer and will look at stuff anyway.

MF

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  7. Natrate

Natrate

May 17, 2008
    He does his homework, but gets distracted by all the Myspace BS.

How do I block it through Internet Explorer?

8. elo

elo NRA fo life

Feb 6, 2007
    Texas
    i don't know.... maybe we can wait for the nerds to help you.. :upeyes:

9. kc8ykd

kc8ykd

Oct 6, 2005
    michigan
    If you are using windows xp or vista you can do this:

click on start and run
    type 'notepad c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts'
    hit ok
    add this entry to the bottom of the file:
    Code:
    127.0.0.1		myspace.com
    save and quit
    reboot

this will redirect all requests for myspace.com back to your own computer.

10. jakemccoy

jakemccoy I love America.

May 20, 2007
    Northern California
    Zone Alarm has a Parental Control feature that allows the parent to block site categories. The newer version may allow you to block specific sites.

EDIT:

I see there are better options provided.

11. jakemccoy

jakemccoy I love America.

May 20, 2007
    Northern California
    So you know, you should probably block all MySpace-type sites. There are at least a dozen other sites where your kid can get similar enjoyment. Blocking MySpace is not even curing the symptom.

12. Goldendog Redux

Aug 22, 2003
    Nevada
    Everyone gets distracted by stuff on the computer. Shoot, half the people surfing GT now are probably at work.

MF

13. void *

void * Dereference Me!

Easy (and cheap) way to block the one site. Still keep an eye on the kid, though, it can be bypassed easily.

Another, possibly better way, if you have a software firewall installed, is to set the default firewall profile up so that only sites you want the kid to access for homework are allowed. (Say, set up one rule that allows wikipedia or whatever site, and another rule that blocks EVERYTHING). Set up a seperate profile that you can turn on when other people want to do normal surfing.

When my sister was living with me, I had actually set things up so that the one linux box she had an account on would kick her after a certain time (she used to sneak down and IM people at 2am-ish - but I was watching her login times) and a cron job that would add/remove firewall rules based on whether or not her account was logged in. Worked pretty well, but the main point is - no matter *what* you do, don't treat it as a silver bullet, still keep an eye on 'em.

14. eingeist

eingeist

Feb 28, 2006
    :rofl: :rofl:

Oh ****?! You can see me right now?!

15. srhoades

srhoades

Jul 14, 2000
    Sign up for Open DNS. You can block categories of sites and add specific sites to block. It's works great and it is FREE.

16. Goldendog Redux

Aug 22, 2003
    Nevada
    I can't but I bet the boss can.

17. podwich

podwich

Sep 7, 2000
    MI
    He'll get around it.

18. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham Footlong Jr.

Sep 7, 2001
    Kokomo Indiana
    In IE you can stick it in the restricted sites list, in the security tab in tools.

19. Big Al 24

Big Al 24

Apr 23, 2008
    Moving the computer is the best way to guarantee he'll behave. Most kids can get around things like this, and if they can't- one of their friends can.

20. grokdesigns

grokdesigns

Dec 23, 2004
    Chandler, AZ
    I second this suggestion. OpenDNS has pre-defined filtering levels, some of which include social networking sites. You can also add custom filters. Like srhoades said, it's entirely free! Set it up at the router level and protect the router with a strong password.