California gen 4 question?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by richie3888, Feb 15, 2010.

1. The best store in the bay area I've been to is Canyon Sports in Martinez. Very friendly staff and impressive inventory. I just bought a Glock from them and be coming back often.
    http://www.canyon-sports.com/

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. I used to live in California, I now reside in Sparks Nevada. It is amazing how things change when you cross that imaginary line they call the border, it is a different world up here.

3. The reason that the Gen 4s can't come in is that they lack the magazine disconnect. Simple as that. Neither can the XDm although the XD was listed before the disconnect requirement so it's ok.

Guns that were previously approved can stay approved. All the manufacturer has to do is pay the renewal fee. If this wasn't the case, all the 1911's would have dropped off long ago. Obviously, they haven't. I just picked up my Sig 1911 today.

However, I did note that a few hundred guns dropped off the list at the end of 2011. There's a list that shows up when you Google for 'california approved firearms':
    http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

Look at the link on the bottom of the page for the guns that are no longer approved.

It is worth using Google to look for 'single shot exemption'. You will find, among other links:
    http://www.directactionsolutions.net/single-shot-exemption-explanation/

I think there is a lawsuit wandering around challenging the idea that the state can require special features or declare guns unsafe after they have been accepted by the BATFE. I have only heard rumors and I don't know anything about it. CalGuns.net might know more.

Richard

4. Because everything that "they" don't want you to have is illegal in California. :wolf:

5. Plenty of gen 4 Glocks are legal to purchase through the single shot exemption. You may pay a premium for the hassle, but it is worth it to some.

Try Valkyrie Arms in Milpitas. They are one of the cooler gun shops in the bay area. They manufacture their own lowers and have a pretty good AK smith in house.

6. :rofl::rofl:I know I live in a pretty pathetic state, but California takes the cake. The only thing that state has going for it anymore is the weather.

7. Bowtie

Bowtie NRA MEMBER

I'm not going to point fingers but there are states in the US that have it worse..

8. I agree with you 100%. I was born in CA and actually I think it is Gods country, but it is getting pretty ridiculous with all the BS laws, let alone the cost to live there.

9. Its the liberal legislature that is killing this State, and now we have Moonbeam who wants yo raise taxes again.

No magazine disconnect no Kali approval! Gen 3 is better anyway.

10. Bowtie

Bowtie NRA MEMBER

I agree with you...But even our crazy gun laws aren't as bad as some..Don't even get me started on the cost to live here..Its insane.

11. Bowtie

Bowtie NRA MEMBER

Thank God I can still buy 1911's without issue..:supergrin:

12. I hear you. We sold our house in San Jose in 1976 for $56,000 and now that same house is $800,000.

13. Wasn't there a thread just a few days ago that told you how to legally purchase a gen4 in California?

I was born in SoCal and lived most of my life there and don't miss it at all. I really thought I was going to miss the perfect weather, but never happened.

#53 High Altitude, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  14. I have a Gen4 G19 legally purchased in California.

Purchasing any "off roster" gun is extremely easy. Lots of ways, from buying it face to face from someone who brought it in legally from another state to having what is called Single Shot Exemption (SSE, an oddity that you can search and find out more).

Adds a few dollars, but is really no big deal.

Bill

15. bentbiker

bentbiker NRA Member

16. There are a number of 1911's available. But I don't think the Colt Gold Cup is among them.

I just picked up a Sig 1911 and the store had a Colt Combat Government, something from Springfield Armory, a nice Kimber, an S&W and a couple of others. So quality 1911's are available.

I have a fancy Gold Cup with gold leaf on the slide. It's an IPSC commemorative 1 of 200 gun and I just don't want to use it in a holster. I would really like to find a plain Gold Cup.

Richard

17. No...it's California.:rofl:

18. Hi, guys! :wavey: Sorry to bring bad news . This is why I think they will never make it onto the California Roster: The guns don't have a magazine detach safety. CA currently asks that all guns manufactured after... 2008?? 2009??? Has a safety that will not fire the last round in the chamber, if no magazine is in the magwell. All guns already on the roster are grandfathered in, such as Gen3 and prior. But the new guns will not be allowed.

To change the design of the Gen4, I feel, would be to take away what that gun is. --and the XDMs for that matter. I'm sorry :( California is hell on firearms. I'm glad I left the state!

19. Yes, I've had my CWL since 91 or 92

Don't you remember that commercial..... "Waz Zup"