close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Call me crazy but..................

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Hogpauls, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Hogpauls

Hogpauls
    Expand Collapse

..............I really enjoy my Rock Chucker single stage press and don't envision myself getting a turret or a progressive.

I guess a little background info might be helpful to see where this is going. I'm a kept man, I almost worked myself into the grave until my beautiful wife took over that responsibility. So when the kids are at school, the wife is at work and things around the house are done I shoot or reload. Yeah, I know some are saying, "what a sweet gig". No not really, I'd give my left nut to be back at work. As men we aren't well suited for domestic duties. I digress.

I like to have things to do especially if it involves guns and reloading. The single stage press keeps me busy doing what I enjoy. I like the process of each step taken to complete a loaded round. Every now and then I look into purchasing a more efficient machine and ultimately decide the money is better spent on more components. Also why would I want to reduce the amount of time that I find satisfying? Of course if my time was drastically limited as when I did work a Dillon progressive or such with a metric ton of gizmos would be adorning my workbench instead of the trusty Rock Chucker.

Anybody with me?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve
    Expand Collapse
    Decap Pin Killa

I hear ya.

I load so many different calibers that I'd spend half my time converting progressives, or I'd have to have half a dozen of them. Not even Jack is that stupid. Well, close.

All hail hermit time in the garage!!!!

3. g29guy

g29guy
    Expand Collapse

I'm with you on the enjoyment of the hobby. If i did get a progressive or turret it would be for mass plinking loads and I'd still make hand loads and spend a fair amount of my time developing loads.

4. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

I know a guy who makes 30K a year on a SS. He has been married for years. I think the press deserves all the credit.

5. DWARREN123

DWARREN123
    Expand Collapse
    Grumpy Old Guy

I like my Lee single stage. Let's me check each step and make good ammo.

6. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

I started w/ a ss press 36yrs ago & still use it today quite a bit. I load all my precision rifle on it as well as occasional handgun stuff. I am not breaking down my 550B or 650 to load 20 test rounds of 44mag or heavy 45colt. The progressive are great though for popping out 200rds the night before a match though. In much less than 20min, I am ready for a days shooting.

#6 fredj338, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  7. El_Ron1

El_Ron1
    Expand Collapse
    AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

[​IMG]

Great presses, had mine since 1981. Gets mounted for some chores at least once every two to three years or so. I need to come up with a die that will crush SPP .45 ACP brass into harmless buttons and sell them on etsy.

8. norton

norton
    Expand Collapse

My rock chucker is mounted next to my Dillon 550. When I load on the dillon I feel like I'm on the assembly line. The R/C feels like crafting ammo. I load my low volume rounds-.44 mag, .40 S/W, .17 Remington on the Chucker.
    Sounds like you have a sweet gig.
    Load on.

9. PCJim

PCJim
    Expand Collapse

I can't call you crazy. If I had plenty of spare time and limited funds, I too would (probably) be loading on my RCBS Reloader Special 2, purchased back in '83. It loaded many a round for me before I bought the 550b which is my mainstay now. Like Fred, I still use the RS2 for working up pistol and rifle loads where I want to trickle charge the powder for as consistent as possible testing of rounds. It also sees the first of the case prep work for .223, where I'll use the resizing die and run all the lubed cases thru (they get finished off on the 550b after the remaining prep is completed).

No, I can't find any fault with anyone wanting to load on a SS press. I still think that it is the best way to truly learn the process without encumbering oneself with the distractions of other stages on a turret or progressive press. But, that could also be because that is how I learned to reload. Batch work, each step completed on the batch before the next step is performed.

Nothing like seeing three reload trays full of powder charged cases, all with even height charges.

10. DoctaGlockta

DoctaGlockta
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

11. rewster

rewster
    Expand Collapse
    Silver Member

Ok ! You're crazy !!! :wow:

BUT, I use a Lee single stage and I love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

12. Ceapea

Ceapea
    Expand Collapse

I too have an old RCBS RS2, SS press and love it!!
    I got it from my brother last year at this time. So far, I have 14,ooo loaded and another 4k prepped to the point of just needing powder and bullet seating. That's a lot of handle pulling, but I can keep up with my 200-500 rounds/week need on that press and I still haven't found the need to step up to a progressive.

So, I'm with you too.

Have fun, be safe.

#12 Ceapea, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  13. AA#5

AA#5
    Expand Collapse

I'm crazy too. I've been using my Rockchucker for 30 years & never considered a progressive. I also prime with a hand primer away from the press. I keep several boxes of primed, belled & inspected brass in my favorite calibers & that makes me about 1 hour away from each 100 rounds loaded.

I've never had any problems or unpleasant surprises at the range, either.

14. unclebob

unclebob
    Expand Collapse

Why not just remove the button from station 3 pull the case out add the powder and put it back in station 3 add the bullet and seat the bullet. All stations are full and you are using the same dies as when you start loading with the progressive. You just use the powder measure to bell the case.

15. ron59

ron59
    Expand Collapse
    Bustin Caps

I started reloading just over 2 years ago. Yes, it was a blast. Now it's a chore. I shoot ~1500 rounds per month. That's a lot. I can't even imagine producing that many on a single stage. I don't even like doing that on my 550B.

16. PCJim

PCJim
    Expand Collapse

Bob, that would certainly work, but I'd have to dedicate another toolhead for cartridges that, up to this point, have had limited reloading. I hadn't reloaded 44mag for two years or more, as the last batch was more than ample for the limited shooting I've done since with the Blackhawk. I recently picked up a Contender in 44mag and have developed those rounds on the SS. When I figure out how much use the cartridge will see, I may set up the dies on a spare toolhead.

Then again, I do like the nostalgic feeling I get when I set down with that press.

17. EL_NinO619

EL_NinO619
    Expand Collapse
    EX-Swage Monkey

I love my LEE SS as much as my LnL

18. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

You guys are all SICK.

19. meleors

meleors
    Expand Collapse
    Cranky Member

Well, you asked for it. You're crazy! But yeah, the simplicity of a SS loading session can be a calm, relaxing, and stress reducing pleasure. Sometimes slow and steady wins the race.

20. PhantomF4E

PhantomF4E
    Expand Collapse

I'm in on the Rockchucker club. All I have used in over 30 years. Now I do have two set up on the bench though.